Walls

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

My first attempt at trying to do something a little fancy
Image
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Walls

Unread post by Hoihe »

Looks nice. A bit thinking ahead but where do you plan to have this area located?
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Oh I was thinking it would be in a mountainous region, I haven't looked at any maps but perhaps pushing further into the north? I'd be open to ideas suggestions, I hadn't really thought as far as it even being accepted to be honest, there is a damn high standard on our server. I think I'd need one or two designers to go over my map/maps afterwards and help me tweak the textures also.

I'm also wanting to design some nice UD stuff or at least experiment with some UD-esque content and designs.

Are there areas of Faerun that people want to explore that havent been taken or considered yet? I'd be up for trying to design something that people want to see, this current project is really only to see if I can get a working prototype. People seem to be reacting positively so far so who knows I might get the green light at some point when I submit it for consideration :)
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Walls

Unread post by Hoihe »

If you ever decide that rocky is bad, snowy is good... :)
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Did a quick snow conversion for you :)

Image
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Walls

Unread post by Hoihe »

Hooray!

You're my second hero!
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Are there lots of snowy areas lacking on the server?
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Walls

Unread post by Hoihe »

The more the better. Snow that isn't cold is something I enjoy.


Snowy areas are the ones south of Nashkel.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Snow that isn't cold? as in an area that isnt sub zero but just a bit chilly?
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Walls

Unread post by Hoihe »

As in virtual snow :p.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Oh I see sorry bit slow on the uptake. I've decided to keep going with it as a snow area for the moment also :) the one thing I have noticed is the dirty snow and icy dirty textures look much better than the default snow texture which looks like it was designed to burn a whole in the eyes of the builder with the gamma intensity of it ! :shock:
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Some more textures and details:

Trying to create ice crags using low pressure solid colour
Image

A curious snow leopard investigates the remains of some travels who perished long ago on the mountain trails.
Image

Image

Image
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Designing a path through a precarious ravine and what the walkmesh allows you to do are two very different things haha :P but I'll keep pressing on for something quite interesting. The grass is purely a marker point for me to know the route.

Image
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
mrieder79
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am

Re: Walls

Unread post by mrieder79 »

A very neat idea, but when you are doing a ravine, make sure you build up, not sink down. If you sink down, the camera angle will keep getting messed up and the player will become frustrated. Better to make your path, then raise peaks around it.
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Walls

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Ah damn! I guess the quick fix here would be to raise up the traced out route:

Image

then use the flatten tool to bring up the drops and rebuild peaks.

Thanks for the advice :)!
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”