Custom creature thread

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

Thrasher
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:43 am
Location: USA

Custom creature thread

Unread post by Thrasher »

Hey everyone, posting progress on the grimlock. The ref I used: Image And my current iteration: Image Looks like a happy clown. Gonna tweak his skin and give him rags. Still messing around with the plugins and tutorials on editing things to get it into the toolset. :?

Oh, comments and critiques are most welcome!
-Michael Thelissar
adzling
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by adzling »

fantastic!
are you using zbrush?

i did the cloaks, shields, fist and charnag armor and custom helmet for the fist in-game, it was relatively easy to model but damn hard to get in-game.

i'd recommend farking around with getting something real simple in-game asap.
it's not the modelling that's hard, (well it is but if you know how to model it's not) it's getting it in-game that's a total PITA.

I've read the online tutes for rigging and getting a humanoid model in-game and shit it made me cry just reading it so kudos to you for attempting it i can't wait to see what you can produce!

regarding the model it looks good for where you are in the process, obviously you need to add in the texturing for the skin to make it look all warty and diseased and shit.

keep up the good work!
http://bgtscc.fomwaa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=78
Welcome to Sshamath!
jmbrosendo
Retired Staff
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by jmbrosendo »

Turn it's skin blue and it would make a perfect Xvart!


Great stuff there. :)
Forever thankful and amazed at all the hard work of DMs, developers and staff that kept running and improving the server over the years.

Login: Cachucho
Thrasher
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:43 am
Location: USA

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by Thrasher »

adzling - Yep, using zbrush. I totally agree with the pain of getting 'em in game. I've found a useful tutorial that I'm going through: http://neverwinternights2.rpg-mods.com/ ... ables.html But it's still a tough and thorough process. Make custom model, rig to previously made model, make sure all the materials are set... List goes on and on!

jimbrosendo - Thanks! Good idea on the xvart too, I think it'd be pretty funny to see them in game. (Maybe even rip the old sounds from BG?) :lol:
-Michael Thelissar
adzling
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by adzling »

there's a better tute for rigging models in zbrush.

try this guy's blog:

http://nwn2faithless.blogspot.com/

he has a step-by-step on how to get a model rigged in 3d studio and use the crappy tools to get the shiznit into nwn2.

look towards january 2009 for his entries on modeling and rigging.
http://bgtscc.fomwaa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=78
Welcome to Sshamath!
Thrasher
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:43 am
Location: USA

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by Thrasher »

adzling - Tutorial is exactly what I needed! Plus he goes into good detail over the process.

Narks - It's alright, I've been doing it for five to six years now and I'm still not as talented as many other people I see online. :( But I'll do what I can. :geek:

On a side note: Should a grimlock have nipples?? I don't know how they reproduce anyway...

After this will be the tomes/book request and then I want to make an owlbear XD
-Michael Thelissar
adzling
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by adzling »

owlbear is out there i believe.
check the bioware forums

ad yeah that tute is the best one for getting a creature model into nwn2.
it shows just how insanely painstaking a process it is.
you might want to start off with something simpler (like a helmet or weapon) just to get a feel for it.

i built a drow hand xbow as well that is in game (you can select it as an alt appearance for any lightcrossbow).
http://bgtscc.fomwaa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=78
Welcome to Sshamath!
Eviloth
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 pm
Location: Michigan, United States

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by Eviloth »

Let me tell you that Grimlock is UTTERLY AWESOME. Very much impressed and I wish I could even begin to understand the complexity of how much time/effort you have already put into building such a thing. KUDOS to you!

Is the Grimlock going to be a playable race or just a monster? I hope both, however, I hope alot of things :)

I was curious if the Quaggoth monster could be used as well as a monster/playable race.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Quaggoth
"Seriously, the Maw?"Cazna Sshamath
"Dhaerrow, I will kill you then I am going to kill that little witch Yathrin you are leashed too.Le'alvath Greenbow
mar3usmc
Retired Staff
Posts: 663
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:53 am

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by mar3usmc »

Very nice Thrasher,

If you want some descriptive reading you can find it here,

http://issuu.com/misantropia/docs/d20-- ... -underdark

The one thing you may want to try to do, from that description, page 13, is to remove the eye sockets, as they have none.

Great work, and once you are done with that I have a slew of other challenges for you starting with,

Chitines, page 7 and 8, for a UD town I have planned.

Owlbear would be hilarious. I am sure a few DMs would like to sic them on a few specific players.
I'm the guy that kills you by using your own greed and stupidity against you while making you laugh about it.
Enjoy!
Eviloth
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 pm
Location: Michigan, United States

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by Eviloth »

Owlbears? YES! But what about the good old Bulette(Landshark)? Don't they hate the taste of elves or something odd like that?
"Seriously, the Maw?"Cazna Sshamath
"Dhaerrow, I will kill you then I am going to kill that little witch Yathrin you are leashed too.Le'alvath Greenbow
adzling
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by adzling »

the bullete has also been done i beleive.....
i saw it somewhere online a while back
http://bgtscc.fomwaa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=78
Welcome to Sshamath!
Thrasher
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:43 am
Location: USA

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by Thrasher »

lol landsharks...

mar3usmc - Thanks for the heads up, I was debating early on whether or not to put them in. I'll go back and smooth it out. Nearly done. I've been detailing his skin all day :cry: and giving him some rags to wear so he's not running around UD butt naked (Though I guess clothes would be optional for a blind monster?). Finally got my plug-ins up and running and got my NWN2 toolset working again. Progress! I'll be sure to get those other creatures started once I get this bad boy in game.

Eviloth - Thanks for the compliment! Keeps me going :D As for the quaggoth, we'll see... ;) As for a playable race, it'd be tricky but I don't mind a challenge. :ugeek:

adzling - The only owlbear I found was one for NWN and wasn't too happy with their texturing. I saw the WIP of a NWN2 one but didn't see any finished posts/links.
-Michael Thelissar
Sir_Carnifex
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by Sir_Carnifex »

Nice work on the model.

The owlbear, I believe, was discontinued for NWN2 for one reason or another.

As for getting models in game, I've not found it hard at all to do helmets and get them to show. It's an arduous process, but not exactly hard once you know what you're doing. Admittedly, the first couple of times it seemed extremely complex though.
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by Luna »

Sweet... :P
Eviloth
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 pm
Location: Michigan, United States

Re: Custom creature thread

Unread post by Eviloth »

Threads like this keep my addiction(NWN2) going! :)
"Seriously, the Maw?"Cazna Sshamath
"Dhaerrow, I will kill you then I am going to kill that little witch Yathrin you are leashed too.Le'alvath Greenbow

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”