I have noticed for some time that I can often understand what others are saying in other languages, even if I don't have the language. This seems to be based on a Lore Check.
My question is, what are the limits on this? Are Common languages easer to understand with a Lore check than Rare languages? Are Exclusive languages impossible to translate (Drow, Druidic, Whale)?
I'm hoping the answer is "Yes" to these questions. As a Bard, I am a high-lore character, but it seems nonsensical that I can interpret a language that I should never have been exposed to.
Language Lore
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
vetinari
- Posts: 120
- Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:24 pm
- Location: New Hampshire
Language Lore
Alison "the Harlequin" Schlump: Human Jester
A thousand years of torture rule,
The knave who dares to harm a Fool
-Fool, Christopher Moore
A thousand years of torture rule,
The knave who dares to harm a Fool
-Fool, Christopher Moore
-
HaberdasherofDoom
- Posts: 627
- Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:13 am
Re: Language Lore
Actually, from a combination of what you know body language and situations it is possible to understand snippets of a language you have never ever seen or heard spoken. Being an American and being typical with only having one language I can tell you that if you are dropped in a place with no native langauge skills you will pick up something eventually so its not as nonsensical as you might think.
Wthyran Tal - Drooling, scarred and generally acidic.
Tarnok Deadsbane - Talk about guilt.
Respect earned, never given.
Tarnok Deadsbane - Talk about guilt.
Respect earned, never given.