Question about Roleplaying
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
Teaboar
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:38 am
Question about Roleplaying
I've never played on an RP server before, and I'm curious how strict you are about this? I read the server rules and I realize that you're not allowed to talk out of character etc. , however, if I don't feel like going for the role play heavy approach and just want to log on to do some hunting for instance, am I required to communicate and role-play back at someone who tries to do so to me? Don't get me wrong, I can see myself giving role-playing a try, but I still need to know how strict you are about this before I start playing.
-
Maecius
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 11639
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:24 pm
Re: Question about Roleplaying
We are a roleplaying server, but out of character (OOC) communication is not strictly prohibited. We do ask that you mark OOC talk with double parentheses "((" or double backslash "//" to communicate to others that it is you speaking, and not your character; and we ask that you do not chat OOC when others around you are trying to roleplay.
As far as people trying to interact with your character with their characters, you are required to roleplay with them, yes. You can brush them off with a nod, shrug, or glare, if you want to get rid of them; but you have to get rid of them in-character. The people who play here expect roleplay from the other players, being that it is a roleplay server; and we expect all of our players to roleplay.
All in all, I'd recommend giving us a go, in spite of your reservations. It's very easy after a little while, and it's a good outlet for creative writing. You can always leave if you decide that roleplaying is not for you, right?
As far as people trying to interact with your character with their characters, you are required to roleplay with them, yes. You can brush them off with a nod, shrug, or glare, if you want to get rid of them; but you have to get rid of them in-character. The people who play here expect roleplay from the other players, being that it is a roleplay server; and we expect all of our players to roleplay.
All in all, I'd recommend giving us a go, in spite of your reservations. It's very easy after a little while, and it's a good outlet for creative writing. You can always leave if you decide that roleplaying is not for you, right?
r e s o u r c e s :
- BG:TSCC Wiki
- Community News
- Server Rules and Information
- Supporting BG:TSCC-
Teaboar
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:38 am
Re: Question about Roleplaying
Thank you for the reply. I think I will give your server a try, but I'd be interested to know some more. To continue on my last question, what if I pick a class/prestige class such as palemaster for my character, does that require me to role-play an evil, or at least a non-good character? I read that divine casters at least have to role-play their character according to their deity with (to me) great accuracy. I mean I'm not sure that I know enough of the lore to even do that convincingly.