Titles of Respect

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Redcap
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:01 pm
Location: Texas

Titles of Respect

Unread post by Redcap »

As a lower level player I try and be polite to the people who I think or are more powerful than me. I try sir and called someone Lord tonight and it didn't go over well.

What are some titles of respect I can use in a RP way? I got Lord from Renaissance Fairs so I guess that's not good, I don't want to run around calling people Hey Mr guy will you hire me or say anything that others will take in the wrong way
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Titles of Respect

Unread post by Luna »

* Approved for replies *
Hydrocarbonated
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Titles of Respect

Unread post by Hydrocarbonated »

From an older post, I believe quoted from the FRCS:

The Basics:

Most realms across Faerûn have some form of nobility, and many also have ruling royalty. All have officials who sport titles, from a simple "Master of the ..." to such mouthfuls as "His Most Exalted and Terrible, Beloved of the Gods and Venerable Before All His People, Hereditary and-may-his-line-prosper-forever ..." Many long and involved tomes at Candlekeep outline the intricacies of the various systems of titles, their ranks and precedence. Here's a brief overview.
POSITION                  MALE          FEMALE
Commoner                  Goodman       Goodwife or Maid
Knight, Officer           Sir           Lady or Lady Sir
Mayor, Warden,            Lord          Lady or Lady Lord
Commander, Seneschal
Baron, Count              Milord        Milady
Duke, Viscount, Marquis   High Lord     High Lady
Grand Duke, Prince        Highness      Highness
King, Queen, Archduke     Majesty       Majesty
General titles for nobility of uncertain rank include "Zor/Zora" in Mulmaster, "Syl" in Calimshan, and "Saer" (for both genders) almost everywhere else. This latter term also applies to children of nobility too young or low-ranking to have been awarded titles of their own.

In general Heartlands usage, if the head of a noble house is "Lord Grayhill," his children are all "Saer [name] Grayhill." His widowed or aged parents, or older uncles and aunts living but bypassed in precedence are "Old Lord (or Lady) Grayhill."

Various Faerûnian professions and races have popular verbal greetings and farewells, but "Well met" for both is almost universal. Oloré ("oh-LOR-ay") serves the same purpose around the Sea of Fallen Stars, and human nobles are adopting the elven "Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." Merchants of all races often use the terse dwarven "I go."
Arivain - A man of guts and bravery, after all.
Ward Williamson - "(expletive) insane."
DM Sword
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Titles of Respect

Unread post by DM Sword »

If you meet a dwarf, they usually take kindly to being refered to as "master dwarf," "axemaster," or just compliment their beard. :D
devildog30
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:35 pm
Location: In a bungalow on the outskirts of jerkville

Re: Titles of Respect

Unread post by devildog30 »

Here's a link that pretty much covers everything.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?T ... hichpage=1
Sir Justin Crownsilver: "I am a Crownsilver, however least regarded of those who bear that proud name."

Return to “Questions for DMs”