[DM] Illuminated’s Events and Guidelines
MISSION:
My mission, as a DM, is very simple: I seek to bring the world of Baldur's Gate: The Sword Coast Chronicles to life for as many players as I am able. To this end, I will be running small "flavor" encounters -- interspersing Forgotten Realms lore and history into the encounter as I am able -- just as often as I will be running large events.
Do not be surprised if you run into a small group of bandits seeking shelter from the rain in a cave on one of your adventures; or a traveling ranger out in the woods; or a drunken brawl in one of the inns or taverns. I feel that these small encounters will do as much to bring the world alive for the players as will my larger, more player-centric "events."
And that, ultimately, is my goal as a DM: To create a more reactive and more real environment for you, the player.
RULES:
I try not to be too strict when it comes to my own, personal rules of play. I want you to be flexible, to come up with your own ways of solving the problems I place before you, and to interact with the environment as you feel your character would. But there are central points that I feel are very important, and which I must insist you take note of when you are interacting with me in one of my events:
Party chat: keep to it at all times, when possible. This allows the DM to keep track of dialogue produced and plans even when they are not near the players. Most of the time, DMs will be in another area setting everything up in advance and planning. On the other hand, remember that those outside the party will not see what you type in, so if encountering another player, check your "/p" sign before hitting Enter.
Always stay in a single party, even if not requested. Keep a small eye for anyone who crashed or has asked to join the group in midsession. If you are going to split teams be sure to ask or at least give a warning.
Keep yourselves grouped. Separating or straying is sometimes a necessity, but forces the DM to constantly jump around all over the place. This will have an impact on the fluidity of the session and ultimately on the quality, as well as making the DM more susceptible to error.
Do not produce OOC comments, unless you're letting all know you will be AFK. Use tells, if you need to speak to another player. Good wit once in a while may lighten the moods; a barrage of it breaks immersion and breaks the line of thought.
Comments or suggestions on how the event went are welcome, but be sure to make note of it and save them for the end of the event. Be sensible and reasonable if you are displeased by anything and do not ruin the fun for the rest. All constructive criticisms are taken seriously.
Don't run unless you actually have to in RP manner. I.E you are running away from a monster. It's much easier for a DM to set and plan everything if you are not bouncing around or rushing from place A to B.
Creative Solutions Create Great Roleplay: Roleplaying is collaborative storytelling, and I refuse to have my own storytelling hobbled by the limitations of a video game. I highly encourage you to interact to the situations I place before you with your own, creative, in-character solutions: If you wish to dive into the river to get away from someone -- do it. If you wish to cast a spell that isn't available to you in-game, but that exists in the D&D source material, and that your character has adequate cause to have access to -- do it. If you wish to climb a tree to get a better view of your surroundings -- do it (but be prepared to roll some strength, and, or, dexterity checks). In short, don't let the game stop your brain; approach everything as would your character.
The "No Sleeping While Slaying" Law: I ask that players do not rest during my events, except when I explicitly give you permission to do so. I feel that resting regularly during an event not only ruins the immersion, but also limits (if not entirely eliminates) the possibility of roleplaying certain situations (exhaustion and injury; healing by bandage or spell; etc.) and sidelines the importance of certain classes (particularly noncaster classes). Resting without permission will be punished with an experience penalty.
If you are going to use dice/skill rolls, please tell me about it. It's quite confusing sometimes when a player just throws a roll and doesn't actually tell what that roll is for or what he is trying to accomplish with it. It's good to give note even if it is a quite clearly case. When I give permission to roll, you roll then and there. You don't get to buff up, rest and buff, heal, remove penalties, etc... You roll in your current condition when I say roll.
Please avoid being fully buffed throughout the event and only use them if you know there's going to be battle or during one.
The Golden Rule: I expect players to treat each other civilly, even when they don't particularly like one another. Ideally we'll all get along, but even if some of us do not, player-to-player cruelty or harassment will absolutely not be tolerated by either myself or by the others on staff. Remember that this is a game, and we are all playing it to relax and enjoy ourselves: The moment things become too heated between players (as opposed to their characters), I will intervene. If you are at fault, you will not be happy with my intervention.
CONCLUSION:
In conclusion, I hope to bring the world to life in three ways: By providing small, unexpected encounters to individual players and groups; by providing events and quests that people can involve themselves in; And by providing story arcs that are tailor-made to individual player characters.
In exchange, I expect you to respect your fellow players; to remember that this is a game and we're all playing it to have fun; and to respect the rules of the server and the community. If you can do these three things, we will get along great!
Shamelessly quoted from other DM pages.