Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

Was this helpful?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Yes
3
100%
Sort of
0
No votes
Not really
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 3

tfunke
Retired Staff
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
Location: Australia- GMT+10

Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by tfunke »

As some of you know, I've just being working on a Gnoll Stronghold for the past week.
I've saved myself some screenies each time I closed down the toolset and wanted to share them with you guys to show you how I go about building an area.
They sort of show an area being built over time- (you'll see in the final screenshot, why this area isn't taking very long to do :D)

First thing I do though, is open up the picture that i'm using to sketch from in paint and resize it and split it into the same amount of squares that my exterior area has, like this:
Image

On my blank canvass, I paint down the paths and water as well as place down the basic outline of the stronghold (using walls). I also flatten the terrain inside the walls of the Stronghold for each relevant level.
Image

Next, using the Flatten/smooth/raise/lower tools (with Airbrush Plugin) I sculpt the terrain to how I want it to be...
Image

I recolour the base texture for the area to one i'd prefer as well as go nuts placing down RWS Cliff Placeables surrounding the paths.. they are not re-aligned at this stage, I just threw them down roughly where I wanted them to be.
Image

Thrown down more Cliffs and begun to line each one up correctly, both in height and size.
Image

Selected a series of (tintable) rocks that i'd use around the area and placed them off the side for easy selection. Again, went nuts throwing them down willy nilly.. (willy nilly? Does anyone ever use that anymore!? :D) I've then rotated/lined them up accordingly.
Image

thrown down more cliffs and rocks and also added some standard RockFace placeables.
Image

Selected my trees for the area (6 seeds) as well as begun to sculpt the pits out of the Stronghold's floor.
Image

Just retextured the Stronghold itself and begun working on the inside of the stronghold.
Image

Used multibrush plugin to quickly paint the exterior area, (which i'll then go over once more at the end to texture properly) as well as various other little things you can hardly notice in this pic. (fyi- that texturing took me 5 minutes to do with Multibrush plugin)
Image

I've retextured the Gnoll Stronghold's 'floor' (no shading/colouring yet) as well as carve out the 'lower' sections, by the Pits.
Image

Now here is a picture of the area, with enviornmental objects switched off! It also shows why this area really isn't taking me too long to do, since most of it is hidden underneath things. Love it.
Image


Anyway, I thought someone might find this helpful

Important note if you decide to use the Airbrush plugin
... while it is installed, you cannot double click placeables from the Area Contents menu to zoom to them. To get around this, you need to remove the plugin. (for example, when I had to go around the area placing rocks and cliffs, i needed to remove the airbrush plugin (after having used it to sculpt the terrain) so I could quickly move to the rocks and cliffs around the area)
I replaced the plugin again once this was done, so that I can now use it for texturing.

Peace.
Last edited by tfunke on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Per aspera ad astra
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by Luna »

pretty awesome.

When people see stuff like that it should make them appreciate how much work goes into 1 great area.
IAmDeathComeForThee
Retired Staff
Posts: 1408
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by IAmDeathComeForThee »

Nicely done tfunke. It's interesting to see the techniques others use to build an area. Looks like this is coming along nicely man. :)
"good is never as good as it's supposed to be. Although evil is often every bit as bad." -Richard Lee Byers.
Ivan38Rus
Retired Staff
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by Ivan38Rus »

Can I suggest moving it for general populace to see?

Because, there is a terrible lack of guidance on how to build exteriors properly in general.... and, as Luna said, it makes them appreciate all the work even more.
tfunke
Retired Staff
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
Location: Australia- GMT+10

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by tfunke »

Here's a shot of the stronghold as it is now. (almost done)
Image
Per aspera ad astra
virtualangel
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by virtualangel »

Wow, very impressive.

You make it look so easy. ;)
Baldur's Gate
Acheron Shadowbow - Master Archer
Aindon - Sellsword
Eon Fawkes - Cleric of Mielikki
Gimval Boarstead - Dwarven Slayer


Sshamath
Ustvelve Jaezred - First Blade of House Jaezred
muffinFBSL
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by muffinFBSL »

tfunke for president!
Gixustrat
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:41 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by Gixustrat »

Wow that looks incredible!! I've been reading up on the toolset. Always wanted to DM as I'm a nut for it, and I love running events...but I think building the locations where things can take place may be more for me.

Can't wait to run through the zone...quite excited, and thank you.
Graendal - Bard of the Seasons
Guggilli Oneshot - Bing Bang Boom
Eisenhorn - Spells Spells Spells
Online TAG: Entreri00
Immovablepotts
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:29 am

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by Immovablepotts »

Thats art. You did amazing.
And gave me some insite in the way I should aproch making maps looks sexy.
Kevril Dar'Shiro
Wra1thstouch
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:21 pm
Location: Your bed.

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by Wra1thstouch »

WOwzz! I can't wait to play this area! Hurry up :) Where is it going to be?




Oh... a cave in the xvart area?
Lolotte Ironfaar
Moshannyn
Vorrus
Carroc Cloventoe
Oriax Fellflame

"I could stand around a camp fire and call it RPing..." -Mammothtruk
mute83
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:20 pm
Location: in my cave (denmark)

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by mute83 »

I think it was out in some time ago
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
Wra1thstouch
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:21 pm
Location: Your bed.

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by Wra1thstouch »

I missed it? Damn. What's the CR?
Lolotte Ironfaar
Moshannyn
Vorrus
Carroc Cloventoe
Oriax Fellflame

"I could stand around a camp fire and call it RPing..." -Mammothtruk
tfunke
Retired Staff
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
Location: Australia- GMT+10

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by tfunke »

Hasn't been released yet. Luna is very busy at the moment doing a two man job on his own lately. It'll get IG sometime over the next month or so I would imagine. :)

CR? - around 15. Elder Ogres will inhabit the place... not Gnolls like the old OC.
Per aspera ad astra
dzidek1983
Posts: 1248
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Poland

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by dzidek1983 »

tfunke wrote:CR? - around 15. Elder Ogres will inhabit the place... not Gnolls like the old OC.
why ogres?
thats another giant area on the surface

cant we make something more like a player race but evil

i would LOVE to se it as a human fortress run by an evil wizard and his army of fighters
they terrorize the surroundings raiding Nashkel
ewentually get swarmed by Gnoll army


another giant is not attractive for me :)
Hey, I just lost it, And this is crazy, But here's my login, So PM me, maybe?
tfunke
Retired Staff
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
Location: Australia- GMT+10

Re: Exterior Area- by screenshots:

Unread post by tfunke »

dzidek1983 wrote:i would LOVE to se it as a human fortress run by an evil wizard and his army of fighters
they terrorize the surroundings raiding Nashkel
You are welcome to join the building team and do something like this. We could always use more people that are willing to build new areas. ;)
dzidek1983 wrote:why ogres?
After much staff discussion, it was decided on Ogres, as really.. the Ogre population hasn't been given too much justice on the server, let's be honest... Perhaps Humanoids could do as you say via an event, who knows... it's a dynamic server :)
Peace
Per aspera ad astra

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”