I was wondering as I often do about mundane matters, whether or not it would be acceptable to RP a hin as a child of human/elven/half-elven decent instead of directly playing them as a halfling/hin?
To me it would make sense but I figured it would be good to get an official response, incase anybody else wondered this in the future.
A small matter of hins
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
A small matter of hins
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
Eldebryn
- Posts: 253
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:00 pm
- Location: Somewhere in the Realms
Re: A small matter of hins
If I recall correctly all characters on the PW are required to be at least 16 in human years, so you can't play a child IC.
//Local Time = GMT+2
//Founder of The 7th Circle [Private forums]
Eldebryn Rilynghym Let the past crumble to dust. I have the Art... I, Magus...
Mage of Sshamath and teacher of the Art
Gaerdred Dawnfire Paladin of Torm, born and raised in Baldur's Gate
//Founder of The 7th Circle [Private forums]
Eldebryn Rilynghym Let the past crumble to dust. I have the Art... I, Magus...
Mage of Sshamath and teacher of the Art
Gaerdred Dawnfire Paladin of Torm, born and raised in Baldur's Gate
-
Simian
- Posts: 1439
- Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:42 am
- Location: On a Journey to the West
Re: A small matter of hins
Some might accept that you are playing a child, however, I think quite larger number of players would just think your character is either simply insane, or suffering from some sort of heridatory birth defect.
Oh, I am not a member of the staff... but... it is how players would react. >_>
Oh, I am not a member of the staff... but... it is how players would react. >_>
"Qítiān Dàshèng (齊天大聖)"
"I warrant your attention?! Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
"I warrant your attention?! Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
-
Blunkanthrust
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
- Location: UK
Re: A small matter of hins
Oh I know I agree most people would play it off like the hin was mad, but a good RP'er would hopefully see what the person is doing and allow the player their creative freedom. I don't personally have any plans to play a child character any time soon, it was more a general question incase anyone wondered about it in the future, or wanted to RP two characters having a baby etc...
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
-
BlueHero45
- Recognized Donor
- Posts: 1208
- Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:48 am
- Location: PA
Re: A small matter of hins
The last time this came up the staff was against it. Play whats on your character sheet is the normal response. Am not a member of the staff, its up to them for the final answer
Rhys Feivra-Sun elf, wizard
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
-
Rainbow Prism
- Posts: 400
- Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:57 am
Re: A small matter of hins
We have an answer for this kind of question from staff: RP what is on your character sheet.
When someone calls you elitist, he automatically admits that your RP is superior to his.
-
kewell1000
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:55 am
Re: A small matter of hins
RP is always good but realism have to maintained (Fantasy realism that is
)
How would you justify your fighting skills unless never got into battle?
A Child should have strength way lower that 8 and the same goes with intelligence, wisdom and constitution.
In my oppinon you would break the RP of your character every time you ventured into a fight.
With that said all characters are some sort of adventurer (unless they venture into monster hunting which I think 99% are at some point). And it would be unrealistick to have a child as an adventurer.
So even though your thoughts are creative and trying to enhance your RP experience I actually think it's bad RP as it's completely unrealistick.
How would you justify your fighting skills unless never got into battle?
A Child should have strength way lower that 8 and the same goes with intelligence, wisdom and constitution.
In my oppinon you would break the RP of your character every time you ventured into a fight.
With that said all characters are some sort of adventurer (unless they venture into monster hunting which I think 99% are at some point). And it would be unrealistick to have a child as an adventurer.
So even though your thoughts are creative and trying to enhance your RP experience I actually think it's bad RP as it's completely unrealistick.
Valkana Maijere
Jenna Valarious
Jaya Valen
Liliana Valen
Jenna Valarious
Jaya Valen
Liliana Valen
-
Charraj
- Posts: 2741
- Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:38 pm
- Location: EST
Re: A small matter of hins
In general, we have a "play what's on your sheet" policy.
In the past, for DM-supervised one-shot events, hins have been allowed to be NPC children. But for a PC, a hin should be a hin.
*nodnod*
In the past, for DM-supervised one-shot events, hins have been allowed to be NPC children. But for a PC, a hin should be a hin.
*nodnod*
Molly Longshot - Wheeee!
Sempo - Former butler, wandering priest
Mara - Paladin of Jergal
Tabby - Hedge witch, former bandit
Charraj Cain - Mystran. Dead.
DM Mister Rogers - It's such a good feeling to know that we're lifelong friends.
Sempo - Former butler, wandering priest
Mara - Paladin of Jergal
Tabby - Hedge witch, former bandit