Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
Direwolf
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:22 pm
Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
Hello BGSCC folks out there. Was wondering about the ranger in the underdark. Are the caves considered (HIS/HER) outdoors..seeing as they probably never have seen the surface? Is that mechanic in play? Was wondering because it will effect my build route I choose! cheers.
Just curious.
-GRUNK.
Just curious.
-GRUNK.
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
They are all set to indoors I think, so you can't HIPs with a ranger.
-
Direwolf
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:22 pm
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
Luna wrote:They are all set to indoors I think, so you can't HIPs with a ranger.
Ahh that's too bad. The mechanic is there that the ranger would have those cavernous depths as their outdoors. Such is life.
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
ye this has been a heavily debated topic here, but no simple solution has been found.
-
Direwolf
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:22 pm
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
Luna wrote:ye this has been a heavily debated topic here, but no simple solution has been found.
I do not know the programming very well, but could one not just tag each area outside of the main city as (outdoors)
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
That came up, but I can't remember why the staff didn't want to do that or if there was a technical problem with doing that.
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the drow light blindness.
The setting "outdoors" seems like a global setting. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this, more experienced toolset users)
The setting "outdoors" seems like a global setting. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this, more experienced toolset users)
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the drow light blindness.
The setting "outdoors" seems like a global setting. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this, more experienced toolset users)
The setting "outdoors" seems like a global setting. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this, more experienced toolset users)
-
Direwolf
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:22 pm
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
Luna wrote:That came up, but I can't remember why the staff didn't want to do that or if there was a technical problem with doing that.
Yea maybe its the tileset.
-
Eldebryn
- Posts: 253
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:00 pm
- Location: Somewhere in the Realms
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
Well, wouldn't that cause drow and svirfnebli to get a -1 on all attacks on mornings due to light sensitivity racial feature...?Luna wrote:That came up, but I can't remember why the staff didn't want to do that or if there was a technical problem with doing that.
//Local Time = GMT+2
//Founder of The 7th Circle [Private forums]
Eldebryn Rilynghym Let the past crumble to dust. I have the Art... I, Magus...
Mage of Sshamath and teacher of the Art
Gaerdred Dawnfire Paladin of Torm, born and raised in Baldur's Gate
//Founder of The 7th Circle [Private forums]
Eldebryn Rilynghym Let the past crumble to dust. I have the Art... I, Magus...
Mage of Sshamath and teacher of the Art
Gaerdred Dawnfire Paladin of Torm, born and raised in Baldur's Gate
-
Immovablepotts
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:29 am
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
Mhmm thats why its not set up that way sadly. (( would need alot of work arounds for some thing like this ))
Kevril Dar'Shiro
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
Ugh, that one's above my paygrade I'm afraid. I only know when "outside" is marked in an area, it is a global setting.
-
Zhentil_Keep
- Posts: 170
- Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:54 am
- Location: Kingston, Ontario
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
Would a drow ranger not be able to hide in shadows within caves? I know Drizzt was notorious for it but I'd imagine it would be allowed? Though the coding is something different altogether.
As Luna said, it's highly debatable but I know which side I'd consider more likely! Sorry I can't offer any insight, mind you.
As Luna said, it's highly debatable but I know which side I'd consider more likely! Sorry I can't offer any insight, mind you.
Asparin Ravenwood, Human Acquisition Specialist
Xarak Shadowstalker, A recently "enlightened", former assassin of Malar the Beastlord
Gaedynn Coldstone, Frostfolk Icemage
Xarak Shadowstalker, A recently "enlightened", former assassin of Malar the Beastlord
Gaedynn Coldstone, Frostfolk Icemage
-
Rasael
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 8096
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
Yes although you could conceivably set all such areas to night at all times. I think Drow don't get -1 at night correct?
-
Blackman D
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 4818
- Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:43 am
- Location: IL
Re: Underdark ranger, Hide in plain sight (outdoors)
no light blindness is tagged to outside/inside, not day/night like it should be so yes you will trigger it if you set to outside
if there was a way to change light blindness to actually go off the day/night cycle that would be bad ass, then you could set an area in the UD as outside, but have it as always night
if there was a way to change light blindness to actually go off the day/night cycle that would be bad ass, then you could set an area in the UD as outside, but have it as always night
everyone is evil till proven otherwise