Counter-spelling etiquette - Is it a hostile action?

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

ragnarok1983
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 3:24 pm
Location: [troll/bot]

Counter-spelling etiquette - Is it a hostile action?

Unread post by ragnarok1983 »

First time user of counterspelling here.

Using it today, the other fellow considered it a hostile action. I guess it could be taken that way. I thought of it as a sort of "parry for wizards" so perhaps that's why there is some confusion on my part, especially since it's a reactionary action. FYI, nothing occurred between me and the gent due to a reset anyway.

Just looking for any DM guidance on this one so I can act/react accordingly in game in the future.

Thanks guys!
Paws "Paws rode a dragon once! Uhm. Scales are... uncomfortable. Learned value of saddle, yep-yep."
Leo Hammersmitty Techsmith. Whhhhrrrzpt!
Baldric Barrington The Politician (Died of starvation after a long torturous existence following him losing his career)
User avatar
DM Strahd
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:16 pm
Location: Ravenloft, Barovia

Re: Counter-spelling etiquette - Is it a hostile action?

Unread post by DM Strahd »

Counterspelling mode is a completely OOC action, not at all different from toggling Hostile someone. It should never enter the RP, nor it can be considered a PvP consent: your caster simply makes a mental note to watch out for the opponent's eventual spells, and be ready to counter them if need be. Activating Combat Expertise, or Parry Mode are not PvP consent, and Counterspelling mode is not, either.
Somebody told me I should do what they told me...
But there's a hole in that plan, and I'm tearing it down...

DM Fugue
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:39 am
Location: The Fudge Land

Re: Counter-spelling etiquette - Is it a hostile action?

Unread post by DM Fugue »

DM Strahd wrote:Counterspelling mode is a completely OOC action, not at all different from toggling Hostile someone. It should never enter the RP, nor it can be considered a PvP consent: your caster simply makes a mental note to watch out for the opponent's eventual spells, and be ready to counter them if need be. Activating Combat Expertise, or Parry Mode are not PvP consent, and Counterspelling mode is not, either.
Well put, as long as you don't counter spell there's no hostile action but once you counter spell someone, it is hostile action.
And though I played the role,
I lost my soul, it's still within your heart.
It took a part of me, the heart of me..
To watch it fade away, It's over now..
Shades of blue and purple haunt me..

Return to “Questions for DMs”