Item appearance edit in toolset

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

DM Galadriel
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 am

Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by DM Galadriel »

I've recently had requests for custom shield appearances and I swear I had a plugin that allowed full appearance customization but can't find it now. Does anyone have this? Point me in right direction.
Standard toolset shield appearance changing sucks eggs.
In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by Luna »

Try this module. It has all the haks hooked up so everything we support will show up.
It might give you some errors when it loads because you will be missing some tile bitmap files.
Just ignore the errors.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21987858 ... CABLES_rar


If you want to install the tile files, follow this.
FILES YOU NEED
1) Toolset files that go in your game Toolset Directory so you can see the tile icons and what not in the toolkit.

Path example on where to put them, but use your game directory path.
D:\games\Neverwinter Nights 2\NWN2Toolset\Tiles

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21218650/Tiles.rar
User avatar
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor
Posts: 6603
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: VIKING NORWAY!

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

Can someone send me a PM or something with an easy tutorial on how to customize clothing and armour appearance, and how to send it to the dev team so I can eventually use it for my characters? I would for instance love to have that Candlekeep badge on Laitae's robes.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Eclypticon
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by Eclypticon »

Deathgrowl wrote:Can someone send me a PM or something with an easy tutorial on how to customize clothing and armour appearance, and how to send it to the dev team so I can eventually use it for my characters? I would for instance love to have that Candlekeep badge on Laitae's robes.
I'm curious about this too. Back in the day people used 3dfx or something like that, what do folks use now and where do I download it?
Thoril
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by Thoril »

Deathgrowl wrote:Can someone send me a PM or something with an easy tutorial on how to customize clothing and armour appearance, and how to send it to the dev team so I can eventually use it for my characters? I would for instance love to have that Candlekeep badge on Laitae's robes.
I'd guess there's not really an easy specific way for nwn2, either you need to learn texturing and do it that way or a 3d program for the modelling and 2d graphics program for the texture.

Easiest way would probably be to find a 3d asset that fits your purpose and then editing the texture to your liking.
Nathaynedril Sshamath - Drow Warrior
Thorek - Dwarf crossbowman
User avatar
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor
Posts: 6603
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: VIKING NORWAY!

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

You misunderstand. I want to use already existing models. If you look through the different armours in the appearance changer, you can see there are many items that look the same but have small changes like shoulder pads, quiver, sword on the hip... That sort of things.

I figured out how to change the various parts of weapons in the toolset, but I'm not getting any preview on the clothing and armour. Any help here would be appreciated.

And I don't know how to save/export for sending to the Dev team.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
User avatar
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor
Posts: 6603
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: VIKING NORWAY!

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

I mean, I can see the weapons and shields in the preview thing, but not armour and clothing. I have a theory it might be because clothing looks different on different race/gender, but surely there must be a way of previewing it?
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by Luna »

I think in the toolkit you can only look at human female / male.
You would have to try it IG to look at other races.
User avatar
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor
Posts: 6603
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: VIKING NORWAY!

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

Luna wrote:I think in the toolkit you can only look at human female / male.
You would have to try it IG to look at other races.
Well, human works fine if I just find out how.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by Luna »

Ahh gotcha. So there are a bunch of tabs next to the preview window tab.

Scroll all the way to the right (in the tabs).

You will see the armor set tab.

Click that. That is where you view and edit armor, helms, and boots.
User avatar
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor
Posts: 6603
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: VIKING NORWAY!

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

Ahah. Derp. Should've seen that. Thanks.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
DM Galadriel
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 am

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by DM Galadriel »

Once you find the look you like save the blue print, export it to an erf, save the erf to a file sharing site and PM link to a staff member who knows how to import it IG.
As far as I know LUNA is the only one who knows how.
JUST KIDDING!!!
I can as well...if Luna doesn't fire me for that!
(DON'T BOTHER LUNA WITH THIS!!!! :D )

You will be required to trade the SAME item for the new item. Meaning if I import custom Leather armor+3 AC, +5 HP then you must trade me the exact same. No mixing and matching. Not leather armor +3 and another leather armor +5 hp. The exact same.
Leather +6 AC, SR 40, + 4 to all attributes, +10 universal saves or any other crazy #2 will be confiscated (and given to LUNAs character to make up for the server rollback work LUNA did the other day.) ;)

EDIT: PLEASE make sure you will be wearing/using this new item a long time and won't be hitting me up for new imports again soon. This is NOT something me or other DMs are REQUIRED to do. It is a favor.

EDIT 2: PLEASE make sure the item has a custom name(toons name) when you save the blueprint and when you PM me you list the item types in the erf. Helm, Heavy Armor, clothes, guantlets, light shield, ect...
In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!
User avatar
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor
Posts: 6603
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: VIKING NORWAY!

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

DM Galadriel wrote: You will be required to trade the SAME item for the new item. Meaning if I import custom Leather armor+3 AC, +5 HP then you must trade me the exact same. No mixing and matching. Not leather armor +3 and another leather armor +5 hp. The exact same.
Leather +6 AC, SR 40, + 4 to all attributes, +10 universal saves or any other crazy #2 will be confiscated (and given to LUNAs character to make up for the server rollback work LUNA did the other day.) ;)
Ooooh. So you can't actually just import the appearance and change the appearance of my current armour/clothing to that one? I was making a plain robe without any stats because I thought you could do that. I'll have to add the stats then. After I learn how. Blargh.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
DM Galadriel
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 am

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by DM Galadriel »

If you also send me the stats I can change it for you. Again, make sure they're THE SAME as the item you'll ve trading with me.
THIS IS FOR ITEMS WITH CUSTOM APPEARANCED ALLOWED BY BGTSCC HAK PACKS THAT CANNOT BE DONE WITH IN GAME APPEARANCE CHANGER. SOME ITEMS LIKE MITHRAL CAN BE CHANGED BY A DM IN GAME FOR YOU IF YOU KNOW THE APPEARANCE # YOU WANT.
In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!
User avatar
LISA100595
Retired Staff
Posts: 5202
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Item appearance edit in toolset

Unread post by LISA100595 »

What DM Galadriel means is that if you make an appearance change in the toolset, you have to make sure the Base Armor is exactly what you wish to exchange in game. For instance, If you have a FullPlate +3 or whatever else is on it.. then you want to make sure you start out in the toolset with a plain FullPlate .. don't add the stats.. the DM will add them when you exchange the item in game. So you can take the plain FullPlate and change the Look, colors, accessories, add a belt whatever is to your liking, save, then export the .erf and send it to the DM to bring in game. Once in game you hand the DM your current Fullplate and they will transfer the stats to your new appearance changed Fullplate you made in the toolset.. and there ya go.

There is a tutorial somewhere on How to do this in the toolset step by step... i'll look for it. :)
Lady Elvina Aira-S'efarro - The Order of the Silver Rose
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”