Let me start off my saying that the developing team has done a great job with the areas of this server it is much appreciated. Over my time playing on this server there have been a few things here and there where you just think hmm that is odd. But one thing in particualar today lead me to make this post and I am going to put all of these things into it.
Let me start off with the situation that happened today, the main character I play is a deep gnome. I am a somewhat new player with limited experience on the surface since my main is a UD character. I have noticed that playing in the UD puts you at an extreme disadvantage when it comes to RP experiences. There is literally maybe 3 players who play in the UD consistantly (excuding DM events that might happen down there). So I came upon an opportunity where a couple of players I ran into where heading to the surface. I took this opportunity for some RP fun and a chance to get some RP in on the surface with my UD character.
I prceeded to wear full robes with a concealing hood to mask my origin on the surface and had a great time RPing with the huge amount of players that are always on the surface. Well it got to a point where I was running around killing some creatures while I was looking for people to come by to RP with when I was greeted by a DM. He informed me that unless I had a really juicy RP reason to be on the surface he was going to port me back down to the UD. He said some person who "saw" me ( I did not talk to anyone or see anyone run past me) informed him that I was on the surface. I told him I was not RPing with anyone at that particular time but have been Rping with multiple people previous to that. Since I apparently I was not RPing at that time he sent me off back to the UD. The part that bugs me about this situation is that I came to the surface, was RPing, but OOCly got meta gamed and then sent back to the UD. Why make a way to get to the surface if it is against the rules 99% of the time to be up there? Not to mention this apparent rule against it is not even in the offical rules but some post someone posted.
This brings me to some of my other "gripes". Why is the UD so shunned by the development team? There are probably 5x more places on the surface and there is only 1 town in the UD? This is causing nobody to want to play in the UD at all which is causing a terrible time for the 3 of us that consistantly play down there. I really wish there was some sort of warning posted before I put the time into my UD character that said "Beware, in making an UD character you will basicly never see anyone ever and have rare if any RP experiences with anyone, oh and you can't go to the surface so don't even try!" I have also heard that the development team is working on a great new northern area on the surface, I think this is awesome for 90% of the playerbase because that is where they play but it is just limiting the population of the UD even more. I would love to do something other than grind my char but I rarely see anyone, and to make things worse there is basicly 2 areas that are decent to get exp for my level (level 12). If I was on the surface I could pick from probably 5 different places if I ever got bored of the one I was in and if for some crazy reason didn't see anyone to RP with.
Sorry for the long post but tell me you guys see these same points? The real thing I am asking of this post is to please let UD characters travel and RP on the surface if they would like to. If we are concealing our identities and there are races on the surface very similar to ours is there really any harm in that? Maybe make it so on a death we can only spawn in the UD like it currently is and have to travel back up to the surface, but it would be nice to be able to make one of the surface areas a home location that we can spawn back to it from the Nexus if we would like to RP on the surface for a prolonged amount of time.
Well let me know your thoughts on this and again keep up the good work.
A little sour taste in mouth
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: A little sour taste in mouth
I can answer for the development portion.
People tend to want to build where they play, and since there are a lot more surface than UD players, we end up with more people wanting to build for the surface.
Builders are volunteers, so it's not so easy to try and force them to build area's they don't want to.
People tend to want to build where they play, and since there are a lot more surface than UD players, we end up with more people wanting to build for the surface.
Builders are volunteers, so it's not so easy to try and force them to build area's they don't want to.