Is there a 101 class file or advice for Frame rates? I'm guessing this is how to tell the potential for lag, and sever drain?
What are normal numbers for outside, and also inside areas, of a medium to large size?
What's a warning level for each? As in X number - Y number is high, but some exceptions might be passible on a server like BG.
What is the amount that would be the maximum? As in this would never be allowed on a server like BG.
I understand cutting, environmental, typical areas memory size, etc... I'm mostly lacking in my understanding of frame rates.
Predicting lag level (Frame rate?)
Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM
-
Stonebar
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 938
- Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:10 am
Predicting lag level (Frame rate?)
Forum name honors the Stonebar alliance. I'm not Stonebar
-
mrieder79
- Posts: 875
- Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am
Re: Predicting lag level (Frame rate?)
If you put trees in an area, make sure you do not use more than 4 unique seeds on them. This will help reduce lag. Also, try not to put too many in the area. That can slow it down. I seem to recall one of my 32x32 areas getting laggy at around 1000 trees.
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: Predicting lag level (Frame rate?)
Big tree's can cause a problem.
Maybe to many light sources and VFX as well.
Tfunke was the guru at this.
You may want to ping him.
He pops in from time to time.
Maybe to many light sources and VFX as well.
Tfunke was the guru at this.
You may want to ping him.
He pops in from time to time.
-
Knightmare
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 1696
- Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am
- Location: One step ahead!
Re: Predicting lag level (Frame rate?)
A few important rules of thumb when wanting to keep the framerate down.
Make sure that all light sources are set to "cast shadows - off".
It's best not to use more than 5 different seeds per area i.e. 5 types of trees, bushes, shrubberies etc.
The "live oak" tree models should not exceed 3 in any one area.
Lightsources and vfx all add to framerate. It's better to use day/night directional lightning and keep the manually placed lightsources down.
Grass and water lags so use it sensibly.
********************
As for maximum framerate, 2500 is generally accepted as the threshold. Once it goes over it starts to run less smoothly in game (i.e. first level of the Cloakwood mines, for instance).
2800 won't break an area though. Players will just have to adjust their cameras to a more top-down angle to avoid lag.
Framerate shouldn't exceed 3000. Aim for something between 2500-2700 as the max.
If you have way less, you have more leeway with vfxs and light sources.
Make sure that all light sources are set to "cast shadows - off".
It's best not to use more than 5 different seeds per area i.e. 5 types of trees, bushes, shrubberies etc.
The "live oak" tree models should not exceed 3 in any one area.
Lightsources and vfx all add to framerate. It's better to use day/night directional lightning and keep the manually placed lightsources down.
Grass and water lags so use it sensibly.
********************
As for maximum framerate, 2500 is generally accepted as the threshold. Once it goes over it starts to run less smoothly in game (i.e. first level of the Cloakwood mines, for instance).
2800 won't break an area though. Players will just have to adjust their cameras to a more top-down angle to avoid lag.
Framerate shouldn't exceed 3000. Aim for something between 2500-2700 as the max.
If you have way less, you have more leeway with vfxs and light sources.
When you light a candle, you cast a shadow too ~ Artemis
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Predicting lag level (Frame rate?)
Yep. Or Pm him. I'm sure he'll be happy to help.Tfunke was the guru at this.
You may want to ping him.
He pops in from time to time.
-
Stonebar
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 938
- Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:10 am
Re: Predicting lag level (Frame rate?)
Thanks every one. Some other questions.
What's up with the Live Oak that makes issues?
Great to learn about the 4 or 5 types per area part!
I knew water was bad at adding to the areas memory size, and lag, but are there tips to water settings that lower it's effect on the frame rate? Darker indoor areas should allow for simpler water ripple/refraction ratio etc. more then outside with out losing appearance quality.
I already turned my lights shadows off, as well as any other thing that has a "shadows" box. I'm expecting that shadows on for an outside area has a notable impact on Frame rates, but is the cost/benefit worth having it on?
I thought that servers like BG are not fans of directional lightning being on for most inside areas?
I'll try to catch Tfunke as well. Thanks again all.
What's up with the Live Oak that makes issues?
Great to learn about the 4 or 5 types per area part!
I knew water was bad at adding to the areas memory size, and lag, but are there tips to water settings that lower it's effect on the frame rate? Darker indoor areas should allow for simpler water ripple/refraction ratio etc. more then outside with out losing appearance quality.
I already turned my lights shadows off, as well as any other thing that has a "shadows" box. I'm expecting that shadows on for an outside area has a notable impact on Frame rates, but is the cost/benefit worth having it on?
I thought that servers like BG are not fans of directional lightning being on for most inside areas?
I'll try to catch Tfunke as well. Thanks again all.
Forum name honors the Stonebar alliance. I'm not Stonebar