Disappearing corpses.
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
Ender
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:08 pm
Disappearing corpses.
So I am not sure what the offical ruling is on because I have been gone for quite some time but from experiences in the past I know DMS have helped with phantom corpses or at the VERY least if they were unable to do so they would at least take 3 seconds to tell ya hey we can't do anything.
A friend of mine died right in front of me 10 mins or so befor reset. I explained to the DM in channel what had happened and no reponse, a few mins later a DM announces a reset so again I go to the channel because I know for a fact a DM is on and repeat what happened in the channel that a friend died in front of me and there is no corpse and no response. About one min later the DM says to rest and save your location still completely ignores me.
Now I don't imagine this is the typical reponse and being a UD player is rough enough without having to eat a 1600 exp lost because of a bogus but when I was standing there with a scroll in my inventory but no corpse to use it on so my friend had to eat the loss and that may be the standard reponse now and if so that's fine. My issue is if the DM couldn't help why not simply let the person know? Also if a DM couldn't have helped, does anyone know what causes corpses to disaper and is a fix in the works?
A friend of mine died right in front of me 10 mins or so befor reset. I explained to the DM in channel what had happened and no reponse, a few mins later a DM announces a reset so again I go to the channel because I know for a fact a DM is on and repeat what happened in the channel that a friend died in front of me and there is no corpse and no response. About one min later the DM says to rest and save your location still completely ignores me.
Now I don't imagine this is the typical reponse and being a UD player is rough enough without having to eat a 1600 exp lost because of a bogus but when I was standing there with a scroll in my inventory but no corpse to use it on so my friend had to eat the loss and that may be the standard reponse now and if so that's fine. My issue is if the DM couldn't help why not simply let the person know? Also if a DM couldn't have helped, does anyone know what causes corpses to disaper and is a fix in the works?
-
Simian
- Posts: 1439
- Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:42 am
- Location: On a Journey to the West
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
When a DM resets the server, following things tend to happen:
1) The server might have been very laggy so a lot of people generally just spam the DM with lots 'YAYS and HUGS.'
2) A lot of players suddenly become very curious if there is going to be a big event. Big events cause lag, hence the need for a freshly booted server.
3) If there is a reset for an event, some people are already online and discussing about the event with the DM.
4) Then you have multitude of players trying to petition the DM delay the server reset for various reasons.
5) And of course, since the DM made his or her presence public with the shout, people might be trying to contact him or her for various tech support and councelling services they generally provide.
Hence, they are recieving a lot of text from the players. Which means it is very easy to miss something.
And as for UD, once you get to around level 15 or so, I hear things start to get ridicculously easy in the underdark. (Easier than on the surface.) So, while the experience loss might suck, it is not the end of the world. There have been others who have lost experience for 'no reason,' and unfortunately there will be more in the future. All you can hope that it is not you the next time it happens.
1) The server might have been very laggy so a lot of people generally just spam the DM with lots 'YAYS and HUGS.'
2) A lot of players suddenly become very curious if there is going to be a big event. Big events cause lag, hence the need for a freshly booted server.
3) If there is a reset for an event, some people are already online and discussing about the event with the DM.
4) Then you have multitude of players trying to petition the DM delay the server reset for various reasons.
5) And of course, since the DM made his or her presence public with the shout, people might be trying to contact him or her for various tech support and councelling services they generally provide.
Hence, they are recieving a lot of text from the players. Which means it is very easy to miss something.
And as for UD, once you get to around level 15 or so, I hear things start to get ridicculously easy in the underdark. (Easier than on the surface.) So, while the experience loss might suck, it is not the end of the world. There have been others who have lost experience for 'no reason,' and unfortunately there will be more in the future. All you can hope that it is not you the next time it happens.
"Qítiān Dàshèng (齊天大聖)"
"I warrant your attention?! Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
"I warrant your attention?! Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
-
Ender
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:08 pm
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
I find it hard to believe a DM missed 5 possible more attempts to reach them in a 10 min window but it may be possible I suppose.
Whoever told you that UD becomes easier after 15 then the surface is off their rocker, part of the reason I stopped playing on the surface because of how easy it is to level. That and the lack luster campfire RP that was rampant at the time, I imagine that hasn't changed much and if people enjoy it great but part of the reason I am down below now.
Is anyone working on fixing the bug or should we all just expect that to happen from time to time? I would gladly trade 1600 of my exp to my friend, I have been in the UD for awhile I understand these things happen but that type of thing can be quite discouraging to new players in the UD and the last thing we need is less people playing UD
Whoever told you that UD becomes easier after 15 then the surface is off their rocker, part of the reason I stopped playing on the surface because of how easy it is to level. That and the lack luster campfire RP that was rampant at the time, I imagine that hasn't changed much and if people enjoy it great but part of the reason I am down below now.
Is anyone working on fixing the bug or should we all just expect that to happen from time to time? I would gladly trade 1600 of my exp to my friend, I have been in the UD for awhile I understand these things happen but that type of thing can be quite discouraging to new players in the UD and the last thing we need is less people playing UD
-
Rainbow Prism
- Posts: 400
- Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:57 am
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
We, players of Underdark, did not chose it because it's easier.
Also, asking DM about disappearing corpse in this situation is akin to asking for OOC resurrection.
Also, asking DM about disappearing corpse in this situation is akin to asking for OOC resurrection.
When someone calls you elitist, he automatically admits that your RP is superior to his.
-
Ender
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:08 pm
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
Wasn't asking for a DM to do anything now I was asking if there was a set standard for handling these cases and why I was ignored and if anything was going to be done about it. I could have easily resurrected my friend with any of the raise dead scrolls I had in inventory the problem was his corpse disapered, it became an ooc event when a bug interrupted our RP/adventure
-
Ender
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:08 pm
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
Not anything done about me being it ignored or the friend who lost experience, I am referring to anything being done about the bug in general.
-
Passiflora
- Posts: 2230
- Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
- Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
Death XP isn't reimbursed by DMs, even if you died due to a bug. Server resets neither.
Only cases where it can be reimbursed is in a DM event, and it's not always the case.
Only cases where it can be reimbursed is in a DM event, and it's not always the case.
Go home and be a familly cat!
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
He might have been busy, AFK, or getting so many messages your rolled right off the screen.
It's not always possible to reply to people.
It's not always possible to reply to people.
-
Passiflora
- Posts: 2230
- Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
- Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
Corpses who disappears bug:
Most often, this is the reason why someone who dies will not leave a corpse: They were already dead.
Hehe, I'll explain.
There's some instance where you will die, but won't be sent to the fugue plane. The most known bug is the 'corpse carrying' one.
-You carry a corpse and creatures attack you. Your HP drops to zero, but.. somehow, you survive.
-You actually died, flagging your character as 'dead', but you didn't zone to the fugue plane.
-If you die before the server reset, you won't leave a corpse.
-If you don't die, Mystra will send you to the fugue plane after you die.
When I was in the DM team, there was a 'fix' in the works for this. It was actually a big change-up of the death system. I am not aware if it has been put aside, or if they encountered some troubles with scripts in it, or if it never went further than thoughts.
Hopefully it'll get changed, though.
Most often, this is the reason why someone who dies will not leave a corpse: They were already dead.
Hehe, I'll explain.
There's some instance where you will die, but won't be sent to the fugue plane. The most known bug is the 'corpse carrying' one.
-You carry a corpse and creatures attack you. Your HP drops to zero, but.. somehow, you survive.
-You actually died, flagging your character as 'dead', but you didn't zone to the fugue plane.
-If you die before the server reset, you won't leave a corpse.
-If you don't die, Mystra will send you to the fugue plane after you die.
When I was in the DM team, there was a 'fix' in the works for this. It was actually a big change-up of the death system. I am not aware if it has been put aside, or if they encountered some troubles with scripts in it, or if it never went further than thoughts.
Hopefully it'll get changed, though.
Go home and be a familly cat!
-
Aelcar
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:41 am
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
What Montaron replied to you is spot on, even if you find it hard to believe. The DM client is very demanding skillwise, and there are just a few less switches and options with respect to a freaking airplane. Your chat long tends to be full at all times, and whatever you are doing, you memorize the tells of people, and keep memorizing as you do what you do and reply to them. After a long working day, or whatever other tiring activity, doing this is pretty intense, and you can start missing something. Also, you can be in frequent need of breaks, so the DM could be having one ("hey, we're close to reset, let's have a break..." or "hey, I just announce a reset in 10 and go fetch a drink, just to give everyone the time to prepare...").Ender wrote:So I am not sure what the offical ruling is on because I have been gone for quite some time but from experiences in the past I know DMS have helped with phantom corpses or at the VERY least if they were unable to do so they would at least take 3 seconds to tell ya hey we can't do anything.
A friend of mine died right in front of me 10 mins or so befor reset. I explained to the DM in channel what had happened and no reponse, a few mins later a DM announces a reset so again I go to the channel because I know for a fact a DM is on and repeat what happened in the channel that a friend died in front of me and there is no corpse and no response. About one min later the DM says to rest and save your location still completely ignores me.
Now I don't imagine this is the typical reponse and being a UD player is rough enough without having to eat a 1600 exp lost because of a bogus but when I was standing there with a scroll in my inventory but no corpse to use it on so my friend had to eat the loss and that may be the standard reponse now and if so that's fine. My issue is if the DM couldn't help why not simply let the person know? Also if a DM couldn't have helped, does anyone know what causes corpses to disaper and is a fix in the works?
Said this, your friend died. When you die, expect to stay dead, and whenever that is not the case, rejoice. If you dont want to get the XP hit in any case, play more carefully. Personally, even at lvl 30 I kept playing as if death were final every single time. You're not required to do so, but surely you cant complain if you die carelessly. Good luck in the UD (which, by the way, isnt easier than the surface. Nothing is easier than Giant Farm, which brings you to epics from lvl 11/12 in 2 weeks...).
Aelcar Lightbringer, Knight of the Merciful Sword: Disappeared after the victorious defense of the Gate against The Blight.
Olath M'elzar Valshar The Black, The Phantom Wizard: Retired Steward of the School of Necromancy and former Eye of the 7th Circle.
Olath M'elzar Valshar The Black, The Phantom Wizard: Retired Steward of the School of Necromancy and former Eye of the 7th Circle.
-
decado
- Posts: 69
- Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:58 pm
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
Are those server reset messages not all automated? It seems to me you were trying to message the server script and in fact there was no DM on...
-
Aelcar
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:41 am
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
Ah! I thought he was talking about a DM announcing an unscheduled reset to eliminate lag issues/have more room for an eventdecado wrote:Are those server reset messages not all automated? It seems to me you were trying to message the server script and in fact there was no DM on...
Aelcar Lightbringer, Knight of the Merciful Sword: Disappeared after the victorious defense of the Gate against The Blight.
Olath M'elzar Valshar The Black, The Phantom Wizard: Retired Steward of the School of Necromancy and former Eye of the 7th Circle.
Olath M'elzar Valshar The Black, The Phantom Wizard: Retired Steward of the School of Necromancy and former Eye of the 7th Circle.
-
decado
- Posts: 69
- Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:58 pm
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
It could be, however it sounds like the reset script message process to me from the limited info he describes.
-
DM Setanta
- Posts: 778
- Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:53 pm
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
ThisMontaron Alagondar wrote:When a DM resets the server, following things tend to happen:
1) The server might have been very laggy so a lot of people generally just spam the DM with lots 'YAYS and HUGS.'
2) A lot of players suddenly become very curious if there is going to be a big event. Big events cause lag, hence the need for a freshly booted server.
3) If there is a reset for an event, some people are already online and discussing about the event with the DM.
4) Then you have multitude of players trying to petition the DM delay the server reset for various reasons.
5) And of course, since the DM made his or her presence public with the shout, people might be trying to contact him or her for various tech support and councelling services they generally provide.
Hence, they are recieving a lot of text from the players. Which means it is very easy to miss something.
And as for UD, once you get to around level 15 or so, I hear things start to get ridicculously easy in the underdark. (Easier than on the surface.) So, while the experience loss might suck, it is not the end of the world. There have been others who have lost experience for 'no reason,' and unfortunately there will be more in the future. All you can hope that it is not you the next time it happens.
“Knowledge is knowing the tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting in your fruit salad.”
-
Simian
- Posts: 1439
- Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:42 am
- Location: On a Journey to the West
Re: Disappearing corpses and reponse from staff please
Oh, and I forgot one thing.
6) Party chat. People are in parties and they use party chat as that way they can talk over much longer distances. Party chat also shows up on the DM chat list, and when a server resets there is also quite a bit players talking if they are going to continue after the reset or not.
6) Party chat. People are in parties and they use party chat as that way they can talk over much longer distances. Party chat also shows up on the DM chat list, and when a server resets there is also quite a bit players talking if they are going to continue after the reset or not.
Nope, you chose it because you wanted to play a drow, or a deep gnome. Either for the role-playing or racial benefits. The start in the Underdark is monotonous, but once you start to get your key abilities, more or less decent equipment, and begin to know your surroundings, UD is no longer hard. In fact, I believe my Spirit Shaman could roflestomp the entirity of it.Rainbow Prism wrote:We, players of Underdark, did not chose it because it's easier.
"Qítiān Dàshèng (齊天大聖)"
"I warrant your attention?! Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
"I warrant your attention?! Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"