Im sorry for this, but I am new around here and I just have a question that I know I will regret if I dont ask
As stated before I am new around here and considering joining up, and I was wondering what the power curve on the server is like.
I am primarily a RPer at heart, but there are times when I am tired/had a rough day/whatever where I just like to relax and pound some monsters for profit. Is there room to do this properly in a somewhat more casual roleplay build? Or am I going to want to have a good, combat orientated core to do this?
(I understand that anything is possible in a party, and I am accounting for that but lets be honest there are times where even the most social butterfly wants to solo)
I know this question is in very poor taste, but it may change the nature of how I would like to start my journey here.
Thank you for your time in reading this
The worst kind of question...
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
Passiflora
- Posts: 2230
- Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
- Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.
Re: The worst kind of question...
Absolutly. Don't worry about it.Is there room to do this properly in a somewhat more casual roleplay build?
You can 'hunt' with a RP build. You won't have much problems unless you go to hard places. I suggest you go with people first in new dungeons, until you get a 'feel' about where you can go alone when you had a hard day at work and just want to relax.Or am I going to want to have a good, combat orientated core to do this?
Go home and be a familly cat!
-
DM Mouse
- Posts: 1073
- Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:28 pm
Re: The worst kind of question...
The most simple reply I can give is pounding monsters can always be fun and rewarding on this server. It's possible, although comparatively slow compared to a very well planned and prepared grind, to level up without even fighting. So you can be as weak or strange as you like and still gain experience points through doing deliveries for NPCs and completing other activities such as fishing, or you can be as masterful at combat as you like and still do the aforementioned easy-going activities. It's up to you.
DM Mouse
Please be sure you are up to date with Server Rules & Information (updated Aug. 25th, 2014), these also apply to the forums!
Of particular interest are the Forum Rules which everyone posting here must know.
Please be sure you are up to date with Server Rules & Information (updated Aug. 25th, 2014), these also apply to the forums!
Of particular interest are the Forum Rules which everyone posting here must know.
-
Nomster
- Posts: 1941
- Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:41 pm
Re: The worst kind of question...
First off, I think it is good that you ask. Finding RPers at those first few levels can -if you are unlucky- be a bit difficult. I suggest to utilize the scry tool - write a simple message such as "Looking for RP" and someone should nudge you 
I am of the opinion that even a powerbuild can be roleplayed. Not everyone agrees but hey! I know for sure that you do not need to have an optimized build to play on this server. The tricky part is if you prefer to solo or tend to play on the server's slow hours... a middleground character, so to speak, may be what is preferable for you then. Post the character concept at the building forum and see what interesting ideas people come up with.
As you are new to the server... many areas will feel difficult (especially if you go for a flavour build
) but do not fret, there is always alternative areas for each level. Most of the time when people have problems with leveling it is because they are either in the wrong area or are trying to kill things above their CR.
Otherwise, as DM Mouse mentioned, quests and fishing gets you some safe XP.
I am of the opinion that even a powerbuild can be roleplayed. Not everyone agrees but hey! I know for sure that you do not need to have an optimized build to play on this server. The tricky part is if you prefer to solo or tend to play on the server's slow hours... a middleground character, so to speak, may be what is preferable for you then. Post the character concept at the building forum and see what interesting ideas people come up with.
As you are new to the server... many areas will feel difficult (especially if you go for a flavour build
Otherwise, as DM Mouse mentioned, quests and fishing gets you some safe XP.
"I don't want to pretend at magic anymore. I want to be magic."
Telia Santraeger - Emotional sorceress & priestess of Mystra. [Retired]
Telia Santraeger - Emotional sorceress & priestess of Mystra. [Retired]
-
Deathgrowl
- Recognized Donor
- Posts: 6603
- Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm
- Location: VIKING NORWAY!
Re: The worst kind of question...
Do you need a power build to solo things? Absolutely not. Let me give you an example.
I present to you one of the many incarnations of Hoihe:
http://nwn2db.com/build/?160484
That build can solo stuff.
I present to you one of the many incarnations of Hoihe:
http://nwn2db.com/build/?160484
That build can solo stuff.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Nëa the Little Shadow
Uranhed Jandinwed, Guide of Candlekeep
Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
-
Deathevn
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:22 am
Re: The worst kind of question...
Thanks for the heads up everyone, I appreciate the time for the responses. I wish I would have been more awake when I sent that but it got the point across.
Thanks for the info though, I think my questions where answered as well as they could be.
I will start drafting some ideas for what I want. I have the character I want in my head, now its just a matter of stats and classes. Some of the new stuff you have added seems pretty interesting .
Just a matter of making the pieces fit..
Hope to see you in game soon!
(and I may take you up on that build discussion once I lay down some ground work)
Thanks for the info though, I think my questions where answered as well as they could be.
I will start drafting some ideas for what I want. I have the character I want in my head, now its just a matter of stats and classes. Some of the new stuff you have added seems pretty interesting .
Just a matter of making the pieces fit..
Hope to see you in game soon!
(and I may take you up on that build discussion once I lay down some ground work)