RPing a gnomish tinkerer, inventor, and artificer

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Boddynock
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:30 am

RPing a gnomish tinkerer, inventor, and artificer

Unread post by Boddynock »

Both this incarnation of Boddynock and his old one have a very heavy investment in craft skills for RP reasons. However, with no real crafting system, I am unwilling to waste feats on crafting feats.

Is there a precedence for having a PC artificer on the server, and if so what does that involve? This stems from the absence of gnomish sized weapons with wizard specific enchantments, so Boddy would likely spend a good deal of his time in Candlekeep library (new acolyte) researching how to rectify this situation (in addition to creating new spells).

It seems unreasonable for a single character to monopolize a DMs time for something that few players will benefit from, but perhaps there is a way?

I was thinking I could specify the enchantments and weapon I wanted to put them on, and then could be assigned tasks to be done without DM supervision, but with a definate concrete goal I could obtain and turn in to show I had completed the quest. Like, XXXX enchantment required you to go hear and get xxxx item or whatever. That way it still required in game effort on my part, but without monopolizing a DMs time for a personal goal.

Perhaps there is already a precedent, and therefore already a method I am unaware of to accomplish this, but please let me know what the thoughts are on this matter. (Even if yhose thoughts are "No way bro!" :lol: )
Liam the Golden
Illdraen, Guerilla Skirmisher of Sshamath
Guy "Knife-Ears" Masterson
Boddynock Namfoodle, Illusionist Extraordinaire! (temporary leave of absence, again)

"Liam the Golden, so I have heard,
Yet truly none can polish a...
" - Ameris Santraeger, 2016

Return to “Questions for DMs”