Teleportation and the Law

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

User avatar
NeonAvenger
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:37 am

Teleportation and the Law

Unread post by NeonAvenger »

One of my characters is having a great deal of fun playing with teleportation (and becoming bankrupt in the process, but that's a different story).

I generally try to mark runes outside city / town gates, that way I'm not breaking any laws or running the risk of teleporting with someone who is banned from the town in question, but there are few places I just can't find anywhere suitable so I'm wondering what are the laws of the following places as it concerns teleportation?

Specifically:
  • Roaringshore (Slightly pointless to teleport here and I doubt they have laws against it, I just suspect I may get turned into a pin cushion before I finish appearing)
  • Nashkel (very fuzzy where "outside of town" is).
  • Corm Orp (Nowhere safe outside town)
  • And Beregost (I found a good place but I'm wondering if, in theory, licensed casters are permitted to teleport actually into town).
Maddy Thunderkeg - Capitalism Ho!
William of Ayleford - Every paladin is just a fighter that sat on a stick
User avatar
DM Golem
Posts: 8842
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Re: Teleportation and the Law

Unread post by DM Golem »

Roaringshore:

Has no laws; but the guards are likely to be jumpy. You can teleport there.

Gold standard RP: Try and teleport to a spot some distance from guards or on the settlement outskirts (near the caravan; on the docks). Technically the docks would be full of pirate ships so you should probably emote some sort of tries not to look hostile emote.

Beregost, Nashkel

http://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?p=559345#p559345

If you don't have a magic license (for sale in Beregost), it doesn't matter where you teleport, you are breaking the law.

If you do, you are probably right to teleport on the edge of the settlements to be on the safe side as Amnians don't like magic (and the government in Beregost is Amnian). If you do teleport into town you should probably emote showing your license.

Same applies to Nashkel. You can probably assume that spots by any of the three transitions can be counted as teleporting at the edge of the settlement.

Corm Orp

Uh...no laws posted yet!

My expectation is that teleporting just outside the gate would be acceptable but again, if you teleport inside emotes of non hostility would be appropriate.
User avatar
NCrawler
Recognized Donor
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:05 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: Teleportation and the Law

Unread post by NCrawler »

Don't forget Kraak Helzak, or at least the transition in Troll Claws West. Taran would pay for that teleport.
Taran Seven - Divine Champion of Garagos
Lauren Seven - Swordmaiden looking for a new home (guild)

Return to “Questions for DMs”