tl;dr - Are there any decent tutorials on how to make custom spells? Every time I see something promising it turns out to be: "For a more detailed look on this topic check out 404 RESOURCE NOT FOUND".
The long version:
I've been considering a suggestion for a store but I thought "Heck, the stuff I'm looking at is just slightly edited versions of existing things. It can't be hard to just script-kiddie them together" so I started poking around the toolset.
I worked out how to build a little room with a trapped shopkeeper and set up a dialogue for them.
Edited the spells.2da to add the new spell
The i_prp_spells.2da to allow the new spell to be added as an item property
Worked out how to add a line to a copy of the dialog.tlk to give it a useful name when looking for the effect.
But after that I'm lost... as far as I can tell most of the features I want to alter (area of effect, damage) seem to be buried in an object generated by the "EffectAreaOfEffect" function and it seems to be called with only a single int as an argument and I can't find a 2da that references to these ints, nor can I find a script that defines how the AoE object is created from them, so I'm stuck in a dead end at the moment.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Custom Spells Tutorial?
Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM
-
NeonAvenger
- Posts: 432
- Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:37 am
Custom Spells Tutorial?
Maddy Thunderkeg - Capitalism Ho!
William of Ayleford - Every paladin is just a fighter that sat on a stick
William of Ayleford - Every paladin is just a fighter that sat on a stick
-
Valefort
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 9779
- Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:07 pm
- Location: France, GMT +2
Re: Custom Spells Tutorial?
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
-
Valefort
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 9779
- Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:07 pm
- Location: France, GMT +2
Re: Custom Spells Tutorial?
To be clearer now that I have more time forget the fireball script that I opened, what matters is on the right ! You can find the usual effects used by AoE in the toolset in the script help window, look for AOE_PER_* (persistent) AOE_MOB_* (mobile) and various VFX_* like VFX_DUR_* (applied for a certain DURation).
There are ways to do custom visual effects if you're not satisfied with what you'll find there but I have yet to try that so I can't help you.
There are ways to do custom visual effects if you're not satisfied with what you'll find there but I have yet to try that so I can't help you.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
-
NeonAvenger
- Posts: 432
- Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:37 am
Re: Custom Spells Tutorial?
Aha, cheers. You've put me on the right track. Turns out the magic word was "Persistent".
Most of the AoE information is stored in VFX_Persistent.2da, not something like AreaOfEffect.2da where I was looking.
Most of the AoE information is stored in VFX_Persistent.2da, not something like AreaOfEffect.2da where I was looking.
Maddy Thunderkeg - Capitalism Ho!
William of Ayleford - Every paladin is just a fighter that sat on a stick
William of Ayleford - Every paladin is just a fighter that sat on a stick
