Help with a new character concept

Moderators: Moderator, DM

User avatar
Hrafnar
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:24 pm
Location: NYC

Help with a new character concept

Unread post by Hrafnar »

Hi. I'm thinking of creating a wilderness stalker based character. The idea is to create a non-ranger, special forces elite-type. Seeing that I already have a ranger (who is trying to be very rangery) I was wondering if anyone could help me with some background things like deity, alignment and nationality?

Seeing as I won't be casting divine spells this offers me some freedom when picking a patron god, however most of the gods that a tracker/scout would probably pray to are in fact ranger deities. I was thinking perhaps some niche gods like Gwaeron Windstrom (playing human btw) or Shaundakul (he's still alive right? That is him in the Nexus after all...).

I would also like to place emphasis on a military background however, therefore Tempus or Red Knight could work. I would like to start out as a freelance mercenary and then perhaps join one of the server's military groups (mercenary or otherwise), if possible. In that case: which deities would facilitate that? Personality-wise I'm envisioning a rugged, no-BS, death-before-dishonor type, so I'm thinking LN alignment perhaps. The important difference here is that the character does what she does so that civilisation can prosper and is actually likely to come into conflict with some rangers and druids.

Finally: Are there any human nations in Faerun that are particularly famous for their special forces (or medieval equivalent)?

Cheers :)
Erlendir Ravensong: Ranger, protector and guide - bio
Tasia Sphaerideion: Bounty hunter, scout and sailor - bio
Kiartan Exiled: Mercenary, exile and son of a traitor - bio
chad878262
Posts: 9332
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:55 pm

Re: Help with a new character concept

Unread post by chad878262 »

You could research the Grey Hands of Waterdeep, or the Purple Dragons of Cormyr (though the purple dragons don't have much of a scouting type of division that would make sense.

Deity is a very personal choice so I recommend you think about what your character would be drawn to. Red Knight seems plausible with the military background and focus on intelligence gathering. Siamorphe might also make sense if your LN commando is all about the rightful rule of Nobility and the nobility wants to expand their holdings then nature be damned! However, as I said I really think it is something you should think about and not be influenced with regards to. I gave you a couple thoughts to use examples of what might draw your PC to a certain deity, but you should think about the motivations that really drive him/her and go from there.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
User avatar
Valefort
Retired Admin
Posts: 9779
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:07 pm
Location: France, GMT +2

Re: Help with a new character concept

Unread post by Valefort »

Why not simply the ... Flaming Fist ? It's the most powerful mercenary organization in Faerun. Now you have to take into account the server lore too but it doesn't contradict that in the past, even though it's quite weaker now.

See : viewtopic.php?p=81659#p81659
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
User avatar
Hrafnar
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:24 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Help with a new character concept

Unread post by Hrafnar »

Valefort wrote:Why not simply the ... Flaming Fist ? It's the most powerful mercenary organization in Faerun. Now you have to take into account the server lore too but it doesn't contradict that in the past, even though it's quite weaker now.

See : viewtopic.php?p=81659#p81659
Interesting, I kind of thought they would be out-of-bounds.
chad878262 wrote:You could research the Grey Hands of Waterdeep, or the Purple Dragons of Cormyr (though the purple dragons don't have much of a scouting type of division that would make sense.

Deity is a very personal choice so I recommend you think about what your character would be drawn to. Red Knight seems plausible with the military background and focus on intelligence gathering. Siamorphe might also make sense if your LN commando is all about the rightful rule of Nobility and the nobility wants to expand their holdings then nature be damned! However, as I said I really think it is something you should think about and not be influenced with regards to. I gave you a couple thoughts to use examples of what might draw your PC to a certain deity, but you should think about the motivations that really drive him/her and go from there.
I'll read up on the Grey Hands, cheers!
Erlendir Ravensong: Ranger, protector and guide - bio
Tasia Sphaerideion: Bounty hunter, scout and sailor - bio
Kiartan Exiled: Mercenary, exile and son of a traitor - bio
User avatar
Valefort
Retired Admin
Posts: 9779
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:07 pm
Location: France, GMT +2

Re: Help with a new character concept

Unread post by Valefort »

Pretty sure you can be a random ex flaming fist member without any issue but ping the DMs to be sure if you err on the side of caution :P
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
User avatar
Phantasm
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:59 pm
Location: Washington

Re: Help with a new character concept

Unread post by Phantasm »

If you intend on playing a lawful neutral scout mercenary sort, there's always the option of being a devout Hoarite. Track and hunt down those horrid miscreants and ensure retribution and poetic justice is met. That's just my little suggestion since I have a bit of a soft spot for Hoar. ;)
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." ~ G. K. Chesterton


Alastar Pryce
User avatar
Hrafnar
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:24 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Help with a new character concept

Unread post by Hrafnar »

Phantasm wrote:If you intend on playing a lawful neutral scout mercenary sort, there's always the option of being a devout Hoarite. Track and hunt down those horrid miscreants and ensure retribution and poetic justice is met. That's just my little suggestion since I have a bit of a soft spot for Hoar. ;)
I thought about this! I kind of wanted to be from the Coast so I was thinking a darker incarnation of a Tyrran, but Hoar works great! Now to come up with a Chessentan/Untheric backstory, hmm...
Erlendir Ravensong: Ranger, protector and guide - bio
Tasia Sphaerideion: Bounty hunter, scout and sailor - bio
Kiartan Exiled: Mercenary, exile and son of a traitor - bio

Return to “Archive”