Familiars, Particularly "Improved" Familiars

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

User avatar
Mercator
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:49 am

Familiars, Particularly "Improved" Familiars

Unread post by Mercator »

Its a pretty simple pair of questions but:

- What is the legality of the various mundane familiars in settlements? Cats, Weasels etc. Are these all allowed?
- What is the legality of the "Improved" familiars. I imagine this varies per settlement and per familiar, but have the rules been hashed out?

I am asking as I might be about to start Familiar searching RP and, I dont want to end up with the little guy having to live in the sewers or something!
Cosimo Delucca, Waterdeep Office Chamberlain of House Darius - "I need to think. Got any wine?"
User avatar
DM Dagon
Posts: 2001
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:23 pm

Re: Familiars, Particularly "Improved" Familiars

Unread post by DM Dagon »

From the top of my head, only Baldur's Gate has restrictions of it. That is, "dirty" animals are banned and nothing bigger then a peacock may be brought within the city, legally.

Amnian people might not like you if your familiar looks "magical" or does anything of that sort, and I would keep my Spellcasting License at hand, in such cases.

There is no set ruling on this, as far as I'm aware, so this is just my personal opinon.

It would be easier to answer if you were to name a specific familiar.
User avatar
Mercator
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:49 am

Re: Familiars, Particularly "Improved" Familiars

Unread post by Mercator »

The most relevant for me right now is a Faeriedragon. And for a few others I think!
Cosimo Delucca, Waterdeep Office Chamberlain of House Darius - "I need to think. Got any wine?"
User avatar
DM Soulcatcher
DM
Posts: 8809
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:40 pm
Location: Always in Your Shadow

Re: Familiars, Particularly "Improved" Familiars

Unread post by DM Soulcatcher »

Technically there's a law in canon laws of Baldur's Gate (It's not present on our server) that nothing larger than a peacock from animals can pass into the city, and that's why it's supposedly a very clean city and without being full of stench.

I think Faerie and Pseudodragons can certainly pass through as your familiars, and nobody will bat an eye at you (except, you know. You have dragon "pets"! It is a wonder). They are ment to be very small dragons, after all.
~All Their Days are Numbered~
~Campaign Coordinator for 1353DR, 1354DR and 1355DR Metaplot~

Return to “Questions for DMs”