The war on lag

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

enys
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:44 am

The war on lag

Unread post by enys »

First of all its a good initiative with the donations, a new and upgraded server would definitely help this PW!
I love this PW and its community with a passion, but unfortunately the lag has gotten to us on the wrong side of the Atlantic, thus making the game quite unplayable, with 200-300 ping being the lowest possible here.
Although the server/database has been upgraded several times, I still feel that you, the developers, always are one step behind the building lag.
Therefore I would like you to consider fighting the lag in more unconventional ways.

WASD movement

One of the old rules clearly stated that WASD movement was not to be used, and I believe that it is the root of all evil lagspikes and infinite rubberbands!
Therefore I ask you devs and DM's to enforce this rule with a hard line, and if possible, disable the WASD movement entirely.
Now one holding the opposite view might say that not many use wasd or that they arent using it all the time, but this is not to be regarded as a valid argument because there is no way to monitor how much and how long people are using WASD movement!
Therefore there should be zero tolerance and nil WASD on this server... I urge you to consider this!
It has already been confirmed by skywing that WASD movement creates packet flooding, and thus is the root to most of the lag.

source:
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... =0#7138794


Multi-threading

Now this is a field that I'm no expert on, if any, but I have heard from several of the BG:TSCC users say that nwn2's inability to utilize multi-threading is again contributing to lag.
Well on my end I can see that nwn2 use core 1 and 4, and not 2 and 3.
Its thinkable that the server might have the same problem, and thus making this issue a problem that only Obsidian can solve.
I'm not sure if I understood this thesis.. but its something like that.
Any input regarding multi-threading from you guys is appreciated :)
"Empty barrels make the most noise"
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: The war on lag

Unread post by Luna »

We'll see what happens when we get a new server up.
Right now our server is in Vancouver, Canada.
Essentially as far west on continental america as can be from Europe.

The new server will probably be more in the middle of america, or more eastern america.
So it might help with the pings from Europe.

And the lag is more caused by the CPU just being saturated.

We only use like 15% to 20% of the network bandwidth we have on the server.
So we aren't hitting a network bottleneck on the server.
enys
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:44 am

Re: The war on lag

Unread post by enys »

What about the ingame appearance changer, couldn't you improve its performance somehow or possibly make it more client-sided?
I know alot of people tend to spam the scroll buttons which cant be good for our ping...
"Empty barrels make the most noise"
User avatar
Rask
Recognized Donor
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:34 pm
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: The war on lag

Unread post by Rask »

Luna wrote:We'll see what happens when we get a new server up.
Right now our server is in Vancouver, Canada.
Essentially as far west on continental america as can be from Europe.

The new server will probably be more in the middle of america, or more eastern america.
So it might help with the pings from Europe.

And the lag is more caused by the CPU just being saturated.

We only use like 15% to 20% of the network bandwidth we have on the server.
So we aren't hitting a network bottleneck on the server.
Noo keep it in Vancouver thats near me.
Rennec Rokranon, Chosen of Helm, Retired for now
Isra Wynterborne, Necromancer Hunter
Rask, The Lich, Retired
S.Ravenpath, collector and author of tall tales.
Nathka Blacksand - Khazark of the Enclave
Richter Bedevere - The Reveler and enjoyer of fine wines

Return to “Questions for DMs”