Shining Hand Monk

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Caelin
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:41 am

Shining Hand Monk

Unread post by Caelin »

Hey all! I'm planning out a shining hand Monk build. The lore I've found so far says monk-wizard multiclass. From a lore perspective is monk-sorceror as valid?
James Merlin - Traveling, Treasure Hunting Troubadour of Tymora
Garet Sunder - Monk of the Fallen Star
Duncan Thorne - Sellsword and follower of the Red Knight
Vivian Blake - Wheeler and Dealer (Merchant)
Bran Emberfist - Monk of the Order of the Four Ways
User avatar
Snarfy
Posts: 1430
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: Shining Hand Monk

Unread post by Snarfy »

I've always toyed with the idea of making a monk-arcane type(after reading the Haunted Lands trilogy), so I would wager monk-sorcerer is probably fine. As for how to make a viable build that wont get purged by every low level, dispel spamming mob, well... good luck? :lol: (Since I couldn't think of a monk-arcane, I went and made a monk/cleric/SF, who's a former member of the Shining Hand)

Seriously though, I don't think monk-sorcerer is that much of a stretch lore-wise, at least not in comparison with 80% of the builds that are probably running around on BG(which isn't a dig... I cant imagine that half the players here even take lore into consideration when building their characters, so good on ya).
There are no level 30's, only level 20's with benefits...
User avatar
K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:38 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Shining Hand Monk

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra »

But really mechanics wise playing a monk/sorcerer sounds like an extreme kind of masochism doesn't it?
K'yon Oblodra
Necromancer of the school of Necromancy
Silent seat for the school of Necromancy
Caelin
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:41 am

Re: Shining Hand Monk

Unread post by Caelin »

Snarfy wrote: ↑Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:51 pm I've always toyed with the idea of making a monk-arcane type(after reading the Haunted Lands trilogy), so I would wager monk-sorcerer is probably fine. As for how to make a viable build that wont get purged by every low level, dispel spamming mob, well... good luck? :lol: (Since I couldn't think of a monk-arcane, I went and made a monk/cleric/SF, who's a former member of the Shining Hand)

Seriously though, I don't think monk-sorcerer is that much of a stretch lore-wise, at least not in comparison with 80% of the builds that are probably running around on BG(which isn't a dig... I cant imagine that half the players here even take lore into consideration when building their characters, so good on ya).
The build I'm planning for now is Monk 11/shadow dancer 3/sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight 10.


The plan is to use hips to avoid the dispels, and hopefully be pretty survivable for a little bit without spells.
James Merlin - Traveling, Treasure Hunting Troubadour of Tymora
Garet Sunder - Monk of the Fallen Star
Duncan Thorne - Sellsword and follower of the Red Knight
Vivian Blake - Wheeler and Dealer (Merchant)
Bran Emberfist - Monk of the Order of the Four Ways
Caelin
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:41 am

Re: Shining Hand Monk

Unread post by Caelin »

K'yon Oblodra wrote: ↑Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:01 pm But really mechanics wise playing a monk/sorcerer sounds like an extreme kind of masochism doesn't it?
What can I say? I like a challenge :D
James Merlin - Traveling, Treasure Hunting Troubadour of Tymora
Garet Sunder - Monk of the Fallen Star
Duncan Thorne - Sellsword and follower of the Red Knight
Vivian Blake - Wheeler and Dealer (Merchant)
Bran Emberfist - Monk of the Order of the Four Ways
bono_bob
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:59 pm

Re: Shining Hand Monk

Unread post by bono_bob »

Monk mage = meh
Monk sorceror = what the heck are you doing being cha based as a monk?

Warlock monk combos are not the worst combo in the world as you do not actaully need cha to use invocations, just for dcs. Still not recommended but the most viable magic monk i can think of with hideous blow.

Monk wizard can go eldritch knight+ dragon slayer for maximum ab. This server nerfs polymorph effects with monk wisdom ac synergy I think but you might still be able to do flurry of blows. Again I think warlock does a much better melee arcane as being super high dex is good for both.

Sorceror monk is just terrible. If the whole "innate/intuitive/kamehameha" power aesthetic is what you are going for, remember warlocks have unlimited casting and can merge their blast into melee. If you just want a true arcane man of the cloth cloth, Wizard is much better than sorceror. Since monks RP wise are very compatible with being the scribe type.

Also i think nwn 2 lets you combst expertise while casting5.

So 4 monks (3 before 20 and 1 more near 30 to top off tumble) + practiced spellcaster can get you full caster level, dex and wisdom to ac + 3 to tumble+ 6 combat exlerise + all your buffs etc as well as moving 10% faster.

If you insist on punching and not being warlock, a 3 monk/ 10 Eldritch knight + 17 wizard + practised spellcaster will get you full caster lvl 30 + better bab and still punching things. Honestly its not going to compete with a normal properly built arcane gish in heavy armor though but will at least be able to function.

You could of course just do a sacred fist build while worshipping someone like Mystra.

Return to “Archive”