Server hardware and DC

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Lavda
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 am

Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Lavda »

While having dDCs and often lags, I wonder what is server hardware and what Data center its in?
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Luna »

It's in the US, in the state of Kansas.
Lavda
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Lavda »

At someones home?
And what about hardware? May be we should buy a new one?
Broham2
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Iowa, USA

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Broham2 »

I have had 0 lag or disconnects since I've been back, and rarely had any when I played/DM'd here previously.

As far as I can tell, playin on all of the other viable servers out there, we have the most stable and fluid server around.
Formerly DM Mayhem
RL tough guy wrote:"Watch my picture. I am a RL tough guy, and I rip people like you to shreds"
Lavda
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Lavda »

I usually DC on transactions. And then I have to restart several times to get area loaded.
The question was about hardware.
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Luna »

The hardware is fine.
There isn't a lot you can do to keep buying better hardware because the server can only run on 1 core.


Have you tried the nwn2 client extension?
How many people are IG when you have problems?
Is the server full?
Lavda
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Lavda »

You think nwn2 client extension can help? Where to get it?
Didn't saw any connection with no of ppl IG
Lavda
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Lavda »

Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Luna »

Lavda wrote:You think nwn2 client extension can help? Where to get it?
Didn't saw any connection with no of ppl IG
Everyone who has tried it said it helps a lot.
User avatar
Xanfyrst
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:12 am
Location: In Sierante's naughty dreams

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Xanfyrst »

Luna wrote:
Lavda wrote:You think nwn2 client extension can help? Where to get it?
Didn't saw any connection with no of ppl IG
Everyone who has tried it said it helps a lot.
I remember saying once to you that it didn't help me at all ;)
SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK.
Alistair the Red - Roaming Bounty Hunter and Underworld Contact.
Lord Eliphas Valkarian "the Deceiver" -Chosen Prophet of Bane, Autonomous Agent of the Zhentarim. Immortal? ×Returned from the Beyond×
Lavda
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Lavda »

It didn't. Same DCs and transaction hangs
Molag__Bal
Posts: 2925
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Molag__Bal »

Are you always getting lag and transition disconnects, or just when the server has been up a long time and is close to being full?

As far as the disconnects go, does your game close automatically when transitioning, or do you close it manually when it seems like the transition is hanging? When the server has been up for a long time and the DM's are running large events I will sometimes have 2 minute transition times. If this is what you are experiencing, I suggest that you wait for five minutes and see if the transition goes through.
Lavda
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Lavda »

Transition hangs and after some time is shows up the window with connection lost, getting me to main menu.
Lavda
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Lavda »

I set QoS for nwn2main.exe in my win 7, and it became much better. Sometimes it hangs on loading in transit.
Lavda
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Server hardware and DC

Unread post by Lavda »

May be the reason is a world-around trip, but I believe that as it uses UDP (packet loss is no problem) the problem is that server drops some connections
It might be an OS or hardware issue


8 * 61 ms 79 ms 20gigabitethernet4-3.core1.fra1.he.net [80.81.192.172]
9 64 ms 64 ms 64 ms 10gigabitethernet1-4.core1.par2.he.net [184.105.213.162]
10 135 ms 137 ms 136 ms 10gigabitethernet7-1.core1.ash1.he.net [184.105.213.93]
11 133 ms 156 ms 136 ms 10gigabitethernet1-2.core1.nyc4.he.net [72.52.92.85]
12 165 ms 171 ms 174 ms 10gigabitethernet8-3.core1.chi1.he.net [72.52.92.178]
13 176 ms 175 ms 175 ms 10gigabitethernet1-1.core1.mci1.he.net [72.52.92.2]
14 175 ms 175 ms 175 ms 10gigabitethernet1-1.core1.mci2.he.net [184.105.213.2]
15 162 ms 162 ms 162 ms joe_s-data-center-llc.10gigabitethernet1-4.core1.mci1.he.net [216.66.79.14]
16 162 ms 162 ms 162 ms DC2-SW1.KCMODATACENTER.com [96.43.134.38]
17 175 ms 175 ms 175 ms host4gulf.net [208.94.245.10]

Return to “Questions for DMs”