Any need for weapons or Items

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

dzidek1983
Posts: 1248
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Poland

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by dzidek1983 »

dont think the crossbow has an animation

Image


there are some other apperances.... to the STAFF.... PLEASE make them available to the apperance changer....
Hey, I just lost it, And this is crazy, But here's my login, So PM me, maybe?
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Matherhorn »

I got the 3D Part of the "Siege hammer" for War Mace model catagory done. I built in in Truespace because I'm more used to working with it.. the model is in three parts which hopefully will go along with the game engine.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/h ... directlink

I intend on texturing inside GMAX, and using Gimp editor..
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Luna »

Looks nice.
And ye.. I forgot about crossbows. Heavy Crossbows pretty much have nothing.
We have some light crossbow models.
But if you can do any,.. maybe just make the same model usable for both heavy and light.
We would use it in both places I think.
Aeb Ankor
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:13 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Aeb Ankor »

How about some padded armors that are manly and geared to sneaks/ rangers/ dex users that don't just look like fancy clothes and colored bubble wrap? Maybe more dark and camouflage colorations
"It is a good bet that I like your character, more than I like you... keep it IC and close to lore and we might stay friends."

"I hate snowflakes and butterflies, die die die!'


#OrcLivesMatter
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Matherhorn »

In case you want to see if the custom War Mace model will work, here is the untextured model download.

1 download is in DFX format and consists of three meshes, or you can download the MBD version as three which works in gmax or 3dsm with the right plugin.

you can goto my googlesite at https://sites.google.com/site/galgoreopengraphics/nwn2 to find the downloadables
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Luna »

Thanks Matherhorn.. will try to give this a try within the next few days.
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Matherhorn »

I am hoping to make custom armor appearances for the Appearance changer.. *Such as Padded as asked..*

I am using a tutorial found at

http://vnfiles.ign.com/nwvault.ign.com/ ... eation.pdf

The basics of it, is to go to blueprint, creature, companions, and copy a blue print and edit the armor tab.. will that procedure work in this PW for use in the Appearance changer.
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Matherhorn »

Here is a Image of a Blueprint template I made called Paddedstalker, as he kinda has rogue bounty hunter look.

Image

And if this is how armor templates for appearance changer are made, then you the download of the blue print is

https://sites.google.com/site/galgoreop ... r-preset-s
User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Duster47 »

I believe you are mis-understanding our request. The builder staff and many players are proficient in creating all sorts of different looks using the currently available models and skins.

Some of us can "reskin" existing models creating something very new, such as:
Image

What is desired are new models - the underlying frame on-which the skin (new or existing) resides. Such as the hammer model you made. But for armors. Some other padded armor model. Or shields. A just-above-the-knee-length dress. Or flowery headbands and bouquets. Etc. :D
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Matherhorn »

Sounds good.

For the body model.. If I made a new chest plate for Full Plate.. would that replace the whole torso, or would it just fit over the torso.

Seems to me allot of the armor pieces just attach to the frame, but not the torso.

I'd love to create new torso models for armor.
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Matherhorn »

I made a Full Plate Armor Mesh for the PW.. Its in hopes a mesh to replace the torso model as the mesh.. No Arms and ends at torso with shoulders but no neck or head.

If this model will work in game, I can design more like it.. I think I understand that Arm Guards, and stuff go over the body part mesh.. and I think the torso armor will replace the body part.. if wrong let me know.. thanks
Image

The mesh still needs touchups, like around neck and shoulders. but just wondering if I'm on right track.

a link to dfx file
https://sites.google.com/site/galgoreop ... mor-meshes
User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Duster47 »

Yes, that is the general idea. But instead of working from scratch, you need to work off of an existing *mdb file to ensure the bend-points and hook-points match up with the character shape that will wear it. This will also decrease the probability of clipping problems.

"Clothes" are actually a complete unit covering the entire body below the the neck except the hands. So there would be a cuff at the wrists and neck. Feet can be included but often stop below the knees with another pair of cuffs there. This design method is why short sleeves and below-turtle-neck outfits are inherently problematic with getting meshes to blend and properly reflect skin tones. Instead, designers create complete new body models and skins then overlay clothing. This is what you see in NWVault for clothing by Aleanne, Chimneyfish, etc.

Go to your files: <drive>/ProgramFiles/Atari/NeverwinterNights2/Data/NWN2_Models/ and open the *zip file. Here you will find all of the separate armor elements such as shoulder pads and bracer model files. There are different versions for each base-race type and gender (usually 10 minimum models, though some may be clones).

Scroll down to P_ section where the models for clothing, boots, gloves, cloaks, heads, hair, etc. are located. Save a copy of one, such as P_HHM_LE_Body01.mdb. This should be a the model file for human male leather armor style 1.

Then open the *mdb file in GMax with an NWN2_*mdb inport plugin or similar program and you should see the wireframe model file.

If you made it this far, then you will probably understand why creating new models is very time intensive. Simple re-skins can take hours (what I do often). Starting from the wireframe probably becomes days to get it correct.

You will also need the "MDB Cloner" from NWVault to apply new skins to new models or clone different skins onto existing models (what I do often).

I seriously doubt the typical NWN2 player has any idea of what some of us builders do for you players. It is very tedious work. Though it is very cool to see something on your home computer in Photoshop become an in-game object. :ugeek:
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Luna »

Matherhorn wrote:In case you want to see if the custom War Mace model will work, here is the untextured model download.

1 download is in DFX format and consists of three meshes, or you can download the MBD version as three which works in gmax or 3dsm with the right plugin.

you can goto my googlesite at https://sites.google.com/site/galgoreopengraphics/nwn2 to find the downloadables

Matherhorn, I'm not 100% sure how to convert this to a weapon nwn2 can use?
Normally a weapon is 1 MDB file and I think 1-3 DDS files.

Can you download a weapon hak from nwn2 vault and see how they do it?

I was gonna try to get this in the appearance changer for the next update for people to use, but I'm just not sure how to implement it with the files you provided.

Thanks
User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by Duster47 »

Luna wrote:
Matherhorn wrote:In case you want to see if the custom War Mace model will work, here is the untextured model download.

1 download is in DFX format and consists of three meshes, or you can download the MBD version as three which works in gmax or 3dsm with the right plugin.

you can goto my googlesite at https://sites.google.com/site/galgoreopengraphics/nwn2 to find the downloadables

Matherhorn, I'm not 100% sure how to convert this to a weapon nwn2 can use?
Normally a weapon is 1 MDB file and I think 1-3 DDS files.

Can you download a weapon hak from nwn2 vault and see how they do it?

I was gonna try to get this in the appearance changer for the next update for people to use, but I'm just not sure how to implement it with the files you provided.

Thanks
Matherhorn, I highly recommend you follow my instructions above but find a weapon model file. The weapons' model file names begin with "W_." There are 2 sets of mace models with 3 parts each (style 01 and 02 and parts a, b, and c) The hook points (where to grip the object) on your model must match those of an equivalent weapon type or else it will not be gripped correctly. Your weapon can be single-part I believe. What is really important it exactly matching the file-name format or else it will not appear in the Toolset. Also must process the *mdb in MDB Cloner for the game to know what DDS files goes with it. There are usually 3 *dds files per weapon or armor; a base skin, a tint skin (_t), and shiny-channel skin (_n). The tint and shiny are both optional. All of these are set on the *mdb.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
breteas
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Re: Any need for weapons or Items

Unread post by breteas »

Alright, I'm still having a look at this but it's alot to figure out. So far I got to this point:

Image

I can edit the textures, you need the DDS plugin for gimp:
http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/

I haven't been able to edit the model and export it to a working MDB file of my own.

For max you need the MDB exporter/importer:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nw ... d=27#Files

Personally, I am thinking we might need to do a session on MSN with everyone interested and the applications loaded? There's a lot involved in getting all this to work, if we all were online at the same time, we could try and figure out how to do this. Because, while I am decent at modeling/texturing:

Image


I have real trouble with some of the matters realting to HAK's, 2da files, the toolset and what not. If we could do a few chat sessions, and figure this stuff out, I think that would be highly productive. I'd love to put some time in to this, and know I have not been exactly reliable in the past, but this is sort of a major hobby for me. And honestly, making weapons and such in 3D is easy. I am walking in to all kinds of troubles getting the stuff I made suitable for NwN2. I am simply not a programmer.

Considering animations and making new models that walk the land, there is an issue I ran into conerning Granny files. Apparently those files are used to store animation and such, but I have no way to open them. It seems the tool used for that is not available for Max 2010. And even then, it's hard to find any good information on this:
http://gr2decode.altervista.org/download.html

In case we do have some measure of succes with this. ;)
So, any thoughts?

Cheers,

Bre

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”