Any need for weapons or Items
Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM
-
Duster47
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
- Location: Florida, USA
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Very cool. I am glad you figured this out.
Placeable Desirements? Ballista. Perferably a functional (animated) ballista. Would be a great weapon for seiges and ships.
Keep in mind each placeable requires its own entry in the .2da file.
Placeable Desirements? Ballista. Perferably a functional (animated) ballista. Would be a great weapon for seiges and ships.
Keep in mind each placeable requires its own entry in the .2da file.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
I'll be looking in to things like doors, armours and weapons soon. Newly created objects that are animated are still an issue. I hope I can figure that one out soon too.
Right now, any static object should be relatively easy to make. Depending on the size of and complexity of a model, time needed may vary from anywhere between a day to a few weeks.
As for now, build team has asked for:
- Battering ram:
As a static object, possible. Animated or used as an NPC, it's not going to happen unless I find the plugin I need, or I get a lucky break and run into the solution.
- Ballista
As a static object, possible. See: Battering Ram
- Stalactites/mites
Should be fairly easy to crank out a bunch. I'll have a look at making tintable versions, so they can be used inside, as well as on exterior areas.
- Drow homes
Waiting on Mar3's specs of what he wants.
I'll have a crack at the above, starting with the - Stalactites/mites as soon as possible. I'll work on the Balista/Battering Ram in between, since I think I can use parts of one model for the other too.
I'll keep posting on that thread to show progress, feel free to comment on stuff you see.
Edit: I posted some information on getting moving (animated) objects a few pages back. It -does- look like we can overwrite existing files. Have a look at it:
http://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20812&start=60
If anyone can come up with a solution, that would be great.
Right now, any static object should be relatively easy to make. Depending on the size of and complexity of a model, time needed may vary from anywhere between a day to a few weeks.
As for now, build team has asked for:
- Battering ram:
As a static object, possible. Animated or used as an NPC, it's not going to happen unless I find the plugin I need, or I get a lucky break and run into the solution.
- Ballista
As a static object, possible. See: Battering Ram
- Stalactites/mites
Should be fairly easy to crank out a bunch. I'll have a look at making tintable versions, so they can be used inside, as well as on exterior areas.
- Drow homes
Waiting on Mar3's specs of what he wants.
I'll have a crack at the above, starting with the - Stalactites/mites as soon as possible. I'll work on the Balista/Battering Ram in between, since I think I can use parts of one model for the other too.
I'll keep posting on that thread to show progress, feel free to comment on stuff you see.
Edit: I posted some information on getting moving (animated) objects a few pages back. It -does- look like we can overwrite existing files. Have a look at it:
http://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20812&start=60
If anyone can come up with a solution, that would be great.
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Steve, you'll need a Normal map plugin as well. I found one for gimp:
http://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap ... -1.2.2.zip
As for Photoshop, I am not sure where you can get it.
http://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap ... -1.2.2.zip
As for Photoshop, I am not sure where you can get it.
-
Ivan38Rus
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 1417
- Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:44 pm
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Breteas being actually productive? *rubs his eyes*
Ha! Just kidding, man. Thumbs up. Many would've given up.
Ha! Just kidding, man. Thumbs up. Many would've given up.
-
Rasael
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 8096
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
He hijacked matterhorns topic
I hope we'll soon have a flood of new models to gawk at from both of you
I hope we'll soon have a flood of new models to gawk at from both of you
-
c2k
- Posts: 1230
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Well, at least it was a productive hijack.Rasael wrote:He hijacked matterhorns topic![]()
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Alright, as expected all beginings are tough.
I'll need to get a grasp of lighting conditions and such, so my models look in "sync" with the rest of the world. Here's an early example of a stalagmite model I made:

Not quite happy with it yet, but I'll get the hang of it, I'm sure.
I made it tintable so the colours are up to the builders.
New and improved version 2 will be out soon.
I'll need to get a grasp of lighting conditions and such, so my models look in "sync" with the rest of the world. Here's an early example of a stalagmite model I made:

Not quite happy with it yet, but I'll get the hang of it, I'm sure.
I made it tintable so the colours are up to the builders.
New and improved version 2 will be out soon.
-
Broham2
- Posts: 542
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:36 pm
- Location: Iowa, USA
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Very nice work. A canyon floor strewn with those and populated with some sneaky spawns would be a very scary place indeed.
Formerly DM Mayhem
RL tough guy wrote:"Watch my picture. I am a RL tough guy, and I rip people like you to shreds"
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
I forgot the most important thing of them all. A whip!!
This has been one of those elusive weapons we can't add since there is no model.
Maybe one of you who can do modeling knows this. Perhaps you can take the one from nwn1 and mod it?
This has been one of those elusive weapons we can't add since there is no model.
Maybe one of you who can do modeling knows this. Perhaps you can take the one from nwn1 and mod it?
-
IAmDeathComeForThee
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 1408
- Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
- Location: Canada
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
breteas, don't worry about lighting and backdrop settings. All that can be modified and fiddled around with in the toolset anyway. For interiors you'll never get the type of settings you're looking at in tht screenshot anway, but more dark and dreary type lighting. Looks good! Keep it up man, can wait to see more of your creations. 
EDIT Oh, and is that a spiral staircase I see?
EDIT Oh, and is that a spiral staircase I see?
"good is never as good as it's supposed to be. Although evil is often every bit as bad." -Richard Lee Byers.
-
c2k
- Posts: 1230
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Luna wrote:I forgot the most important thing of them all. A whip!!
This has been one of those elusive weapons we can't add since there is no model.
Maybe one of you who can do modeling knows this. Perhaps you can take the one from nwn1 and mod it?
Modeling a whip should be simple. Animating a whip... good luck.
Also, you would probably need to create a new base item for a whip. I could be wrong though, it might still be in the baseitem.2da, just turned off.
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Yup, yup. Lighting no prob then.
Will be looking at finding an efficient way to make placeables like that in a relatively short amount of time. I think once I get the hang of it, should be able to make stuff like that within a days modelling.
Yeah Death, I made the stairs to find out how walkmesh works with placeables. Walkable wall sections for example. Flat roofed houses, anything you can imagine being walked on really. Just keep in mind, like Mar3 pointed out, walkmesh is a 2D height map. So there's some restriction as to what's possible. Keeping that in mind however, everything else is game.
I'm still trying to figure out how to edit/create animated objects like whips, armours or new creatures. Will be some time before I get the hang of that, if ever. We'll see.
Will be looking at finding an efficient way to make placeables like that in a relatively short amount of time. I think once I get the hang of it, should be able to make stuff like that within a days modelling.
Yeah Death, I made the stairs to find out how walkmesh works with placeables. Walkable wall sections for example. Flat roofed houses, anything you can imagine being walked on really. Just keep in mind, like Mar3 pointed out, walkmesh is a 2D height map. So there's some restriction as to what's possible. Keeping that in mind however, everything else is game.
I'm still trying to figure out how to edit/create animated objects like whips, armours or new creatures. Will be some time before I get the hang of that, if ever. We'll see.
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
I forgot breteas a whip has to move. That sounds hard then. 
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
I need granny file (*.gr2) importer/exporter for Max 2010. Or version 7/8 of Max. I had 7 one time, but can't find the disk it is on.
Another thing, from what I understand we -can- overwrite existing (animated) models. Npc from OC for example. However, it would lead to those models being completely overwritten. And not useable IG at all. There's quite a bunch of Npc's used in OC, which might be up for overwriting.
Example:
Aldanon, Black garius, Slaan, etc.
These are models with existing rigging which, according to a website I found, might be overwritten. We would use existing animations, and overwrite the models using the animation.
Again, I am not sure if this is something we want. Also not tested that yet.
Another thing, from what I understand we -can- overwrite existing (animated) models. Npc from OC for example. However, it would lead to those models being completely overwritten. And not useable IG at all. There's quite a bunch of Npc's used in OC, which might be up for overwriting.
Example:
Aldanon, Black garius, Slaan, etc.
These are models with existing rigging which, according to a website I found, might be overwritten. We would use existing animations, and overwrite the models using the animation.
Again, I am not sure if this is something we want. Also not tested that yet.
-
Rasael
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 8096
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
You can just copy the models to another 2da entry and change those - that works the same I think.