How to make an NPC?

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

williamfredrickson
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Mission Viejo, California

How to make an NPC?

Unread post by williamfredrickson »

Could anyone post a brief walkthrough on how to make an NPC for a complete beginner? I finally got my toolset to work without crashing, and I'm itching to make some NPCs for the server (it takes so long to make them on the DM client!)

I'm used to the NWN1 toolset, but I don't even know where to begin now!

For instance... how do I load up the proper files from the server to even start making an NPC? If I got to that point, I believe I could hack it eventually...
William Fredrickson - Weave Captain and ex-Luskan soldier
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by Luna »

Hmm, someone asked this in the QC thread today and Adzling posted this link.
http://www.nwn2toolset.dayjo.org/Toolse ... tures.html

[EDIT] I usually copy a human in humanoids and start from there. I never build one from scratch like that. I think it's more work. But I'm not totally sure? Try to copy a human and kind of follow that tutorial.
williamfredrickson
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Mission Viejo, California

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by williamfredrickson »

Ah! Thank you very much, Luna! This will greatly help!

But how do I go about loading the proper files from the server so I can get our custom items and such??
William Fredrickson - Weave Captain and ex-Luskan soldier
Sir_Carnifex
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by Sir_Carnifex »

If you would ever get on MSN, I could show you!
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
williamfredrickson
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Mission Viejo, California

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by williamfredrickson »

Ha, okay, SirC. I'm on it right now as [email protected]. Show me how!
William Fredrickson - Weave Captain and ex-Luskan soldier
Sir_Carnifex
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by Sir_Carnifex »

williamfredrickson wrote:Ha, okay, SirC. I'm on it right now as [email protected]. Show me how!
You message me perhaps? You show as offline to me.
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
Knightmare
Retired Staff
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am
Location: One step ahead!

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by Knightmare »

As you'll discover eventually, it is pretty straight forward to create NPCs but I would emplore that you look into the BAB progression and AC setup when creating critters for the players to combat. It can also be tricky to get the NPCs to use spells and special features in the way you want them to. That usually requires some "trial and error testing" in a test mod. Further, remember to tag them as the appropiate category e.g. humanoids, giants etc. depending on the creature you make ;)

There are some wierd issues with feat assignment and combat behaviour but let's address those when/if you run into them.

Can you tell us when you get the hang of it, I have some requests for NPCs, and for some reason Josh won't let me "waste my time" making them, haha :lol:
When you light a candle, you cast a shadow too ~ Artemis
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius
Knightmare
Retired Staff
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am
Location: One step ahead!

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by Knightmare »

By the way, creating NPCs is very similar to nwn1 though it may not seem that way intially. It is just because the interface and design of the new toolset is a bit different ;)
When you light a candle, you cast a shadow too ~ Artemis
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius
williamfredrickson
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Mission Viejo, California

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by williamfredrickson »

Knightmare wrote:By the way, creating NPCs is very similar to nwn1 though it may not seem that way intially. It is just because the interface and design of the new toolset is a bit different ;)
Hehe, as far as the new interface goes, I wish they just stuck with the old adage, "If it ain't broke..."
William Fredrickson - Weave Captain and ex-Luskan soldier
Sir_Carnifex
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by Sir_Carnifex »

Here's a quick one related to this:

Why do NPCs start out as wounded? I notice most of the ones I make don't quite have hit points at maximum, just like many of the NPCs on the server were/are like.
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
Knightmare
Retired Staff
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am
Location: One step ahead!

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by Knightmare »

Do they have HP increasing items on the them or something that grants bonus HP? They might get applied after the NPC is spawned which will lower their health bar.

And on that note, do not ever put items on NPCs because they cause lag. Only custom skins should be applied. Anything else should be adjusted on the character sheets.
When you light a candle, you cast a shadow too ~ Artemis
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius
Sir_Carnifex
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by Sir_Carnifex »

Hm. A few of them might.

Generally I don't put items on them except for:

Weapon
Shield
Ammunition
Spare weapon (if needed)
Healing Kits

Somehow I don't think those things can be applied using a custom skin. ;)


However, sometimes it's nice to have items on them instead of the custom skin. We DMs need to be able to customize stuff on occasion and that's impossible when the skin is overriding any change we make.
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
williamfredrickson
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:43 am
Location: Mission Viejo, California

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by williamfredrickson »

I feel very foolish for not being able to figure this out, but...

I added the hacks into my mod (thanks to SirC), and was starting to create an NPC, but I can't find any of the custom items, (like Flaming Fist armor, Weave Master cloak etc.), nor any custom creatures... All I see in the blueprints section are the standard items and creatures.... Did I overlook a vital step?

I'm sorry if I'm being a bother! :oops:
William Fredrickson - Weave Captain and ex-Luskan soldier
Sir_Carnifex
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Lurking and Watching with Intent to Smite

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by Sir_Carnifex »

You won't find blueprints in there. You just need to change an item's looks to the appropriate skin. For cloaks, you can just go to the appearance wizard and give the NPC the proper one from there (using override).

Of course, any time I'm on the forum, I'm generally on MSN if you want to ask questions.
Retired Dungeon Master and Developer
Knightmare
Retired Staff
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am
Location: One step ahead!

Re: How to make an NPC?

Unread post by Knightmare »

Of course there are a few exceptions where you need to put on some custom gear on the NPCs, such as the Lathander guards in Beregost.
I should have said that adding items should be avoided where it is possible.
For example, if you want an NPC to have regeneration or damage resistance you shouldn't give them a ring of regen or a belt of dmg reduction but add a skin which has those properties ;)

William, BG operates with many small haks instead of a big combined one which is why you may not find custom weapons, scripts or monsters in the hak you've installed. The easiest way to get those things is if someone has some erf files in which they are compiled. You will then have to export them into your module to get them.

Remember to save all erf files somewhere in case your module becomes corrupted. ;)
When you light a candle, you cast a shadow too ~ Artemis
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”