Library for Visual Studio?

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

Library for Visual Studio?

Unread post by Servin »

Perhaps it's mentioned here somewhere and I missed it. Is there a library for Visual Studio you can script with instead of the toolset? I know some plug-ins can be done in C# so it was worth a shot...

Reason I'm asking is that I don't have the toolset on this laptop (and can't have, because it's only capable of trolling on the forums :P ) but it's got VS and mayhaps could do some scripting given time.
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me
Ivan38Rus
Retired Staff
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: Library for Visual Studio?

Unread post by Ivan38Rus »

It's okay, forum trolling has been on the down side for awhile now.

I used this:
nssclc - NSS Command-Line Compiler with NWN Lexicon for reference.

No idea if there's a library for Visual Studio.
Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Library for Visual Studio?

Unread post by Servin »

That looks like the thing I might be looking for. Thanks. Still would be cool for a library though 8-)
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me
User avatar
Rasael
Retired Staff
Posts: 8096
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Leiden, Netherlands

Re: Library for Visual Studio?

Unread post by Rasael »

There is the CLR Software Development Kit by Skywing, I think the server uses that but I'm not sure exactly how it hooks into the game or whether or not Luna would consider applying such scripts.

http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1853

I don't think we currently use the Script Accelerator though, I suspect it was using too much memory and caused lag because of that.

If we switch over to using MYSQL for the Auction and Bulletin Boards it might be worth trying that again.
Servin
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Library for Visual Studio?

Unread post by Servin »

*no patronising intended*

Yes. .NET environment is tad different to other scripts. For multi-core experience you need to keep your code in classes and created objects, otherwise you end up going on a single core (which I think this game was designed for anyway, but hey maybe that's how the accelerator works - allows multicore stuff from the server). And classes and objects can be a bit tricky for beginner coders. I'm not sure how you guys work and how does NWN script work, therefore I'm not claiming you don't do those anyway.

The benefit of that is if it links to a database it has great speed with SQL Server, unlike the webbie MySQL which in official statistics takes about x4 the time to return stuff (about a second through PHP). SQL Server costs a licence to run however, while MySQL is free. It's all down to testing and code quality.

I'm a web programmer and I enjoy code banter btw :P
Cake is a lie, there are only donuts
Through donuts, I gain happiness
Through happiness, I gain calories
Through calories, i gain fat
Through fat, my chains are broken
The donuts shall free me

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”