Battle Music and Background sounds
Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM
-
Eviloth
- Posts: 353
- Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 pm
- Location: Michigan, United States
Battle Music and Background sounds
Hi all,
I was curious if anyone would object to removing all battle music from the maps. I find this to be somewhat silly and players can metagame others being on the map. Generally I think that if you are close enough to hear the fighting of battle than yes, you would know that others are on the map, but since the battle music is global across the whole map it tends to be somewhat unrealistic.
Also if not remove the background music, could we atleast turn the sound level down. For example within the city of Sshamath, the music sounds fine, but maybe set it to like 20%?
I was curious if anyone would object to removing all battle music from the maps. I find this to be somewhat silly and players can metagame others being on the map. Generally I think that if you are close enough to hear the fighting of battle than yes, you would know that others are on the map, but since the battle music is global across the whole map it tends to be somewhat unrealistic.
Also if not remove the background music, could we atleast turn the sound level down. For example within the city of Sshamath, the music sounds fine, but maybe set it to like 20%?
"Seriously, the Maw?"Cazna Sshamath
"Dhaerrow, I will kill you then I am going to kill that little witch Yathrin you are leashed too.Le'alvath Greenbow
"Dhaerrow, I will kill you then I am going to kill that little witch Yathrin you are leashed too.Le'alvath Greenbow
-
Hoihe
- Posts: 4719
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
I oppose this idea.
For a video game, sounds are very important for immersion in my opinion.
Battle music in itself lifts the expoloration theme into danger. I myself have a bit of a weird feeling when I still have that mysterious ruins soundtrack going while getting chopped up by monsters.
Sometimes it gets annoying, especially when people start grinding in an area where you want to RP but then I sometimes try to extend the battle music as long as I can by keeping battle up just to listen to it.
For the background sounds, I value them a lot. They really do bring an atmosphere to a game.
Sounds & Music are a few of the reasons I love Gothic series.
For a video game, sounds are very important for immersion in my opinion.
Battle music in itself lifts the expoloration theme into danger. I myself have a bit of a weird feeling when I still have that mysterious ruins soundtrack going while getting chopped up by monsters.
Sometimes it gets annoying, especially when people start grinding in an area where you want to RP but then I sometimes try to extend the battle music as long as I can by keeping battle up just to listen to it.
For the background sounds, I value them a lot. They really do bring an atmosphere to a game.
Sounds & Music are a few of the reasons I love Gothic series.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and memories without fail - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
-
Eviloth
- Posts: 353
- Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 pm
- Location: Michigan, United States
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
to clarify I am not trying to really push to eliminate the background music, but turn it down some. But the battle music is really my chief complaint.
"Seriously, the Maw?"Cazna Sshamath
"Dhaerrow, I will kill you then I am going to kill that little witch Yathrin you are leashed too.Le'alvath Greenbow
"Dhaerrow, I will kill you then I am going to kill that little witch Yathrin you are leashed too.Le'alvath Greenbow
-
Hoihe
- Posts: 4719
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
It's easily remedied by the options menu.
Frankly, I believe I am one of the few who actually listens to the game's sounds and music over their own. I truly am a game music freak in honesty though.
Sometimes background sounds are indeed over the top as it were within BG, Harbor district. It was because of one sound that wasn't supposed to be all over the place was all over the place. it was reported and fixed. If there is such a loop in Ssamath then do report it please.
Frankly, I believe I am one of the few who actually listens to the game's sounds and music over their own. I truly am a game music freak in honesty though.
Sometimes background sounds are indeed over the top as it were within BG, Harbor district. It was because of one sound that wasn't supposed to be all over the place was all over the place. it was reported and fixed. If there is such a loop in Ssamath then do report it please.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and memories without fail - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
-
Jaden
- Posts: 270
- Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:26 pm
- Location: Tejas
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
Yeah, I haven't listened to BGTSCC's soundtrack. About five or so years ago I turned it off on Forgotten Realms and never went back.
John Roland: Wanderer/Ex-Paladin of Torm/ Ex Farmer
Brent Celek: That love able rogue is free alas
Ian Sondurs:Bodyguard for Lord Jan van Edelhof
Brent Celek: That love able rogue is free alas
Ian Sondurs:Bodyguard for Lord Jan van Edelhof
-
Lockonnow
- Posts: 3121
- Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:10 pm
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
I can say some of the Battle music from the frist BG and NWN2 is noisy it is not the material that was writing to the game how it was not record in harmony it was bad Orchestrated
-
Eclypticon
- Posts: 1009
- Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm
- Location: USA
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
You mean you don't battle to the meta music too?
Ya, I do like the music. I just do not think the single player battle music should come on because of someone else clear across the map. Isn't it possible to make the battle music only play for you or someone in your party, the music is stored client side, right?
Ya, I do like the music. I just do not think the single player battle music should come on because of someone else clear across the map. Isn't it possible to make the battle music only play for you or someone in your party, the music is stored client side, right?
-
Lockonnow
- Posts: 3121
- Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:10 pm
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
Here is the Best Battle music i have use http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI8TKNd2_CQ&feature=plcp
-
Xanfyrst
- Posts: 1274
- Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:12 am
- Location: In Sierante's naughty dreams
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
Uhm, I like the Nexus music. If I'm going to stay there for any extensive time (muling, waiting, whatever) I tend to turn music on. Otherwise it's turned off.
I liked the one in the war torn Beregost map, too. Wonder if it's used somewhere else now?
I liked the one in the war torn Beregost map, too. Wonder if it's used somewhere else now?
SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK.
Alistair the Red - Roaming Bounty Hunter and Underworld Contact.Lord Eliphas Valkarian "the Deceiver" -Chosen Prophet of Bane, Autonomous Agent of the Zhentarim. Immortal? ×Returned from the Beyond×
-
Eviloth
- Posts: 353
- Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 pm
- Location: Michigan, United States
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
+1 guys this is really my point that I was trying to make in my OP.Eclypticon wrote:You mean you don't battle to the meta music too?![]()
Ya, I do like the music. I just do not think the single player battle music should come on because of someone else clear across the map. Isn't it possible to make the battle music only play for you or someone in your party, the music is stored client side, right?
"Seriously, the Maw?"Cazna Sshamath
"Dhaerrow, I will kill you then I am going to kill that little witch Yathrin you are leashed too.Le'alvath Greenbow
"Dhaerrow, I will kill you then I am going to kill that little witch Yathrin you are leashed too.Le'alvath Greenbow
-
Duster47
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
- Location: Florida, USA
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
Music is sorted in areas by so you can apply different music files for Day, Night, and Battle (day and night?) in the Toolset. Native volume level and time-delay-to-begin is also adjustable. It is not possible to selectively hear it or not aside from using your local volume control.
I myself deleted the battle music from a few areas precisely because it meta-alerts PCs to danger. However, I in no way am consistant with this approach and actually avoid working on exteriors (my least favorite toiling).
That said, I do have a few music files I want to get IG. Eventually.
I myself deleted the battle music from a few areas precisely because it meta-alerts PCs to danger. However, I in no way am consistant with this approach and actually avoid working on exteriors (my least favorite toiling).
That said, I do have a few music files I want to get IG. Eventually.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
-
Eviloth
- Posts: 353
- Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 pm
- Location: Michigan, United States
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
not to get off on my own post but I LOVE doing exterior, hate hate hate interiors. But do we all atleast agree that the battle-music is what alters good players & meta gamers to others being on the same map as them?
"Seriously, the Maw?"Cazna Sshamath
"Dhaerrow, I will kill you then I am going to kill that little witch Yathrin you are leashed too.Le'alvath Greenbow
"Dhaerrow, I will kill you then I am going to kill that little witch Yathrin you are leashed too.Le'alvath Greenbow
-
Hoihe
- Posts: 4719
- Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
I personally don't think knowing another is on the same map is too big an issue, unless it's a small area.
If anything...
Make dungeons one music, exterior as they are.
I must admit I am really decided on this idea already. I just love NWN2 music too much to think of letting it go. I admit that I personally don't really care if someone finds out I enter an area and fight, so long they present me with a fun RP session. In my opinion it can even do degrind. Many times I saw grinders come to a halt in their grind when they heard someone entering the map. Sometimes they even begin to RP.
I personally try to act like there is someone nearby all the time. That is emote, emote and talk.
If anything...
Make dungeons one music, exterior as they are.
I must admit I am really decided on this idea already. I just love NWN2 music too much to think of letting it go. I admit that I personally don't really care if someone finds out I enter an area and fight, so long they present me with a fun RP session. In my opinion it can even do degrind. Many times I saw grinders come to a halt in their grind when they heard someone entering the map. Sometimes they even begin to RP.
I personally try to act like there is someone nearby all the time. That is emote, emote and talk.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and memories without fail - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
-
Jaden
- Posts: 270
- Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:26 pm
- Location: Tejas
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
Yep, one of the things I find fun to do when I am bored and grinding is to trash talk my opponent.
Bandit: I will rob your money and your life!
Me: .... Son.... just....no.... *Sighs and deflects a blow*
Bandit: I will rob your money and your life!
Me: .... Son.... just....no.... *Sighs and deflects a blow*
John Roland: Wanderer/Ex-Paladin of Torm/ Ex Farmer
Brent Celek: That love able rogue is free alas
Ian Sondurs:Bodyguard for Lord Jan van Edelhof
Brent Celek: That love able rogue is free alas
Ian Sondurs:Bodyguard for Lord Jan van Edelhof
-
maximus mischief
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:46 am
Re: Battle Music and Background sounds
my input with reading only the first like 7 posts is this:
i love in game music but the combat music is lacking in quality and is not enjoyable. it gets really annoying having it stop and start when adventuring every time an enemy comes up. i would prefer just the atmosphere and area music and no combat music. maybe only for certain things like boss battles or mini boss battles or battles with many enemies at once. but when it starts and stops for one bandit it is jarring and , it does damage the immersion for me.
thats one suggestion that would make it better.
but if that isnt possible i would say, just removing combat music all together might be preferable.
i love in game music but the combat music is lacking in quality and is not enjoyable. it gets really annoying having it stop and start when adventuring every time an enemy comes up. i would prefer just the atmosphere and area music and no combat music. maybe only for certain things like boss battles or mini boss battles or battles with many enemies at once. but when it starts and stops for one bandit it is jarring and , it does damage the immersion for me.
thats one suggestion that would make it better.
but if that isnt possible i would say, just removing combat music all together might be preferable.