Problem with deep mine tileset.

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

Knightmare
Retired Staff
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am
Location: One step ahead!

Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Knightmare »

I am having some serious issues with the walkable ledges in the deep mine tileset.

It seems completely random whether the walkmesh works - replacing and rebaking them doesn't help.

Is there a secret to get these to work properly?
When you light a candle, you cast a shadow too ~ Artemis
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

can you show a screenshot of the walkmesh of the current part giving you problems?

one thing I read on a recent download of some custom bridges, was that sometimes you have to lower the land around the edges of a plank or bridge and bake again just to ensure that nothing is blocking it.
Tip:
For best baking results place the bridge on flat terrain – bake to test walkmesh – once acceptable simply lower the terrain under the bridge (making sure that ends are uneffected) and then re-bake.
I'm not sure if this is similar to the problem you're having or not, hope this helps :)
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
Knightmare
Retired Staff
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am
Location: One step ahead!

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Knightmare »

I only have my laptop right now so I'll try to visualize for now.

The problem isn't a placeable, it's a tile. More specifically, a single tile which is simply called "abyss". The tile can be changed into many shapes, but it causes some issues when it has a specific appearance (problem is that you cannot avoid this appearance as it is a "connector" between abyss (semi-exterior) and mine/cave (interior).

It's the model shape which allows you to go from the mine/cave tile models to the walkable ledge (abyss) tile. There is no issue with crossing from cave to ledge. The issues is when you have to walk from this tile onto the first connecting "ledge tile", the one adjacent to this tile.
When you light a candle, you cast a shadow too ~ Artemis
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius
Knightmare
Retired Staff
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am
Location: One step ahead!

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Knightmare »

After much trial and error, I've discovered that the tiles only mess up in a certain part of the area. The more I tried to change it around and the more times I baked the area, the more messed up the walkmesh became.

Guess I will have to skip the walkable ledges in that part of the area though it hurts the overall layout a bit :(
When you light a candle, you cast a shadow too ~ Artemis
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius
User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Duster47 »

Knightmare wrote:After much trial and error, I've discovered that the tiles only mess up in a certain part of the area. The more I tried to change it around and the more times I baked the area, the more messed up the walkmesh became.

Guess I will have to skip the walkable ledges in that part of the area though it hurts the overall layout a bit :(
Are there any placeables or walkmesh cutters on the problem tiles? Obstructions can cause the whole tile to become unwalkable.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
Knightmare
Retired Staff
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am
Location: One step ahead!

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Knightmare »

Nope, nothing - the area is completely bare. I usually lay down the entire area and bake it to make sure all the workmesh works before I starting with the other stuff.
When you light a candle, you cast a shadow too ~ Artemis
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Try this forum thread, there might be something useful to help here:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Neverwi ... 352-1.html
With your area open in the toolset, turn on both the "Surface Mesh" and the "Baked" buttons along the top, that will show you the walkmesh as the game sees it. Does your tile's mesh look correct?
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
Knightmare
Retired Staff
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am
Location: One step ahead!

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Knightmare »

Yes, that's what I've been doing. I can tell in the toolset that the tiles don't connect properly in a specific area of the map.

I gave up trying and I've made some changes - removed the walkable ledge in the problematic area - and now it works as intended.
When you light a candle, you cast a shadow too ~ Artemis
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius
Blunkanthrust
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Blunkanthrust »

Ah okay well I'll keep an eye out for you just in case I come across a solution, I had a good go through google and a few forums but couldn't find anything yet. Out of interest is the area flat?
"…when you have stared long into the eyes of the Tarrasque and lived to tell the tale, I shall call you a warrior…"

- Randir, I, Worriers & Warriors. In: Codex Arcana.
User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Duster47 »

Did you try to lay a Walkmesh Helper placeable across the problem area(s)? There are both flat and inclinded plane versions. They can be very useful to correct problem seams between tiles.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
Knightmare
Retired Staff
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am
Location: One step ahead!

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Knightmare »

I read up on the the tileset on RWS' webpage. Seems that deep mines and deep casm can act wonky when used together, and I use them both + regular caves.

I wonder whether that's the reason for the strange baking behaviour.

I didn't try with the walkmesh helpers. They can be quite hard to get to work as well and they often appear as red in game. They were the very last way out but I just changed around the area instead.
When you light a candle, you cast a shadow too ~ Artemis
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven ~ Xanthor
Your enemy's enemy is your friend ~ Tiberius
IAmDeathComeForThee
Retired Staff
Posts: 1408
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by IAmDeathComeForThee »

I'll import the tile into 3ds and see of I can fix it. For tiles to properly bake together their vertices need to line up exactly to one another. My guess is this isn't happening and they may be slightly off from one another. It'd help too if you let me know which tiles you are trying to line it up to where it's not working.

Also which appearance for that tile is the one doing this as I'd need to import that specific file.
"good is never as good as it's supposed to be. Although evil is often every bit as bad." -Richard Lee Byers.
User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Duster47 »

I experienced a similar issue in the Kraak Helzak area when joining the Mines and Deep Mines tiles. The walkmesh aligned were a door would be, but the Deep Mines would produce a white-line block from the edge of where the door would be back to the corner. Overlaying a walkmesh helper adjusted to be 0.01 height usually fixed the issue.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
Eden
Recognized Donor
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: Look behind

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Eden »

Is there a way to avoid the red glowing once used the walkmesh helper? I would like to avoid to delete the helper after baking, I would like to have it there, but unseen. Thoughts?
Remember them all it's just a game.
Eden
Recognized Donor
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: Look behind

Re: Problem with deep mine tileset.

Unread post by Eden »

Alright, I understood that IAmDeath didn't meant 0.1 as item shape but as position.
So placing the WH at 0.1 works, the WH becomes invisible and the area can still be baked correctly.
Remember them all it's just a game.

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”