Robes

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

TalonofWindspeak
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:07 pm

Robes

Unread post by TalonofWindspeak »

So all I wanted to do is take the basic Red Wizard Robe in the Toolset and change it from red to all black in color.

It seems this is a cloth base armor item and will not accept color change like other basic armor armor. When you go to Armor Set and make it all black nothing happens it stays Red, even though you have specified all black.

Now if you go down the various pieces and set them from 0 to another number you can turn parts of the robe to say a shoulder pad and it is black but as soon as you turn back to 0 its red.

I assume then you have to create from scratch a new black model of the classic "Red Wizard Robe"?
I would rather be free to hate... than a prisoner of love...

Sly- House Khaliizin (non-noble)
Inthuusol - young phaern, Sly's oldest son...
Mili Zirah - adventurer, axe for hire, Clan Shieldbreaker, Trademaster - Seventh Circle
Snapha Khaliizin - in training for house duties...
DM Mouse
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Robes

Unread post by DM Mouse »

There's a few textures involved with any clothing item, though I'm not immediately familiar with what's involved with the ones you're mentioning.

Some clothing items can be tinted but they don't really fully change colors, they just take on the hue. This could be altered by somebody with the knowledge to allow a clothing item to be fully changed... there's a hooded female robe I believe around the area of appearance changer number 43 or 47? Anyway, it's mostly orange with a blue apron on the back. That's a good example.

When you tint that item it retains the cloth color and blue apron. This is because the actual tint map is very weak, the strength on it is low, and the base texture includes its own permanent colors. If someone took the tint map and increased the strength it would allow the whole robe to be colored and tinted however somebody likes.

If the texture was changed to greyscale that would also help with coloring better, this way the texture has no colors that bleed through. This would be the case with a lot of robes, the tint map could be updated to allow full user control of the colors after the texture was switched to greyscale and then we'd have full color control in the toolset. :)
DM Mouse
Please be sure you are up to date with Server Rules & Information (updated Aug. 25th, 2014), these also apply to the forums!
Of particular interest are the Forum Rules which everyone posting here must know.
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Robes

Unread post by Hoihe »

There are two Red Wizard robes, Talon. One that can be recoloured, and one that can't.

Look for a second model. I think it has its own "type".
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Robes

Unread post by Duster47 »

Hoihe wrote:There are two Red Wizard robes, Talon. One that can be recoloured, and one that can't.

Look for a second model. I think it has its own "type".
This. Maybe #30 cloth in the toolset? But, to be honest, it is better to submit a request for this or that and allow the experts to create it and import it. There is more to item appearance than applying colors and armor bits (i.e. shoulder pads).

As for coloring, DM Mouse is spot-on. A few custom things I created I intentionally greyscaled them so more color ranges are possible. Unfortunately, creating such is an enormously tedious process on a per-item basis.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Robes

Unread post by Hoihe »

Load up Jeg's testing module

There, make an armour,

There choose GodBeastX

I can make a full black suit easily.

Image


If you want, I can put together a proper set of clothing. This shade of black destroys the texture though. I'll try to find a proper shade. This is merely to exemplify the extreme recolouring possible.


This shade seems to work by the way. The texture is visible on this one.

Image


P.s: Ignore the clutter on the right side of the screen.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
TalonofWindspeak
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Robes

Unread post by TalonofWindspeak »

Great, I must have chose the one that can't be colored but the second black model with the textures can you get it in-game? Thanks a bunch... Now for a yellow hat.. actually more bright yellow clothing is a must for my gnome... 8-)
I would rather be free to hate... than a prisoner of love...

Sly- House Khaliizin (non-noble)
Inthuusol - young phaern, Sly's oldest son...
Mili Zirah - adventurer, axe for hire, Clan Shieldbreaker, Trademaster - Seventh Circle
Snapha Khaliizin - in training for house duties...
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Robes

Unread post by Hoihe »

You don't want anything special about the robes? Shoulder guards, belts, bandoliers, scabbars?
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Azmodeth
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:12 am
Location: Montreal

Re: Robes

Unread post by Azmodeth »

the diffuse on the red wizard maps is colored, the red you see on the robes is on the diffuse last I checked, if I recall properly.

but I DON'T have the files that are on the server at the moment, so I can't check...

I admit the red wizard robes always looked the nicest.. would be nice to make some blue and white and black versions..

I think there is a lookalike white version, in the apptchanger, that has proper tint mapping, that can make a good black robe..
Azmodeth - Retired Frostmage, Abandoned all she had and left without warning.

http://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... g&start=30
User avatar
Hoihe
Posts: 4719
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Robes

Unread post by Hoihe »

Azmodeth, there is a blue, a white and purple red wizard robe last I remember. And the one I showed has the tintmapping for them. Merely going at it with pure black makes the texture impossible to see.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Hope
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:55 am

Re: Robes

Unread post by Hope »

Hoihe wrote:Azmodeth, there is a blue, a white and purple red wizard robe last I remember. And the one I showed has the tintmapping for them. Merely going at it with pure black makes the texture impossible to see.
Green as well. I know because Aia constantly changes the colors of her robes and she wears that style.
Catherine Chant - Healer of Ilmater - Returned from her pilgrimage.
Alex Adriale - Paladin of Torm. Who knows where she is.
Lilia deVelose - Merchant from Amn - Cold for all eternity.
Aia Nar'Thil - Frozen Dharashan - At peace in the Misty Forest
Grey - Gone off on her own adventure
TalonofWindspeak
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Robes

Unread post by TalonofWindspeak »

Nothing special on those robes, just robes - black as night.
I would rather be free to hate... than a prisoner of love...

Sly- House Khaliizin (non-noble)
Inthuusol - young phaern, Sly's oldest son...
Mili Zirah - adventurer, axe for hire, Clan Shieldbreaker, Trademaster - Seventh Circle
Snapha Khaliizin - in training for house duties...
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Robes

Unread post by Luna »

This was supposed to be in the last update.
But it's not.
I will push out an update maybe tomorrow or this weekend to get it IG.
Azmodeth
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:12 am
Location: Montreal

Re: Robes

Unread post by Azmodeth »

Luna wrote:This was supposed to be in the last update.
But it's not.
I will push out an update maybe tomorrow or this weekend to get it IG.

nice, maybe we'll see some of the stuff I've made too, if theres items being update, if they can go in the same update
Azmodeth - Retired Frostmage, Abandoned all she had and left without warning.

http://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... g&start=30
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Robes

Unread post by Luna »

These should be in game now.
User avatar
Blame The Rogue
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am

Re: Robes

Unread post by Blame The Rogue »

they are luna. ty :)
"Before you die, you should know why you lived."

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”