Made the FAI Temple

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

Eclypticon
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: USA

Made the FAI Temple

Unread post by Eclypticon »

So, basically, I am working on the Temple of Garl Glittergold if it is not being worked on. We will see how this turns out.
Last edited by Eclypticon on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eclypticon
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by Eclypticon »

Alright, this is some of what I have in mind. The temple will be 8 tiles, not big at all. There will be floating gems, gold glammer, and theater props. Any other suggestions? I will have this done after Xmas is over since I will not have access to my PC in the next few days. I have already made several models, but I would like to get more in with the proper lore.

Additionally, I cannot do the scripted conversations that the priest will need to raise dead, heal and restore.

Here is a link Chambordini gave me: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Temple_of_Wisdom

(extra note: I am doing the interior as I do not have the full FAI mod in all its glory)

*edit for new link*

Here is the original from BG:

Image
User avatar
Maecius
Retired Admin
Posts: 11639
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by Maecius »

I think it would be great to have a temple available to players at the FAI. I know it's a popular "home location" for a lot of people.

Good luck, Eclypticon!
User avatar
Rasael
Retired Staff
Posts: 8096
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Leiden, Netherlands

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by Rasael »

Good idea :mrgreen:
User avatar
LISA100595
Retired Staff
Posts: 5202
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by LISA100595 »

I thought someone already made this temple, it was just never finished?
Lady Elvina Aira-S'efarro - The Order of the Silver Rose
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander
Eclypticon
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by Eclypticon »

User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by Duster47 »

Eclypticon wrote:Alright, this is some of what I have in mind. The temple will be 8 tiles, not big at all. There will be floating gems, gold glammer, and theater props. Any other suggestions? I will have this done after Xmas is over since I will not have access to my PC in the next few days. I have already made several models, but I would like to get more in with the proper lore.
Read this to not repeat common mistakes. This area should be 1x3 to fit the exterior base-level. It would be easiest though to just create the Carl GG NPC and put him outside the door. Yeah, real kill-joy I am. But need to be practical too. :geek:

BTW, I can do dialogs. :)
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
Eclypticon
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by Eclypticon »

Duster47 wrote:. . . This area should be 1x3 to fit the exterior base-level. It would be easiest though to just create the Carl GG NPC and put him outside the door. Yeah, real kill-joy I am. But need to be practical too. :geek:

BTW, I can do dialogs. :)
Before I saw this thread, I was thinking about cutting it down to six tiles. Three tiles will cause problems no doubt. I will have to scale down the placables to the point that the NPCs could look big. There are actually two of them, right? The room will be crowded, and the placeables would need to be set to walkable, right? I mean if we are going for a semi replica of BG. I'm not sure if it is practical to even try with three tiles. Maybe script in Greater Reduce Person as an area trigger? :lol:
tfunke
Retired Staff
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm
Location: Australia- GMT+10

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by tfunke »

Duster47 wrote:This area should be 1x3 to fit the exterior base-level.
Duster is right, I just double checked it. I thought the temple exterior building was larger, but it actually only encompasses 3 interior tiles.
Per aspera ad astra
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by Luna »

Eclypticon wrote:
Duster47 wrote:Before I saw this thread, I was thinking about cutting it down to six tiles. Three tiles will cause problems no doubt. I will have to scale down the placables to the point that the NPCs could look big. There are actually two of them, right? The room will be crowded, and the placeables would need to be set to walkable, right? I mean if we are going for a semi replica of BG. I'm not sure if it is practical to even try with three tiles. Maybe script in Greater Reduce Person as an area trigger? :lol:
Do it how you feel it works best.
If 1x3 doesn't work, then go with a bigger size.
We have no standing rule that says your interior must be the spot eye size of the exterior building.

It should at the same time make some sense so use your best judgement.
Aeb Ankor
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:13 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by Aeb Ankor »

What if the upper building is just an anteroom entry way, then the temple is in the basement can be as big as you like, it doesn't have to match the outside dimensions as a cellar space.
"It is a good bet that I like your character, more than I like you... keep it IC and close to lore and we might stay friends."

"I hate snowflakes and butterflies, die die die!'


#OrcLivesMatter
Eclypticon
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by Eclypticon »

I will still try to do it within the set parameters. I will try my best. Additionally, I will try to make more than one for comparison. I will do this when I get back from X-mas. You guys can decide what is best.
User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by Duster47 »

My suggestions:

Use castle tile set. Use a "hallway - 2 door" for the middle. One door will be the main entrance/exit (facing West/right?). The other door can be used for future expansion to a basement or second floor. Flank the center tile with 2-each "doorway hall end" tile (U-shape). The Castle tiles have columns built-in similar to your 2nd post image. The end tiles have the alcoves too. Change wall, floor and ceiling textures to "castle*02" for a more ornate appearance (change on right-side, "Tile Properties" tab, under "Appearance"). Change the tile colors to the gold tones in the OP. Add some 2/3-scale (whatever is "gnome" size) placeables for your temple to a gnome god. Do not worry about sizing for the other races. This is a gnome temple.

You should not have any trouble including the essential elements of a temple in this size area. Several temples in BG are 1x2 tiles and serve their purpose quite nicely.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
Eclypticon
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by Eclypticon »

I ran into a problem that is still unresolved. I cannot figure out how to apply the changes I made to the tiles (color changes and new texture). I have also had AFK problems. I just got back here after not having Internet for a long time. The plummer severed my line and it took too much time to fix, while I was out of town to boot. I plan on posting at the social bioware site since I have yet to get an answer. This should have been extremely easy to do, and I could have finished it already. I just am not accustom to making changes to tiles when building an area.
Eclypticon
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Attempting to Make the FAI Temple

Unread post by Eclypticon »

I was able to figure out the problem, and I will be working on the temple tomorrow. I will post results then.

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”