Issues with building an interior area

Information and Discussion Relating to NWN2 Area Design

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

kellendril
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 am

Issues with building an interior area

Unread post by kellendril »

Hey all, I've been tinkering in the toolset for a few days now, and have a LOT of experience building in NWN1, but no real time spent on NWN2. I get the basic concepts now, I think, except for one issue: In the area I made (an interior with multiple rooms), there are a few places I cannot walk through. My character walks up to them and they look right, but I can't walk across them. There isn't anything obvious in the way, and I've spent an hour trying to figure out why this might be happening, but I can't figure it out. I even redid the tiles in the two areas I know of that are having this issue, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

What might be happening?
Eowiel Le'liana - Formerly Respected Councilor/Citizen of Doron Amar, now Disrespected Free Agent
Merry Angalagaleil - Strongheart Halfling Sacred Fist
User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Issues with building an interior area

Unread post by Duster47 »

First, did you "bake" the area? This sets the walkmesh for walkable and not. If yes, then ...

If a tile has too many obstructions then the walkmesh will blank-out the tile since it is too complicated to map. In the Toolset, turn on "Surface Mesh" and "Baked". Do the problem tiles appear with a white-line boarder but no green-line triangles criscrossing the tile? Green-line triangle areas are walkable. Grey or blank are not. If this is true, then decrease the number of placeables and intricacy of the walkmesh cutters on the tile. Rebake. Repeat until you get green-line triangles on the floor/ground.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
kellendril
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 am

Re: Issues with building an interior area

Unread post by kellendril »

I wondered if it were obstruction based..yeah, that makes sense. Thanks. I will see if that is the issue.
Eowiel Le'liana - Formerly Respected Councilor/Citizen of Doron Amar, now Disrespected Free Agent
Merry Angalagaleil - Strongheart Halfling Sacred Fist
kellendril
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 am

Re: Issues with building an interior area

Unread post by kellendril »

That fixed it. Thanks Duster.
Eowiel Le'liana - Formerly Respected Councilor/Citizen of Doron Amar, now Disrespected Free Agent
Merry Angalagaleil - Strongheart Halfling Sacred Fist

Return to “NWN2 Area Design”