How did I die here?

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

Kronides
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:06 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

How did I die here?

Unread post by Kronides »

http://zeuskronides.tumblr.com/post/726 ... -did-i-die

Ok I have some concerns over what happened here. As you can see I entered combat with a Wyvern at full health with a small amount of Greater stoneskin left. Even so I died after receiving just 53 points of damage on a character with 105 HP.

When I was sent to the Fugue instead of being healed the usual 105 I was only healed 29 HP.

What happened here? I cannot work out how I actually died. Is this a bug? What causes it?
Mikal Damask - your mate from Westgate.
Darius Mane of the Triel Manes - Paladin of Torm
Aristides Te'Tnesfer
User avatar
Passiflora
Posts: 2230
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: In the land of dreams which never happens.

Re: How did I die here?

Unread post by Passiflora »

You died due to poison.

The wyverns attack with poison, which brings your constitution very low (even near zero).

You probably were poisoned in the attack, and when it dealt 53 points of damage, you had only 29 hp. So you died.

:(
Go home and be a familly cat!
Considerate_
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 am

Re: How did I die here?

Unread post by Considerate_ »

Wyvern poisons secondary effect is death from what I've been told (haven't tested it myself though). Whether your HP is 10 or 10.000 you will die if you fail the second save.

I'm fairly certain this is brought up in one of the NPC dialogues as well, saying that it's rumoured a wyverns poison can kill in 60 sec.

Ways to avoid it:
- Potions of Neutralize poison
- Use a healkit to beat the DC of 20 and you'll neutralize the poison
- Have Deathward activated
- Have a high fortitude and the feat Steadfast Determination or it's epic counterpart, allowing you to beat the poison DC even on a 1.


There might be other ways as well, but those are the ones I can think of
Tamara - "I've seen colours you would never dream of"
Neschera - "Logic can bring you from one step to the next, creativity can bring you from anywhere to everywhere"
User avatar
flipside43
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:24 am

Re: How did I die here?

Unread post by flipside43 »

You rolled a one on a fort save vs poison, likely the con damage as mentioned above.
Luke Darius - Clansman of House Darius, Noble of Baldur's Gate
Ivan38Rus
Retired Staff
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: How did I die here?

Unread post by Ivan38Rus »

Considerate_ wrote:Wyvern poisons secondary effect is death from what I've been told (haven't tested it myself though). Whether your HP is 10 or 10.000 you will die if you fail the second save.
Not true, it is the further Constitution damage. Can't remember certain numbers but judging how default poisons in NWN2 were designed, I'd say the dice is higher than the initial one.
kellendril
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 am

Re: How did I die here?

Unread post by kellendril »

I died the same way there once. I lost all my CON and *poof*
Eowiel Le'liana - Formerly Respected Councilor/Citizen of Doron Amar, now Disrespected Free Agent
Merry Angalagaleil - Strongheart Halfling Sacred Fist

Return to “Questions for DMs”