Making Lava + Other Qs

Information and Discussion Relating to NWN2 Area Design

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

Tsidkenu

Making Lava + Other Qs

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Hi Builders!

I've just started playing around with the toolset as a part of RP -- my dwarven engineer is designing a home beside a lava lake (or else an empty caldera to be filled later with lava!)

I'm a complete newbie with the toolset but I've managed to craft up a volcano caldera which I filled with water, and I then changed the colour and viscosity of it to something like lava.
Hidden: show
Image
I have a few questions/difficulties though.


1. Textures -- Simple question: once painted can unwanted textures be removed?! I can't find a way to delete them from a tile.

2. Placeable redesign -- I want to build a tower/house (wizard tower 2 placeable) with some little add-ons (eg. aqueduct) and I'm just wondering if there's a simple way to remake or edit the design of placeables within the toolset itself (sorta like how you can redesign weapons and armour etc).
User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Making Lava + Other Qs

Unread post by Duster47 »

First, welcome to the dark side. :geek:

1. You can remove an unwanted texture by changing it to a wanted version. Say you have grass 1 and grass 2 in an area. But now you want only grass 1. Click on the ground to select a terrain area. It should show a yellow box around the terrain tile (4 squares if you have both grids on). Scroll down in the textures list in the lower-right corner. There will be six boxes and the first two will be filled-in with grass 1 and grass 2. Select grass 2. Now scroll up to the long texture list. Find grass 1 (or any other texture) and select it. It should replace all instances of grass 2 with grass 1 within the tile. Select next tile and move on.

Note, you can only have 6 texture types within a tile. The above procedure is very useful to remove a small instance of one texture for another texture.

There is a "replace texture" option at the top of the texture list. Using this crashes my Toolset most of the time.

2. Unfortunately not. Placeables use unique model files and skins. They must be created or cloned and edited in the 3-d modeling program. Then the new placeable will need a line for it added to the placeables.2da file (an index file). Try to be creative with re-purposing existing placeables to form new elements on structures.

Last, if Toolsetting is new to you, then I recommend you turn off the "autosave" function and save your work as an index, not a module. An index is a file folder and far more stable than a module (.mod).
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
Tsidkenu

Re: Making Lava + Other Qs

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Thanks for the advice Duster. I already turned off autosave but I don't know anything about 'saving as index file'. I'll have a look into that the next time I work at my project.
Vekin
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Making Lava + Other Qs

Unread post by Vekin »

Tsidkenu wrote:Thanks for the advice Duster. I already turned off autosave but I don't know anything about 'saving as index file'. I'll have a look into that the next time I work at my project.

Choose "save as Directory" from the file menu.

Return to “NWN2 Area Design”