Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Information and Discussion Relating to NWN2 Area Design

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

Yawgnor
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Coatesville, PA

Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by Yawgnor »

I'm creating a cavern using an exterior area. How do I set the lighting to always dark? Or night?
Jorn (the Hideous) Odgerson
User avatar
Moridin
Retired Staff
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 pm
Location: SK, Canada

Re: Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by Moridin »

1. Go to Area Properties
2. Go to Environment
3. Uncheck directional light(keep this checked while building as it can get hard to see). You can also uncheck the day/night cycle(I think) if you wish.
4. Now, to edit the ceiling and the surroundings you would go to appearance and extend the day/night cycle menu. There are 8 parts to the Day/night cycle. All the editing you need for ambient surroundings is in there.
Characters:
Lomith Dy'nesen Journal
7threalm
Retired Staff
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:44 am

Re: Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by 7threalm »

and if you can figure out a way to get rid of stars let me know lol
Duragin Balderden(Battle Rager of Kraak Helzak)

Rlyd (Drow Wizard)- Fearn School of Enchantment and Charm
Yawgnor
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Coatesville, PA

Re: Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by Yawgnor »

7threalm wrote:and if you can figure out a way to get rid of stars let me know lol
This seems to work for the stars, at least it did for me (that's if it's not just a fluke and I got rid of them on accident :/ )...
Rasael wrote:I recall that you have to unpress the 'sky' button when the area is open and save it like that. If memory serves that button is actually a toggle for the area, not just a toolset setting.
Moridin, your directions did work for the light level, except that it also makes the water I happen to have in the same area invisible. Need directional light to see water, it seems, unless I'm missing something.

Is there no way to get rid of the day/night cycle, and have it permanently night?
Jorn (the Hideous) Odgerson
7threalm
Retired Staff
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:44 am

Re: Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by 7threalm »

just change all the files to whatever night level you want, day = night, noon= night, etc.

stars come out at midnight i think, or someother timestamp
Duragin Balderden(Battle Rager of Kraak Helzak)

Rlyd (Drow Wizard)- Fearn School of Enchantment and Charm
Yawgnor
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Coatesville, PA

Re: Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by Yawgnor »

7threalm wrote:just change all the files to whatever night level you want, day = night, noon= night, etc.
I'm not trying to be dense, but I'm not seeing where these settings are. This is what I have (one with sunrise open, and one with nighttime), what exactly do you adjust, and exactly what do you change it to? Please, explain it to me as though you think I'm an idiot, because I'm starting to feel like one.

Image

Image
Jorn (the Hideous) Odgerson
User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by Duster47 »

You would think un-clicking Day/Night Cycle (false) and clicking Is Always Night (true) would do it. But it did not work for me. Go figure... :?

Otherwise, I believe you will need to do what 7threalm said; change all 8 stages to the same thing then adjust the different color options (e.g. SkyHorizon, SkyZenith, etc.) to all be the same. I never tried this myself so I am uncertain it would work. The only UD areas I ever looked at TS-side were cave tiles.

How about another approach? Use cave tiles, or other appropriate tiles but with the ceiling turned off? Then the area around the edges will be pitch black. Break up the silhouette with boulders and other placeables set to EOs.
Last edited by Duster47 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
User avatar
LISA100595
Retired Staff
Posts: 5202
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by LISA100595 »

Or just copy and paste all the "night" values of #4 to the "Default" one #7. Then keep day / night cycle false and always night true.
Lady Elvina Aira-S'efarro - The Order of the Silver Rose
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander
7threalm
Retired Staff
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:44 am

Re: Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by 7threalm »

now i remember the only way to block out the stars is to raise the exterior tiles around the edges of the map so that they cannot be looked over. That is how sshmath is designed. I attempted it once on a bigger map but it is hard to do,
Duragin Balderden(Battle Rager of Kraak Helzak)

Rlyd (Drow Wizard)- Fearn School of Enchantment and Charm
Yawgnor
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Coatesville, PA

Re: Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by Yawgnor »

\o/ Hotdamn!

Your idea, Lisa, was the ticket. It worked perfectly. As for the skydome, I used fx_skydome_cave that I found somewhere forgotten a while ago. I must have had this project in mind back then; it's just a blank black sky.

If you're curious, here's the Cavern, plus the needed haks.
Jorn (the Hideous) Odgerson
User avatar
LISA100595
Retired Staff
Posts: 5202
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by LISA100595 »

Glad I could help :D
Lady Elvina Aira-S'efarro - The Order of the Silver Rose
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander
User avatar
Moridin
Retired Staff
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 pm
Location: SK, Canada

Re: Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by Moridin »

Yawgnor wrote:Moridin, your directions did work for the light level, except that it also makes the water I happen to have in the same area invisible. Need directional light to see water, it seems, unless I'm missing something.

Is there no way to get rid of the day/night cycle, and have it permanently night?
Oh, didn't think about water, ya, my way wouldn't work with water as it requires directional light. :(
Characters:
Lomith Dy'nesen Journal
User avatar
LISA100595
Retired Staff
Posts: 5202
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by LISA100595 »

You can leave directional light on with difusing the colors or I think a placeable light will suffice over the water .. same diffuse the colors... experiment.
Lady Elvina Aira-S'efarro - The Order of the Silver Rose
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander
Yawgnor
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:21 pm
Location: Coatesville, PA

Re: Always Night/Dark in an Exterior Area

Unread post by Yawgnor »

It all worked, even the water.
Jorn (the Hideous) Odgerson

Return to “NWN2 Area Design”