Mystra's Star Symbol

Have a question to the staff? Post it here.

Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM

User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Mystra's Star Symbol

Unread post by Duster47 »

A while ago, we changed IG icons from using the post-TOT Mystra (Midnight) icon of the river and seven little stars to the Mystra 8-pointed star. I recall reading now and then of a seven-pointed star being the icon for Mystra. Perhaps this is a tribute to the Seven Sisters?

Anyway, which is correct, a seven or eight pointed star?
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
User avatar
DM Golem
Posts: 8842
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Re: Mystra's Star Symbol

Unread post by DM Golem »

I cannot find references to a seven pointed star. That does not mean it does not exist.

The eight pointed star though, is correct.
User avatar
Moridin
Retired Staff
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 pm
Location: SK, Canada

Re: Mystra's Star Symbol

Unread post by Moridin »

The 8 star symbol is for the real Mystra. The Mystra ingame died with Helm punching his fist through her chest. Helm was granted guard over the heavens by Ao and kept his divinity while the rest were thrown down to the Prime Material Plane. Mystra tried to get back up and was denied entry by Helm. Mystra lost herself to rage and flung every spell she knew at Helm but Helm absorbed it all since he was still divine. Helm punched his fist through the body Mystra inhabited and destroyed Mystra in a large explosion that destroyed a castle and turned everything for half a mile around into ruins and ash.

The seven star symbol is for Midnight, who was the last chosen of Mystra. At the start of the ToT, Midnight was granted some of Mystra's divinity. When Mystra died, her divinity went to Midnight who assumed her role and was mostly absorbed by Mystra.
Characters:
Lomith Dy'nesen Journal
Tsidkenu

Re: Mystra's Star Symbol

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

If I can chime in on this (although I am not a DM): I do make frequent (and erroneous it seems) reference to a seven-pointed star of Mystra on every wand I sell in game. I was merely confused between my own Australian seven-pointed Federation Star (as per the Australian flag) and Mystra's 8 pointed star.

I will endeavour to reference Mystra's 8 pointed star from now on! :oops:

Return to “Questions for DMs”