Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Asset Information and Discussion for Scripting, Area Design, and More

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM

Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by Matherhorn »

I have been on and off graphics design for 18 years. after a few years off I'm starting back again with the toolset and I thoroughly enjoy it. here are some screens that I hope will show some talent, but I know the more I get into it the better. these screens are from my design of a desolate swamp town
https://goo.gl/photos/ky63SKfuMp1gcBiVA
https://goo.gl/photos/xPmjsAHwr3Ag9rPKA
https://goo.gl/photos/W9dwXXVsXv7WH1t9A
https://goo.gl/photos/GwQQTpTCv85ZFeyj9
https://goo.gl/photos/BXNn6tGsFwsykNPz6
joleda
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 1:20 pm

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by joleda »

Very nice. Knowing what you know now, what area building tutorials would you use if you were a novice?
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by Matherhorn »

I would read first the manual.. to know how to navigate, to know how to view with out distance fog. to place objects and rotate or raise and lower. to pain water and at what level. to texture objects but to do so with few textures. and the landscape tool, and probebly others

Manual
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by Matherhorn »

Here is a pic of the latest version, Ill probebly continue on it but I think its presentable

https://goo.gl/photos/Zvya1wv99dv5XzXm7
User avatar
Nachti
Retired Staff
Posts: 1221
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:57 am

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by Nachti »

The underdark wilds map (big cavesystem with driders, beholders and devils, CR~20) could use an overhaul. Just a suggestion.
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by Matherhorn »

I would design it, but I'm applying to work on the team, so I really cant do anything yet. Just make a demo
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by Matherhorn »

I guess the dev team doesnt like my art work
User avatar
NCrawler
Recognized Donor
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:05 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by NCrawler »

I have noticed that sometimes those in 'power' do not respond in a timely fashion and it's a shame. You might have better luck sending a PM to a staff member. Repeat every few days until you get a response.
Taran Seven - Divine Champion of Garagos
Lauren Seven - Swordmaiden looking for a new home (guild)
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by Matherhorn »

Sounds advice thank you
User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by Duster47 »

The best way to get the attention of the Build Staff is to submit module examples for examination. There is far more to see via the Toolset than a screen shot (e.g. PLC vs EOs, walkpath/walkmesh issues, unique tags where appropriate, lighting, etc.). It never hurts to ask the DM-Team to ask the Build Staff to look at whatever.

I did look at your screen shots. More area stuff. Very nice.

Though what we really need are persons who are proficient beyond making pretty landscapes. Why? Because have a bunch of area files sitting in the In-Progress queue that are 70-85% complete. But they lack spawns, interesting NPCs and their conversations, sound and lighting is hit-or-miss, and similar tedious but necessary tasks required to complete an area. Few venture into this deep end of the Toolset pool. Can you?
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by Matherhorn »

Ill try
User avatar
gedweyignasia
Custom Content
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:27 pm
Location: EST/UTC-4

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

Is there a table of monster stats for BGTSCC that are appropriate for whatever level PCs? Balancing it all sounds like the hardest part of doing encounters. (Also, do you guys use a special spawning system? Alright if I make a regular spawn and then switch it over to your scripts after approval if I submit something?)
User avatar
Duster47
Retired Staff
Posts: 3727
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by Duster47 »

I see 1995 existing unique BG-specific creature templates (*.utc files). We really do not need more of those either. It is best to begin with the native creatures in the NWN2 Toolset. Reference MM V3.5 if you want to expand on an existing template.

+++ edit +++

Another thing about areas is they must be thematically appropriate and based on FR lore. The area should fill a gap or logically expand an existing area. Interior tiles require far less resources to run than a similar size exterior.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
User avatar
DM Golem
Posts: 8842
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by DM Golem »

NCrawler wrote:I have noticed that sometimes those in 'power' do not respond in a timely fashion and it's a shame. You might have better luck sending a PM to a staff member. Repeat every few days until you get a response.
I can only echo this. With the number of forums senior staff have to review, often a simple post will fall through the gaps, particularly given the volunteer nature of our work.

I would only say its best to send PMs to the whole DM Group, and also the ADM Group if suitable. Or just HDMs if its something sensitive.

And for build stuff, send to the Dev team
Matherhorn
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Want to design maps for BGTSCC1

Unread post by Matherhorn »

That map was kinda a quick do.. about 30 min.. I guess I can use forgotten realms maps and base my designs on them. but its almost like, if they want help with dev's then they should pay attention, unless of course real life and game mastering is all they can handle..

Return to “NWN2 Toolset Development”