Too late to edit my bio?
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
BlueAce417
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:58 pm
- Location: Pff, idk. Some sorta room, maybe?
Too late to edit my bio?
I was reading some other people's Bio's and I thought my own Bio for Trace could use some reworking. Of course, I'm also unsure if I have even posted it. I would have posted it under the title "Trace: The Shadow Embraced" or something along those lines.
Caedis Littlefoot - The Scaled Seeker
Felgur Brighteyes - The Planar Seer
Marvin Brandywicket - The Crackpot Alchemist
Felgur Brighteyes - The Planar Seer
Marvin Brandywicket - The Crackpot Alchemist
-
Duster47
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
- Location: Florida, USA
Re: Too late to edit my bio?
There is a great IG "biography" tool. It is one of the DMFI buttons (quill/scroll?), probably at the top of your screen. You can write and save three different text groups that will be displayed if anyone Examines your PC. This overwrites whatever you wrote during character creation.
Note, "biography" is really a poor-choice label. The tool is best used in our RP-encouraging environment for further explaining your PC's physical appearance, accent, clothing, etc. evident to the casual observer. Some are quite elaborate.
Note, "biography" is really a poor-choice label. The tool is best used in our RP-encouraging environment for further explaining your PC's physical appearance, accent, clothing, etc. evident to the casual observer. Some are quite elaborate.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
-
BlueAce417
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:58 pm
- Location: Pff, idk. Some sorta room, maybe?
Re: Too late to edit my bio?
Really my question is: "Once a bio is written for a character, can it be changed?"
Caedis Littlefoot - The Scaled Seeker
Felgur Brighteyes - The Planar Seer
Marvin Brandywicket - The Crackpot Alchemist
Felgur Brighteyes - The Planar Seer
Marvin Brandywicket - The Crackpot Alchemist
-
Ghost
- DM
- Posts: 7509
- Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:12 pm
Re: Too late to edit my bio?
Once your biography is approved, we do appreciate that you don't retcon or actually change things. You can flesh things out, but once we've approved something we can't let you add things that we wouldn't approve earlier for instance, if you understand my point.
-
BlueAce417
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:58 pm
- Location: Pff, idk. Some sorta room, maybe?
Re: Too late to edit my bio?
Okay, it looks like we're hung up on terminology... When I asked if i could change my bio, I meant the ones we write on the forum. In-game, I always put descriptions that define my characters' appearance.
Example:
Lucas - To your glance you see a human of some intelligence. Donning a pair of round glasses, a neatly pressed grey set of robes, and a backpack obviously fashioned with traditional wolf skin. A satchel dangles on his side with a single book exposed, [ROLL FOR LORE].
[ROLL>22]: The book looks to be scratched in some strange pattern.
[22>ROLL>28]: The book bares a marking of some language. You have the idea it might be something old, possibly ancient in language.
[28>ROLL]: The book bares the symbol of the word "Destruction" in the draconian language.
Not my word-for-word in game bio, but the same format I use across all my characters. And thank you Ghost, but I'm also unsure if the bio I wrote for Trace was approved or not. If it wasn't I would like to edit it for a great deal, If it was approved, looks like I'll have to work with what I wrote.
Example:
Lucas - To your glance you see a human of some intelligence. Donning a pair of round glasses, a neatly pressed grey set of robes, and a backpack obviously fashioned with traditional wolf skin. A satchel dangles on his side with a single book exposed, [ROLL FOR LORE].
[ROLL>22]: The book looks to be scratched in some strange pattern.
[22>ROLL>28]: The book bares a marking of some language. You have the idea it might be something old, possibly ancient in language.
[28>ROLL]: The book bares the symbol of the word "Destruction" in the draconian language.
Not my word-for-word in game bio, but the same format I use across all my characters. And thank you Ghost, but I'm also unsure if the bio I wrote for Trace was approved or not. If it wasn't I would like to edit it for a great deal, If it was approved, looks like I'll have to work with what I wrote.
Caedis Littlefoot - The Scaled Seeker
Felgur Brighteyes - The Planar Seer
Marvin Brandywicket - The Crackpot Alchemist
Felgur Brighteyes - The Planar Seer
Marvin Brandywicket - The Crackpot Alchemist
-
DM Golem
- Posts: 8842
- Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:00 pm
Re: Too late to edit my bio?
I did a search and cannot see you posted anything for your character Trace in the biography forum. So its not been approved as it does not exist!
But lets say you had posted something. Pretty much unless we have posted our approval you are free to edit.
If we have approved the biography, as Ghost says we would want to have sight of significant changes so we aren't bounced into looking like we have approved something which we did not.
In terms of telling if a biography has been approved: we sometimes will review biographies off our own back but if you want the biography reviewed its best to poke the DM team to ask them to do so. If we have approved a biography we will post saying as much - until that post is made its not approved.
Even outside the biography approval system, we would prefer that matters that have been RPed about IG remain in your character's personal "canon" so you aren't asking people to retcon their own RP ((This does not of course apply if your character is the type to tell tall tales about his history or is a born liar or some such!))
But lets say you had posted something. Pretty much unless we have posted our approval you are free to edit.
If we have approved the biography, as Ghost says we would want to have sight of significant changes so we aren't bounced into looking like we have approved something which we did not.
In terms of telling if a biography has been approved: we sometimes will review biographies off our own back but if you want the biography reviewed its best to poke the DM team to ask them to do so. If we have approved a biography we will post saying as much - until that post is made its not approved.
Even outside the biography approval system, we would prefer that matters that have been RPed about IG remain in your character's personal "canon" so you aren't asking people to retcon their own RP ((This does not of course apply if your character is the type to tell tall tales about his history or is a born liar or some such!))
-
BlueAce417
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:58 pm
- Location: Pff, idk. Some sorta room, maybe?
Re: Too late to edit my bio?
Alrighty, thank you Golem
I was planning on making Trace's bio private (Cause he's evil and worships a certain lady of the night; wouldn't want people whom read it to ooc'ly remark anything from it). I'm not sure what exactly happened to the last thing I wrote for his bio, but since it hasn't been approved, I have free range to edit and rework him (within the boundaries of rp I mean).
Would private bio's simply be PM'ed to the DM team or is there a thread I can place it in?
Would private bio's simply be PM'ed to the DM team or is there a thread I can place it in?
Caedis Littlefoot - The Scaled Seeker
Felgur Brighteyes - The Planar Seer
Marvin Brandywicket - The Crackpot Alchemist
Felgur Brighteyes - The Planar Seer
Marvin Brandywicket - The Crackpot Alchemist
-
ladyawesome
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:33 am
- Location: New Zealand
Re: Too late to edit my bio?
But Cecelia was always updating her bio so how does that work? Send it to a dm to resubmit it and get them to change it?
-
DM Golem
- Posts: 8842
- Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:00 pm
Re: Too late to edit my bio?
Yes, just PM it to the team! We have a private forum to hold private biographies.BlueAce417 wrote:Alrighty, thank you GolemI was planning on making Trace's bio private (Cause he's evil and worships a certain lady of the night; wouldn't want people whom read it to ooc'ly remark anything from it). I'm not sure what exactly happened to the last thing I wrote for his bio, but since it hasn't been approved, I have free range to edit and rework him (within the boundaries of rp I mean).
Would private bio's simply be PM'ed to the DM team or is there a thread I can place it in?
-
DM Golem
- Posts: 8842
- Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:00 pm
Re: Too late to edit my bio?
If a biography is approved and you are changing more than surface detail then its wise to touch base with the team about the changes.ladyawesome wrote:Send it to a dm to resubmit it and get them to change it?
Note that if its just "I have written more detail about my character's already mentioned father" then its not an issue, really. Its if its more like "my character suddenly found out he is the son of Helm!" then it might be
-
BlueAce417
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:58 pm
- Location: Pff, idk. Some sorta room, maybe?
Re: Too late to edit my bio?
Alrighty, thank you Golem!
I'll get right to his bio and send it out.
Caedis Littlefoot - The Scaled Seeker
Felgur Brighteyes - The Planar Seer
Marvin Brandywicket - The Crackpot Alchemist
Felgur Brighteyes - The Planar Seer
Marvin Brandywicket - The Crackpot Alchemist
-
ladyawesome
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:33 am
- Location: New Zealand
Re: Too late to edit my bio?
Oh well I totally understand that would be a bit weird, but it is a bit frustrating that you can't update the character bio as they developed. Sometime you just feel like you are annoying dms for no reason. But I do see both the sides of the coin. So thank you.
-
DM Golem
- Posts: 8842
- Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:00 pm
Re: Too late to edit my bio?
A developing character the ideal that DMs would love to see! You absolutely can update a biography but should just run anything unusual past us.ladyawesome wrote:Oh well I totally understand that would be a bit weird, but it is a bit frustrating that you can't update the character bio as they developed. Sometime you just feel like you are annoying dms for no reason. But I do see both the sides of the coin. So thank you.
Developments based on IG happenings and changing outlook is the kind of thing we wouldn't need to worry about! As it is stuff that actually happened IG. So that sort of thing can be edited in.
What we would ask is that when a biography is edited that the last date of editing the biography is marked in the first post; so that if its later than the DM approval then its easy to tell not everything has been subject to DM review and is not "approved"