Rumors & Events of Baldur's Gate

In-Character News, Laws, Announcements, Rumors, and Stories Relating to the Sword Coast

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Darradarljod

Re: Rumors & Events of Baldur's Gate

Unread post by Darradarljod »

Atop the platform of the East Gate district a pair of preachers in platemail stood, addressing the public of Baldur's Gate. They were easily recognisable as Anthem Arnemeiger - a Knight-Senior of the Order of the Radiant Heart Auxiliary - and his adventuring companion Mae yr Machshikhah of the Temple of Helm.

First, Anthem took the front. He bellowed in a voice clear and strong that echoed down the walls of the streets and alleys.

"Good men of Baldur's Gate! Anthem Arnemeiger of the Radiant Heart greets you in the name of the True Deity. Torm, who regards no man and judges between us with equity.

Torm demands little from a man but what is his duty.

There are many duties that fall to us. Beyond our family, our lords, our gods - it is this; to love what is good and to hate what is evil. This, I think, you do well.

Has not Torm commanded, "Stand ever alert against corruption"? Did he not say, "Strike quickly and forcefully against rot in the hearts of mortals"? You know that he did. It is in obedience to my god that I stand here to declare this; that there is grave corruption at work in our city-state.

Brothers, more and more frequently word spreads up and down the Coast of the presence of drow among us. You have heard no doubt how they are walking the breadth of our lands, killing and being killed. I tell you brothers, the only good drow is a dead drow - and the only thing worse than a drow are those traitors to our human race who consort with them, standing in their defence.

The generations before us knew the bloody history of men, elves and dwarves with these denizens of the Underdark. They lived it. We have entered into their struggles - we are still at war. Tolerance is treason, and as Torm commands; traitors deserve a painful and quick death. Nothing less.

What then shall we say in regards to that esteemed guest of our Dukes, the Dreadlord of Bane and of the Zhentarim, Selengil Harkonis and his jackbooted Zhentilar thugs?

Did you enjoy the gift of gold Zhentarim merchants shared among our poor - that blood money even our Dukes dared not touch themselves for conscience sake. Did it not make the Dreadlord and his soldiers seem so much more agreeable in your eyes?

You know it was a payment the Dukes required - dare I say, it seemed a bribe they demanded - to help forget a murder in the very sanctuary of Ilmater. Yes, a golden pardon that mercantile may go ahead unhindered by the inconvenience of True Justice. A compulsary gesture, dressed as great charity on behalf of the Banites - charity that we all know does not dwell in black hearts as theirs, barely beating at all. By Tyr!

But you have surely heard the rumors; that these same Zhentarim of Darkhold have opened up a tunnel to the Underdark trade hub of S'shamath. Men and drow in fellowship, coming and going, sharing their very homes. This is trecherous. This is abomination.

These are the manner of allies the Dukes welcome among us - friends of the drow, wicked slaves of Bane..."

Anthem unrolled what looked to be an unholy parchment as he spoke on, "I cannot expect you to know the dogma of the Dark Lord - especially those of you that do not know letters. But let me tell you, brothers, Bane offers not the religion of peace. The Dukes forbid them to make their beliefs known for good reason.

I would not let you be ignorant to the threat - so I must make known what The Black Hand commands of those devils we now share our city with;"

He read as followed;
"Serve no one but Bane ...
Fear him always and make others fear him even more than you do ...
The Black Hand always strikes down those who stand against it in the end ...
Defy Bane and die ...
Spread the dark fear of Bane ..."

Anthem rent the parchment in halves in righteous anger and tossed it from the pulpit in disgust. He gestured to the heavens zealously, sore with wrath and imploring the people;

"Are these your countrymen?! Are these the values Baldurans hold dear?!

For love of power and wealth, the Zhentarim would, in the name of Bane, subjugate every last one of us! They are our enemy, and every collaborator of the Zhentarim is our enemy!

For the love of money, the Zhentarim have brought the drow upon us - for same love of money, the Dukes have welcomed the Zhentarim! Waukeen be damned!

Have we been betrayed by those who are sworn to serve the people? Is the financial security of our city-state more important to the Dukes than the future and security of our people?"

Anthem paused a moment, catching his breath and calming to continue, leaning on the lecturn heavily with plated hands.

"Bane is not a religion of peace. Combined with the Zhentarim we are presented with an aggressive political ideology under the thin venier of a merchant organisation, which will do whatever they must within their wealth and might to gain more of the same. For nothing but that empty love of power, the generations to come may well be subjugated by the Dark Lord as his influence grows among us - and those innocent, our children, will curse us, the generation of sheep who welcomed a wolf, for nothing but the fleeting lure of fools gold carried to our shepherds in his mouth.

The Law of the Land should never frustrate the persecution of the wicked, nor allow the persecution of the righteous. But I tell you, brothers, it very well may come to charges of Sedition for those who speak against the Zhentarim and rebuke our Dukes as I do now. But Torm has commanded, "Question unjust laws by suggesting improvement or alternatives, not additional laws".

Here, therefore, is my improvement.
Here is my alternative;

The Dukes must repent before the Triad and the people of their evil,
the treaty must be declared void.

There must be a holy inquisition; Agents of the Zhentarim and every Banite must be righteously purged from our city-state.

The Dukes must make lawful contract with the people of Baldur's Gate never to allow the return of the Zhentarim or Banites, whether their faith is in public or private.

Further, the bounties on drow must be doubled. Every live drow prisoner brought to the Duchal territory must hang by its neck until it is dead.

Lawful bounty must also be issued against every collaborator or sympathizer of the drow. Raising a dark elf from the dead must be punishable by death. Those who fornicate with drow must be put to death. All these must be hung by their neck until they are dead as an example to all who would betray their own race in this struggle.

We are at war with both the Dark Lord and the dark elves - we always have been, we always will be, and our fight must not fail.

Men of Baldur's Gate - DO YOUR DUTY!

TOLERANCE IS TREASON!

TORM WILLS IT!"
Arn

Unread post by Arn »

Darradarljod wrote:Atop the platform of the East Gate district a pair of preachers in platemail stood, addressing the public of Baldur's Gate. They were easily recognisable as Anthem Arnemeiger - a Knight-Senior of the Order of the Radiant Heart Auxiliary - and his adventuring companion Mae yr Machshikhah of the Temple of Helm.
Once again, the paladin's public address is attended by a monk of the Old Order. The monk listens silently throughout the entire talk and then departs.
Mi-Le (彌勒) - "Meditate, monks. Do not be negligent, lest you regret it later." ((-Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.146))
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]

((Feel free to reach out to Mi-Le for forum RP!))

Wendi - Haggling crafter. [Bio]
Anatti
Meredith
burbles

Unread post by burbles »

Among locals and guests of the city there was one, whose features and manerism spoke of amnish descent, though few would recal them in exact or needed to, as she was one of the crowd, in a fine dark dress, decorated with gold and shades of blue under a dark grey cloak that made her figure even less remarkable. The woman was listening to the sermon hardly showing any emotion at all. Her dark eyes became fixed on the woman beside the knight as soon as she saw her, taking in the armored figure, watching her every move, every gesture, untill a pleased smile had touched her lips. She then took to observing crowd's reaction to sermon with mild curiousity.

"Scandals, plots and inquiries", - she breathed when drow hunting turned to politics, a saying of one of her older friends back home, which always sounded like half-irony, half-curse. The man had a lifetime of those to not desire any more...
"He preaches to the choir." - she mused jovialy to her neighbours, - "Drow are bad bussiness (risky at best). Must be Zhents he's realy after."
The contents of the parchment and reprobation of banite faith did not impress her. The culmination had raised and incredulous look at the knight, though.
Zhentil gold was more than filling holes in pockets of city's poor, it was flowing along with shiploads of cargo and land-trains, helping to fill Dukes coffers. Competing with Anm and Calimshan, and there was room for more. It was not that Zhents'd be missed, of course. It was that...
"They should have thought of it before." - she epithomized, putting the sermon out of her mind for now. She had a meeting to arrange when it's over, with someone who might not recognize her at first, or might not want to. Preposterous. The truth, she was just feeling a bit nervous about it.
(to be continued elsewhere)
I put on my robe and a wizard hat...
Xanfyrst

Unread post by Xanfyrst »

A hooded man whistles to the a guard next to him and whispers.
"Aren't you going to do anything? The Tormite is rallying the masses against the Dukes. You know, the people who pay for your salary. Besides, and I'm pretty sure sedition is against the law too." he holds his hands up "But hey, what do I know... I'm just a lowly Balduran citizen who just happens to know where his loyalties lie." the man holds his hands up and takes a few steps, expecting the guards to start reacting to the violation of duchal law.
SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK.
Alistair the Red - Roaming Bounty Hunter and Underworld Contact.
Lord Eliphas Valkarian "the Deceiver" -Chosen Prophet of Bane, Autonomous Agent of the Zhentarim. Immortal? ×Returned from the Beyond×
Marathados
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Marathados »

An half-elf is seen leaving the jail of the Flaming Fist headquarters in Baldur's Gate. He was arrested for using his new duskwood walking cane in and close to the city much do his loudly vocalized disdain
Marneiros Duskwalker - Semi-Active

Melthanir Telvathar - Inactive

Marathados Wisdomancer - Inactive
Androoh

Unread post by Androoh »

Last edited by Androoh on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired - No longer an active player
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

As Sir Anthem's address subsided, the preaching was not yet over. The raven-haired Calishi, decked out in her patrol order with Helm's symbol emblazoned central on her breastplate, continued where Sir Anthem had ceased.

"Citizens of Baldur's Gate! Lend your ears, and hear! Lift your eyes, and see! Behold, the fate that awaits those who sleep, those who are not watching, those who have not taken up their sentinel duties and choose instead to court the wicked and punish the righteous!"

She reached down behind the pulpit and lifted something from a hessian sack, brushing aside the hay it had been carried amongst. A mutilated, severed human head. It's skull had been stabbed with a bladed weapon, its eyes removed and its tongue cut out.

"Behold, the work of the black devils and their allies! An innocent, it could have been any one of you, removed from this world by evil which does not belong amongst us. How long will Baldur's Gate sleep to this terror? Is it acceptable that this glorious city and its inhabitants should be threatened by those who hide in the dark, strike like cowards and then run back to their underground gloom unpunished? Is it right that we who watch, we who stand vigilant, guarding your farms and your roads, should stand alone in protest, the only dissenting voices to a creeping evil from which none of you are safe if nothing is done about it?" she exclaimed, pausing in a dramatic fashion to put the head back where it came from and then sweeping her hand across the gathered crowd.

"Where are the other voices protesting this wickedness? I will tell you where they are... they are in bed with the drow! And who are they, you wonder?" she continued, her voice rising up in deliberate pause again as she prepared to answer her own question.

"I have witnessed, with my own two eyes, the elves themselves, supposedly mortal enemies of the drow, turned aside and now living in peace with this feral foe! You want names? I will give them to you: Kirias, Cor'Faersuor of Dharasha, Priest of Corellon! I saw him with my own eyes tutoring the murderous dog Israe'anna in the Woods of Sharp Teeth, yes, that Sharran and pirate whom was delivered unto you dead the last time I took to this pulpit," she continued, her eyes sweeping the rear of the crowd as more Flaming Fist solidiers undoubtedly began to arrive on the scene.

"There are questions to be asked, O faithful of the Flaming Fist! Be dutiful to your watch," she now turned to directly challenge them, "for within your ranks is the stench of corruption! Israe'anna, whom was delivered unto your Captain, Norton, deceased, is alive again! So whom released her corpse from your prison? Or whom stole in there under the cover of lies, bribes and corruption, taking her body away to be returned to life! Do not think the treachery of the drow has left even you untouched! Ask Duke Eltan! Ask him! Who released her body?!" she suggested with eloquent rhetoric before turning her attention to the crowds once more.

"But that is not all! Behold! The wickedness of the elves goes deeper than their own priests! Hear ye, and listen!" She paused to unfurl a small parchment she had on her, from which she began to read.

[parchment]Fellow members of Bregan D'aerthe,

On the 18th turning, progression 4225 we had a small meeting with two elves: Sirion, and Mendel of the Harpers.

Intentions of the meeting was to explore if we could lure Rlyd into a trap. However, this seems unlikely now. Despite it, a few things were discussed.

We can earn some gold on extracting or giving over information on elves who may be captured or otherwise around Sshamath.

An informal agreement was made on exchanging information for information on topics that may be of relevance to the other.

Sirion is the preferred contact, while Elementalist Vierna Hun'viir is the contact from our side.

It is likely that we will come to disagreement in our methods but until such time, we will explore where this will lead to. Any hostile actions against the Harpers are to be ceased for the time being. Having contacts among elves could prove to be quite useful.

None are to speak on elves being in contact with us outside our halls. They endanger themselves from their kin by seeking us out.[/parchment]

"So it was written by one Vesche, a drow, captain of a drow mercenary company, Bregan d'Aerthe!" she announced, letting the revelation sink in to every ear. "Siron, a elven mage who frequents this very city! Working with drow, spying! Mendel, another corrupted elf of Dharasha! Working with drow, spying! Traitors to their own kind, and to ours!"

"Do not think you can rely on the knife-ears in this matter! They are corrupted and turned aside and ally themselves with the darkness beneath! Do not think you can rely on those who skulk in the shadows, pretending to have the good of this city in their minds! They have perverted themselves with the darkness beneath! This remains the battle of men! The glory of humanity is the last bastion withstanding this evil!" she exclaimed proudly.

"So I ask you, is it treason to announce the truth? Is it treachery to expose the enemies of this city, those who bed the black devils and give them succour? Whose side are you on, Baldurians? Whose side are you on, O Flaming Fist?! For the glory of Baldur's Gate! We must stand!!! We must be vigilant!!! Long live Baldur's Gate!!!"
Arn

Unread post by Arn »

The monk had gotten to the edge of the street in his departure, but he pauses as he hears the Helmite begin to speak. He turns and listens to her address, his expression blank.

He then stays at the outskirts of the area, observing what transpires.
Mi-Le (彌勒) - "Meditate, monks. Do not be negligent, lest you regret it later." ((-Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.146))
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]

((Feel free to reach out to Mi-Le for forum RP!))

Wendi - Haggling crafter. [Bio]
Anatti
Meredith
DiceyCZ
Quality Control

Unread post by DiceyCZ »

*During the day, many could see a young woman with silver-white hair, dressed in a vine-leaf decorated tunic with red accents, wander around the Gate and pinning notices in public places. Some would recognize the person as Alcarin a Highlady of The Halls of Inner Light.*
Good people of Baldur's Gate,
Some of you may have noticed, as we have, a duo of Torm's and Helm's faithful spreading hateful preachings about supposed threats inside the city when there are Malarites and drows hunting, torturing and murdering people, when monsters grow ever stronger and bolder and when hard times like the catastrophe of Selune's Bracelet falls upon us. While the Halls of Inner Light focus on these real problems our name is being spit on and stepped on by two zealots trying to sate their craving for a witch hunt. But believe me those are nothing more than musings of people who couldn't care less about others and more about their own standing and propaganda. We may have made ill-advised judgments and mistakes in the past, but ever since it's foundations have been laid the Temple of the seven goddesses who represent love, compassion, beauty, guidance and protection, have always tried to help the best way we know how. But let me make one thing clear...we have not and would not have ever joined forces and collaborated with enemies of the city or anyone who we knew would only wish harm and misery upon others.

So let the hateful and misguided preach darkness and fires of hell, we do not have time or energy for such, instead ask yourself what else did they do other than trying to pit one good person against another? How, even if real, would they get their hands on an intern letter of a drow guild based deep in the Underdark? Why do they choose to focus on chasing rumors and discredit others instead of trying to fight the actual darkness out and about?

Sadly we do not have resources to stand out in the streets trying to push our own warped views on others, or wage a battle of wits with dimwits...instead we will be in our temple and streets helping where we can, patroling the roads and planning to stop the real threats lurking in the shadows. All I ask of you all is to think for yourself and discern what is only spiteful blabber and what really matters.

I would humbly ask you to remember how our members fought to free Kheldrivver from plagued trolls even before the temple was built, how our beloved, now retired, leader Lady Erza de Aldren uncovered vile plot to misuse people of the dock district, saved them from being beaten and worked without pay by the North West Trading company, how we took in refugee after refugee when needed and offered work, shelter and resources to those in need despite the fact that we do not engage in trade or sell our services. How we always stood with the good and righteous people against evil and cruelty whenever we had a chance. Trust in your hearts and please stand with us when we are being attacked and bombarded with faux accusations by those who only talk about mistrust and anger and who preach about pain and punishment instead of love and peace and unity.

May the Seven bless and protect us all
Highlady Alcarin Silversong
Niyressa Dawncrow (bio) - Head Magus, Bladestone Foundation
"Magic is Chaos, Art, and Science. It is a curse, a blessing, and progress. It all depends on who uses magic, how they use it, and to what purpose. And magic is everywhere. All around us.” - Yennefer
taintedseraphim

Unread post by taintedseraphim »

The Moonlady of the Halls, her amulet of Selune prominetly on display, would be there with the High Lady, showing the solidarity behind the message being posted.
Rania Marie Ragnon-Servant of Selune
Fury_US

Unread post by Fury_US »

A silver haired half elf would be seen making her way to the Wide and the Darius Holding's fish stall, ledger in hand. Around the streets and among the stalls, voices would be abuzz of the city's happenings- most notably about the recent sermons delivered by Sir Anthem of the Order of the Radiant Heart, and Pryat Mae of the Temple of Helm.

"Give thought to the words you hear", she would advise to any who would listen, while taking inventory of snapper with a crinkle of her nose. "And consider that hate, sedition, division, and fear-mongering are not the weapons of the Just." She would loft brows to any who would turn to her- possibly with a gaze that bore memory of where she stood no more than a year ago. "I'd wager the God who smiled as hearts were encouraged toward strife was not a goodly one."

She'd snap her ledger closed, and offer a charming smile. "Besides, given the frequency with which one of the Radiant Heart's senior members is seen drinking tea and in cordial discourse with the Dreadlord, it all smacks of hypocrisy, does it not?" With that, she'd receive the daily sales tally from the stall tender, and be on her way- the chiming of little silver bells ever following in her wake.

((CHA 14, Base Diplomacy bonus 39))

//edited for minor grammatical fixes.
Savina Rook- Active
Wren Di'Corvi- Retired
"A bit ex-Zhentric" -Winterborne
Darradarljod

Anthem Arnemeiger is seen to stand and speak in the Palace District of Baldur's Gate near to sunset, and despite poorer weather.

"Today, we can know for certes the drow elf city of S'shamath is near to us. As per the reputation, it is a city where the dark ones keep men as cattle. Aye, there are written reports by explorers that, at the last report, a stock of at least eight hundred humans are kept by the drow of S'shamath in slavery.

Where are these slaves taken from? Look further up the Chionthar to the farmlands of righteous Elturel, our neighbor, where my brothers worship Torm in word and deed. Look upon the regions round about you, even our own Coast. That is where they were taken from.

These were once free men as we. Torn from the land they loved and dragged below to labor and toil in the sweatshops and mineshafts of the dark elves, blind in the darkness and filth, coughing their guts out until they are dead only to be replaced by the next generation bred from the same stock as you yourself! Aye, it is more than likely you share blood with those pitiful souls below. But who considers it?

As the dark elves and the Zhentarim join their interests in mercantile, and in like manner now the Zhentarim and our fair city Baldur's Gate, we have become intrinsically connected one to another - though not in equal measures. Who truly gains from these dark partnerships? For the first time in our history the wellfare and economy of the drow influences on our own.

If you find that absurd, my friends, you are not alone. When we consider the interests of our lords may now compromise their duty toward the common man it falls to men of action like ourselves to do what we know must be done.

Those drow traveling unmolested through Soubar an the Northern Froniters of late by way of Darkhold must be met with the same righteous aggression by us as if they were demons and not elves.

To secure the existence of our people and protect the sovereignty of our city-states these dark ones must be persecuted to death! Their burrows from below must be piled with their dead until they are open no more!"

Anthem's zealous glare turned through the crowd, a holy judgement, winnowing evil with his eyes.

"Today I declare the foundation of a new Chapter to face these threats," his hand raised in the sign of Torm, "The Black Templar, in kindred spirit with the elves Shevarash - who champions the Black Archers.

Rest assured, good citizens of Baldur's Gate, our inquisition of the Sword Coast will be thorough."
V'rass

Unread post by V'rass »

*Exordius listens to the sermon and smirks*

"Ah more zealots... just what the coast needs. This guy has balls talking about holiness and righteousness when his own order is guilty of so many vile crimes hahah. And preaching about his god being righteous when he continues to grant power to such tyrants... that is even more amusing."

*He then walks off*
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
Darradarljod

A mob of Grey Orcs had infiltrated the Duchal territories. They were confronted by a small group of adventurers; Simon Atcharn, Anthem Arnemeiger, Lord Eldarian Al'maire - an icey woman wearing the sign of Mystra; Nezkreal Sezifear, and a hooded fellow with a blonde beard some might recognize as Lelande Lloros.

After defying Anthem's command to vacate Duchal Lands the Orc Leader charged the Paladin and a brutal but short melee broke out between the two groups.

At the end of the flurry of spells and weapons, some orcs were dead, others unconsious but none standing. During the final bout of combat a paladin of the Order, Anthem, was blasted to the ground in a potent burst of negative energy.

The Grey Orc shaman, from where he lay, managed to teleport his fellows away by touching a magical scar - but the radius did not extend to one unfortunate half-orc who was afterward carried south by Lelande.

After receiving aid on the scene the paladin who fell was seen to walk with helps to the Chapterhouse and not to emerge again.
Thunderbolt'

Unread post by Thunderbolt' »

A bearded wizard in green robes, familiar sight in the city by now, is seen leaving the Church of Mystra and heading North through East Gate. He carried a large bag of supplies with him.
Halron Amaryun - Diviner Wizard
Biography

Return to “Sword Coast Roleplay”