Advice for Modeling and Textures?
Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM
-
Eclypticon
- Posts: 1009
- Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm
- Location: USA
Advice for Modeling and Textures?
I have been wanting to fix up items lately and make entirely new things. I have tried to gain information on what I need to download, but have yet to fully figure this out. What software programs will I need to do 3 and 2d modeling? Furthermore, what programs should I get for custom textures? I used to know a little about this, and now my memory is fuzzy. The people I used to talk to about this are long gone. Wat do?
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: Advice for Modeling and Textures?
Maybe try here? I think they have tutorials on all kinds of stuff.
http://www.rwscreations.com/RWSForum/vi ... 86cccece18
http://www.rwscreations.com/RWSForum/vi ... 86cccece18
-
CorruptedDisciple
- Posts: 247
- Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:43 pm
Re: Advice for Modeling and Textures?
The two easiest 3D modelling software packages that come to mind are Autodesk's Maya/3ds Max. NWN2 was originally modelled via 3ds max, so give it a shot! I think Zbrush is good for texturing.
~Silias Ry'ena - Returning to Evermeet - Aegisess of the Coronal~
"Benevolence befalls the kind whilst wrath befalls the unjust."
"Benevolence befalls the kind whilst wrath befalls the unjust."
-
Eclypticon
- Posts: 1009
- Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 pm
- Location: USA
Re: Advice for Modeling and Textures?
Thank you both! I have finally found what I forgot and maybe I can get back to making stuff.
-
Duster47
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
- Location: Florida, USA
Re: Advice for Modeling and Textures?
I use Photoshop for skins, mainly because I am using it for ages, but my version does not understand *dds skin and texture files (coloring) NWN2 uses. So I use GIMP2 for converting *dds to *psd or reverse. Some high definition skins and textures use *tga files, which are fine for my Photoshop.
The normal map file ... um... I am struggling with this. I can see them in Photoshop just fine, but am presently clueless what to do with them when adding new contures to modified files. But I quickly found this from the excellent link Luna provided above. I will be reading more and hopefully remedy my cluelessness on normal maps.
GMAX (V1.2) with the NWN2 *mdb importer Plug-in is how I view and am learning to manipulate the model files (*mdb). You use it to map the skin onto the 3D shape. If you are not altering the 3D shape and only changing the skin, texture, or normal maps, then you can use the MDB Cloner tool to do just that. Change or create new *mdb file to use different skin, texture, and normal map files ( the basic * file, *_t and *_n files).
This can be very time consuming. I spent maybe 6 hours so far trying to remap a too-short and not-so PG13 outfit to be more practical and lore-reasonable for BGTSCC. Hopefully someday someone will wear it IG and look marvelous too.
Placeables require a unique 2DA file entry, so if you create those you will need NWN_2daEditor. You may need this for custom items too, but if you stick with the basic file naming protocols 2da edits are not necessary for IG items (though Icons do require a 2DA edit - there are maybe 100 2DA files?).
I found all of the above programs via NWVault or Google searches. All are free-ware except Photoshop.
The normal map file ... um... I am struggling with this. I can see them in Photoshop just fine, but am presently clueless what to do with them when adding new contures to modified files. But I quickly found this from the excellent link Luna provided above. I will be reading more and hopefully remedy my cluelessness on normal maps.
GMAX (V1.2) with the NWN2 *mdb importer Plug-in is how I view and am learning to manipulate the model files (*mdb). You use it to map the skin onto the 3D shape. If you are not altering the 3D shape and only changing the skin, texture, or normal maps, then you can use the MDB Cloner tool to do just that. Change or create new *mdb file to use different skin, texture, and normal map files ( the basic * file, *_t and *_n files).
This can be very time consuming. I spent maybe 6 hours so far trying to remap a too-short and not-so PG13 outfit to be more practical and lore-reasonable for BGTSCC. Hopefully someday someone will wear it IG and look marvelous too.
Placeables require a unique 2DA file entry, so if you create those you will need NWN_2daEditor. You may need this for custom items too, but if you stick with the basic file naming protocols 2da edits are not necessary for IG items (though Icons do require a 2DA edit - there are maybe 100 2DA files?).
I found all of the above programs via NWVault or Google searches. All are free-ware except Photoshop.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.