So, I really, really, really want to try to play a Paladin. But, not the typical Pally seen strutting around occasionally. I would love to try to play an elven Pally, devoted to serving the elvish peoples and their "father", Corellon Larethian.
I did find a few threads here where folks debated back & forth about..... "Elves are too chaotic to be a Paladin", ....and.... " It's against the canon lore with nothing to support it". Even stuff like... " Elves would/should never be Lawful Good."
Then, on the other hand, there most definitely IS source material which DOES support elven Paladins.
The best source I found was from a post right here :
http://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?p=296756#p296756
And, believe it or not, there is actually something posted right here on the forums in the section GUIDING players how to correctly play their character. ( A post by our esteemed Maecius, no less. )
Read the quote box below "PLAYING A SUN ELF".
http://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?p=81595#p81595
So, two questions I respectfully put forward, if you please.
1) May I attempt to create and play my character concept ? If not, can some type of "official " decision or statement on the matter be given for future reference ?
2) If I am given permission to attempt such, how can it be done, mechanics-wise ? I tried to make a Lawful Good Paladin and/or LG Favored Soul, but then cannot select any elven diety. If allowed, is it simply a matter of making the character, then having a DM change the diety AFTER character creation ? ( I was hoping for a FS/Pally mix, not sure if that complicates the engine issues...)
I hope this is not interpretted as my request for a "special-snowflake" type of character. Rare, yes , but not a Drizzt type rare, by any means. I just want to bring some more faith/religion-based roleplay into the server, but not the typical cleric/priest types often seen.
I will dare to call myself a "Role-player" (although not nearly as gifted as some others here, I am trying) as opposed to a power-builder / grinder type. And, this character really IS being brewed up as a roleplay concept in conjunction with at least one other player/character . If required, I would be willing to submit any details requested about this.
Thank for at least reading this far, and any assistance offered.
TL DR ; Can I Puhleeez make an elven Paladin of Corellon Larethian ??