I was suggested to stick only to one kind of tree per map, with a maximum of 25, that way it reduces lag. But this game was made 12 years ago, can't I go wild on the trees for a richer look?
Also, I have "shrubs" as placeables, as trees and as painted texture. Which of the them creates less lag?
Trees.
Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM
-
Vekin
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 1:53 pm
- Location: England
Re: Trees.
You can use more than one type of tree, years ago the rule of thumb was no more than five types to save on the lag though I have often built using more. Remember to use the seed and scale options to add variety. I have not used placeable trees myself but they would probably save on lag if used snd turned into environmental objects.
-
Duster47
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm
- Location: Florida, USA
Re: Trees.
Think about a forest and how many different types of trees are there. Looking out my office window I see a bunch of pine trees, a few live oaks, various palmetto and palm types. Nature is not that particularly varied on the hundreds-of-meters scale, so the five-types is actually sensible w.r.t. nature. Civilization is different of course with more cultivated variety.
Beware of grass. It also contributes to lag. Perhaps more so than trees since every instance contributes to increasing frame rate, while trees (and most other PLCs and EOs) only add to FR with each new type.
Beware of grass. It also contributes to lag. Perhaps more so than trees since every instance contributes to increasing frame rate, while trees (and most other PLCs and EOs) only add to FR with each new type.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, last seen roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
-
Luna
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 7945
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm
Re: Trees.
Ye what Vekin said.Vekin wrote:You can use more than one type of tree, years ago the rule of thumb was no more than five types to save on the lag though I have often built using more. Remember to use the seed and scale options to add variety. I have not used placeable trees myself but they would probably save on lag if used snd turned into environmental objects.
At some point in time graphics cards started catching up to this game so it became less of a problem using a lot of trees.
-
mrieder79
- Posts: 875
- Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am
Re: Trees.
I always limited myself to a few types because it always looks more natural that way. I have seen areas that had such a variety of trees it left me wondering what sort of ecosystem I was in. Varying size and seed# produces a fantastic effect with just a few types. Choose 3 types of big trees, maybe one or two dead types to throw in here and there, and some underbrush types. That will look best.
-
LISA100595
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 5202
- Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm
Re: Trees.
I tend to do the same.mrieder79 wrote:I always limited myself to a few types because it always looks more natural that way. I have seen areas that had such a variety of trees it left me wondering what sort of ecosystem I was in. Varying size and seed# produces a fantastic effect with just a few types. Choose 3 types of big trees, maybe one or two dead types to throw in here and there, and some underbrush types. That will look best.
Lady Elvina Aira-S'efarro - The Order of the Silver Rose
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander