Several days ago, my PC wanted to Scry someone. I asked on the DM channel for assistance, and I was told by a full DM (as opposed to an ADM) that this was not allowed because there is a Scry spell IG. I found this a peculiar response, as I've known DMs to allow the actual PnP implementation of Scry in the past. In fact, this was the preferred method, as otherwise PCs couldn't Scry using the PnP method due to the rule on PnP spell usage.
There was a question asked over a year ago in which a then-DM (Galatea) gave an opinion about why Scry should stay with the DMs as opposed to being returned to the players. As I've understood that post, the DMs have the authority to supervise Scry attempts that follow PnP as opposed to the (rather clunky) IG version. Is this accurate?
The RP has long since passed, but it would be nice to have a clear response for future reference on whether or not DMs can assist with PnP Scry.
Scrying Between Players - Can DMs Not Help?
Moderators: DM Arkanis, Moderator, DM
-
TarnishedSoul
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 1868
- Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:06 pm
- Location: Candlekeep
-
DM Ditto
- Posts: 2258
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:47 pm
Re: Scrying Between Players - Can DMs Not Help?
In that past period I believe scry was not implemented yet, so any and all instances of scrying had to be supervised by DMs. Scry is now an in-game spell so the expectation was that you can mechanically scry people now, provided that they are not under a non-detection spell.
DM Galatea's opinion is simply that, an opinion, and their post isn't necessarily reflective of the entire DM team in general (like this post!
). I don't think there has been any official ruling on how scrying is treated by the team as a whole, though it is an individual DM's perogative if they want to use the IG implementation or the PnP implementation.
DM Galatea's opinion is simply that, an opinion, and their post isn't necessarily reflective of the entire DM team in general (like this post!
Forum Rules | Server Rules | PvP Rules
Text in pink is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the DM Team in general!
Text in pink is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the DM Team in general!