MISSION: My mission, as a DM, is very simple: I seek to bring the world of Baldur's Gate: The Sword Coast Chronicles to life for as many players as I am able. To this end, I will be running small "flavor" encounters -- interspersing Forgotten Realms lore and history into the encounter as I am able -- just as often as I will be running large events.
Do not be surprised if you run into a small group of bandits seeking shelter from the rain in a cave on one of your adventures; or a traveling ranger out in the woods; or a drunken brawl in one of the inns or taverns. I feel that these small encounters will do as much to bring the world alive for the players as will my larger, more player-centric "events."
And that, ultimately, is my goal as a DM: To create a more reactive and more real environment for you, the player.
RULES: I try not to be too strict when it comes to my own, personal rules of play. I want you to be flexible, to come up with your own ways of solving the problems I place before you, and to interact with the environment as you feel your character would. But there are three central points that I feel are very important, and which I must insist you take note of when you are interacting with me in one of my events:
The Golden Rule: I expect players to treat each other civilly, even when they don't particularly like one another. Ideally we'll all get along, but even if some of us do not, player-to-player cruelty or harassment will absolutely not be tolerated by either myself or by the others on staff. Remember that this is a game, and we are all playing it to relax and enjoy ourselves: The moment things become too heated between players (as opposed to their characters), I will intervene. If you are at fault, you will not be happy with my intervention.
Creative Solutions Create Great Roleplay: Roleplaying is collaborative storytelling, and I refuse to have my own storytelling hobbled by the limitations of a video game. I highly encourage you to interact to the situations I place before you with your own, creative, in-character solutions: If you wish to dive into the river to get away from someone -- do it. If you wish to cast a spell that isn't available to you in-game, but that exists in the D&D source material, and that your character has adequate cause to have access to -- do it. If you wish to climb a tree to get a better view of your surroundings -- do it (but be prepared to roll some strength, and, or, dexterity checks). In short, don't let the game stop your brain; approach everything as would your character.
The "No Sleeping While Slaying" Law: I ask that players do not rest during my events, except when I explicitly give you permission to do so. I feel that resting regularly during an event not only ruins the immersion, but also limits (if not entirely eliminates) the possibility of roleplaying certain situations (exhaustion and injury; healing by bandage or spell; etc.) and sidelines the importance of certain classes (particularly noncaster classes). Resting without permission will be punished with an experience penalty.
PERSONAL REQUESTS: I agree with DM Jinx: Having a DM take a personal interest in your character's developing story can really enhance the game for that player, and that player character's circle of allies and, or, friends. Like DM Jinx, I therefore encourage you to PM me a short biography of your character, so that I can design events and encounters around you. With the background, I encourage you to send me a paragraph or two about how you would like to develop your character's story, so that I know where you want the character to end up. I will not guarantee that you will, in fact, end up achieving your character's goals: But knowing your goals is of potentially great importance to me when I am designing a plot around you.
I usually am available to DM between 8 PM and 12 AM, Central Standard Time (UTC -5). I can only realistically pick up personal player plots for players who regularly play during this same time slot.
CONCLUSION: In conclusion, I hope to bring the world to life in three ways: By providing small, unexpected encounters to individual players and groups; By providing events and quests that people can involve themselves in; And by providing story arcs that are tailor-made to individual player characters.
In exchange, I expect you to respect your fellow players; to remember that this is a game and we're all playing it to have fun; and to respect the rules of the server and the community. If you can do these three things, we will get along great!
DM Maecius's Events
Moderators: Moderator, DM
-
Maecius
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 11639
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:24 pm
Re: DM Maecius's Events
MAECIUS'S PLOT ENTREPÔT:
The following plots and campaigns are those which I am currently directing in my capacity as a DM. As my plots stack up, I will list them here for my own reference, and for the reference of those involved in them.
The Whistling Wanderess:
Mealir Ostirel has spent months gathering supplies and funds for the construction of a seagoing vessel. With his dream nearly realized, his spirits are certainly high: But who knows what foul twists fate yet has in store for him and his crew.
[ Plot Thread: http://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21469 ]
[ Lead Protagonist: Mealir Ostirel ]
[ Continuation Date: Postponed Until February ]
[ Current Development: 75% ]
Stop ... Hammer Time!:
The ranger, Catam, and two close associates, Azeem and Nathaniel, travel to the city of Daggerford to ask the famed smith Derval Ironeater to construct for them some undead-crushing warhammers. In the process of acquiring their hammers, they help a cart-wrecked halfling couple, catch a thief for the Daggerford Militia, and explore the dangerous Trollbark Forest.
[ Plot Thread: N/A ]
[ Lead Protagonists: Catam, Azeem, Nathaniel ]
[ Continuation Date: FINISHED ]
[ Current Development: 100% ]
Previous Campaigns:
A Dead Man's Bargain
Black Beast of Gullykin
Candlekeep Mage Fair
Cat-Fearing Cat Burglars
Clangor Clash
Cloakwood Fey
Death of the Beast
Demonologist's Doom
Friendly Arm Inn Incident
Ghost Busters
Heading Home: A Firesoul's Journey
Illicit Illithid Investigations
I'm On A Boat
Night of a Hundred Swords
One More Crazy Cat Lady
Paladin's Sword
Path of Many
Spider's Wish
Starsinger's Quest
Strange Egg
To Slay A Dragon
Tusks, Teeth and Talons
Plus the miscellaneous one-shots and multi-part campaigns that currently slip my mind.
The following plots and campaigns are those which I am currently directing in my capacity as a DM. As my plots stack up, I will list them here for my own reference, and for the reference of those involved in them.
The Whistling Wanderess:
Mealir Ostirel has spent months gathering supplies and funds for the construction of a seagoing vessel. With his dream nearly realized, his spirits are certainly high: But who knows what foul twists fate yet has in store for him and his crew.
[ Plot Thread: http://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21469 ]
[ Lead Protagonist: Mealir Ostirel ]
[ Continuation Date: Postponed Until February ]
[ Current Development: 75% ]
- \ - / -
Stop ... Hammer Time!:
The ranger, Catam, and two close associates, Azeem and Nathaniel, travel to the city of Daggerford to ask the famed smith Derval Ironeater to construct for them some undead-crushing warhammers. In the process of acquiring their hammers, they help a cart-wrecked halfling couple, catch a thief for the Daggerford Militia, and explore the dangerous Trollbark Forest.
[ Plot Thread: N/A ]
[ Lead Protagonists: Catam, Azeem, Nathaniel ]
[ Continuation Date: FINISHED ]
[ Current Development: 100% ]
- \ - / -
Previous Campaigns:
A Dead Man's Bargain
Black Beast of Gullykin
Candlekeep Mage Fair
Cat-Fearing Cat Burglars
Clangor Clash
Cloakwood Fey
Death of the Beast
Demonologist's Doom
Friendly Arm Inn Incident
Ghost Busters
Heading Home: A Firesoul's Journey
Illicit Illithid Investigations
I'm On A Boat
Night of a Hundred Swords
One More Crazy Cat Lady
Paladin's Sword
Path of Many
Spider's Wish
Starsinger's Quest
Strange Egg
To Slay A Dragon
Tusks, Teeth and Talons
Plus the miscellaneous one-shots and multi-part campaigns that currently slip my mind.
-
Maecius
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 11639
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:24 pm
Re: DM Maecius's Events
Due to the great variety of quests and encounters I've backlogged, I've decided not to archive my quests after all.
I'd much rather run them than write about them.
As such, I've deleted my previous event synopses and replaced them instead with a list of my ongoing plots. This should help those currently involved with me in knownig when their next event is due to take place; and it helps give me and others a general idea of what is on my plate at any given moment.
As such, I've deleted my previous event synopses and replaced them instead with a list of my ongoing plots. This should help those currently involved with me in knownig when their next event is due to take place; and it helps give me and others a general idea of what is on my plate at any given moment.
r e s o u r c e s :
- BG:TSCC Wiki
- Community News
- Server Rules and Information
- Supporting BG:TSCC-
Maecius
- Retired Admin
- Posts: 11639
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 4:24 pm
Re: DM Maecius's Events
*Blows some dust off this old thread. Updates PLOT ENTREPÔT. Goes back to campaign work.*
r e s o u r c e s :
- BG:TSCC Wiki
- Community News
- Server Rules and Information
- Supporting BG:TSCC