it's relative to the hands you have !
I know it's a "lapalissade" but there are many models of hands and the first thing needed to correct the problem is to know which hands must be corrected. Then when we have found the hands, maybe it's too much work !
I explain, hands are very difficult to rig correctly. You must adjust the mesh so that each finger are around the corresponding bones, and it's not easy. For some hands, there is so much work, that's it's better to discard them.
A picture being better than a speach, here is an armor I am porting to NWN2, and the original hands from NWN2 : I must put all fingers from the new armor at the position of games finger ... all that without distorting too much the mesh and the link with the arm :
So it's perhaps a not full satisfying response, but if changing the hands resolve the problem, it will be preferable
Luniel Kumerian half angel/half barbarian follower of Séluné, returned to her small insignifiant village and lives her insignifiant life quietly
Xullrae Illivara, former weapon master of house Bhaelyndryn small house in Elyndryn
Onyx Amberdark (current PC) young female warrior from the Red Tigers