I did perform this - I have yet to see any DM rulings on the matter - simply because the player themselves seemed to think it was holding back their character. However, I profoundly disliked this from an OOC sense, simply because it felt so incredibly metagamey. Both sides of it did - a succeeding Smite Evil or a failed Smite Evil effectively determining what a paladin can judge about a character.
It got me thinking. It isn't just the Smite ability. It is also the holy damage inflicted by Holy Sword. This gives a callback to the Detect Evil spell from PnP.
Simply put the questions I want to ask are the following.
Is information from Smite Evil known to the paladin?- If it is not, is there a way of regulating the use of this ability in this manner?
- If this is intended, would the DMs instead consider some fair implementation of Detect Evil instead of this detection via Smiting?