DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

The Latest on DM Events and Campaigns.

Moderators: Moderator, DM

User avatar
DM Honk
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 am

DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DM Honk »

Image

*✲*´*。.❄¯*✲。❄。*¨`*✲´*。❄¨`*✲。❄。*`*
*╔════════════ ༺❀༻❤༺❀༻ ════════════╗*
*♥*❄¯*✲❄♫♪♩░░D░M░-░H░O░N░K░░ ♫♫♪❄¯*✲❄
*╚════════════ ༺❀༻❤༺❀༻ ════════════╝*
*✲*´*。.❄¯*✲。❄。*¨`*✲´*。❄¨`*✲。❄。*`*


Honkin' Around: A brief guide to events with DM Honk

Hello players! I'll try to be brief because no one likes walls of text apart from insane fellas in Candlekeep, so... I like to keep my events as close as possible to PnP experiences. I enjoy narrative taking over mechanical play, when possible even during combat! I see D&D as a cooperative experience so I'm not here to be your enemy, or antagonize you, quite the contrary!

PLAYER CAP IN EVENTS: SIX
My Discord Username: eien3312

=PLAYER ACTIONS IN MY PLOTS=
In the attempt to be as fair as possible I am allowing players one action PER MONTH, to have their characters affect the story and events. This is mainly for the following reasons:
  • Balancing activity between particularly prolific players and slower ones.
  • Having players think more carefully about how their characters will act.
  • To reflect the time a character spends during "offscreen" time consuming activity (a character can't be everywhere at any time).
  • To help me manage my time and divide more fairly between more players.
Before submitting a request to affect one my plots be mindful of the above. I may ask you to restrict your actions if I believe your character is doing too much for one month.
=Calling for Divine Aid=
This paragraph is added to address the use of spells, mainly divine, that are cast to ask for divinations of the future and replies from deities and other beings. I had to reply to a great deal of PMs of this nature in the past and I always find myself in a bit of a tight spot with this.

I just ask you to be mindful with the use of these spells as they require more work my end than what it might appear. Answering about the future or answering to specific questions as a deity or other powerful being may require a good amount of thought. To that, there's also great potential for misunderstandings so the replies to these spells have to be considered with a great deal of care.

If you choose to use any such spells during my plots, please try to do it with this in mind. Try to aim your spells as best as you possibly can, quality over quantity. Less work for me and less confusion for you.

Image
  • Asking and explaining rolls before you roll them.
  • Creative ideas to solve problems, I love being caught off guard!
  • Groups working as a team and planning their actions to coordinate themselves.
  • Keeping things IC as much as possible.
  • Players proceeding through maps slowly.

Image
  • Players rolling dice out of the blue.
  • Players resting without asking for permission.
  • Unnecessary and lengthy OOC interactions.
  • Gardeners enjoying a day of work under the sun.

Image
This section might be updated with relative frequency depending on my IRL circumstances, presently my availability tends to be around the following days and time, for what concerns booking events (unless booked by someone else already, or other IRL circumstances):
  • Mondays: Not available
  • Tuesdays: Not available
  • Wednesdays: Not available
  • Thursdays: Available from 6pm GMT+0
  • Fridays: Available from 6pm GMT+0
  • Saturdays: Available from 2pm GMT+0
  • Sundays: Available from 2pm GMT+0
Last edited by DM Honk on Mon May 30, 2022 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
DM Honk
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 am

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DM Honk »

Hello there,

A quick announcement from your local goose.

After a month and a half of DMing I decided to reveal my player identity due to coordination reasons. It's really hard for me to follow two discord accounts to arrange time and dates with some of you.

So my player account will be taking over my DM discord account to make the process easier for you all and for me as well.

For clarity, my player account is Eien#3312. Feel free to add me to your faction discord if you have any pending events with me that need to be arranged.

Cheers,
DM Honk
User avatar
DM Honk
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 am

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DM Honk »

Update:
  • Added player cap six players, in events.
This decision is not easy but I feel it necessary for what I intend to be as a Dungeon Master. In two months of activity I tried all sorts of events and situations and I don't think it's possible for me to host an event that I'd be satisfied with, having more than 6 players. I'd like to follow a more PnP based approach with more detail and care for player actions as I'm not a fan nor an expert of this game's mechanics. My goal is to reach an experience that'd be as close as possible as sitting with you around a table playing regular D&D. To me this is not possible with a high player count.

I understand this raises the matter of inclusivity, but I'd rather make a satisfied few instead of an unsatisfied large group.
User avatar
DM Honk
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 am

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DM Honk »

[RESIGNATION]

Hello everyone, the title is pretty self explanatory. I decided to put this here in writing to explain why instead of giving room for rumours (people do love those).

I am resigning from my ADM position.


I approached this role with an open and fairly positive mindset, I can say I took on a relevant amount of work and challenges for a newbie and I applied to help make things better for players. For a relatively short timeframe, around 2 months, I gave all of my free time to this role to try and help in that sense.

I have never been a DM on a PW so I had to learn everything from scratch, despite that I still tried to take on events and requests that were not exactly newbie friendly to challenge myself.

While I must say I did learn a lot, it slowly became hard to cope with drama and toxicity. In an environment such as this, no matter what choice you make as a DM, there will always be someone walking out unhappy. This reached a point that I spent more time dealing with that than actual DMing, which probably applies for my colleagues too.

I came to realize that because of this constant shower of toxicity my mood was falling, my real job's performance was getting lower and my life becoming worse. So I decided to take a long distance for about a month, and I've been great. Staying away truly helped me.

And this is why I make this decision today, I resign because I need to think about myself.

It has been very interesting to see things from this side and I want to tell you all that nobody behind the curtains wants you to be unhappy or bully you, every DM in the Team wants for everyone to have fun but part of being a DM is also keeping things consistent and approaching players when things go badly.

No one in the team is happy to do that, no one is happy when things go wrong. Please be patient and respectful with the DMs.

Cheers,

ADM Honk
Tanlaus
Quality Control
Posts: 1250
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:15 pm

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by Tanlaus »

DM Honk wrote: ↑Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:36 pm
[RESIGNATION]

Hello everyone, the title is pretty self explanatory. I decided to put this here in writing to explain why instead of giving room for rumours (people do love those).

I am resigning from my ADM position.


I approached this role with an open and fairly positive mindset, I can say I took on a relevant amount of work and challenges for a newbie and I applied to help make things better for players. For a relatively short timeframe, around 2 months, I gave all of my free time to this role to try and help in that sense.

I have never been a DM on a PW so I had to learn everything from scratch, despite that I still tried to take on events and requests that were not exactly newbie friendly to challenge myself.

While I must say I did learn a lot, it slowly became hard to cope with drama and toxicity. In an environment such as this, no matter what choice you make as a DM, there will always be someone walking out unhappy. This reached a point that I spent more time dealing with that than actual DMing, which probably applies for my colleagues too.

I came to realize that because of this constant shower of toxicity my mood was falling, my real job's performance was getting lower and my life becoming worse. So I decided to take a long distance for about a month, and I've been great. Staying away truly helped me.

And this is why I make this decision today, I resign because I need to think about myself.

It has been very interesting to see things from this side and I want to tell you all that nobody behind the curtains wants you to be unhappy or bully you, every DM in the Team wants for everyone to have fun but part of being a DM is also keeping things consistent and approaching players when things go badly.

No one in the team is happy to do that, no one is happy when things go wrong. Please be patient and respectful with the DMs.

Cheers,

ADM Honk
Sorry to see you go but it’s completely understandable. Just to leave things in a positive note know that you were universally loved and appreciated by the UD players who had a chance to play in some of your events. They were well thought out, felt very much like a pnp session and created some fond memories we still talk about.
User avatar
DaloLorn
Posts: 2478
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:44 am

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DaloLorn »

It's always the best that burn out the fastest... :cry:
Retiree. Ex-fixer of random bits. Discord ghost.
Active characters: ... What did you think "retiree" meant, again? :think:
User avatar
DM Honk
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 am

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DM Honk »

User avatar
DM Honk
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 am

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DM Honk »


Image

Theme:
Hidden: show

Plot themes: Intrigue / Politics
Level: Any
Combat: There may be but this aims to be a plot with few combat encounters

The Iron Throne has begun to spread its influence in the city of Baldur's Gate. The Iron Throne is a mysterious mercantile organization that operates in the Heartlands. Though it controls much of the weapons trade across the realms, its leadership and hierarchy remained unknown to those outside its ranks. Despite some suspects of it being a shady group it was known to be an honorable business that served the best interests of the realms.

In the coming days/weeks/months I will be bringing this plot forward for anyone wanting to get involved in some intrigue and politics, blood will be spilled in the name of power and wealth, who knows how things will end?

User avatar
DM Honk
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 am

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DM Honk »

1st post updated with some updated/extra information:

- General availability
- Updated discord name
User avatar
DM Honk
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 am

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DM Honk »

ADDED THE BELOW:
=PLAYER ACTIONS IN MY PLOTS=
In the attempt to be as fair as possible I am allowing players one action PER MONTH, to have their characters affect the story and events. This is mainly for the following reasons:
  • Balancing activity between particularly prolific players and slower ones.
  • Having players think more carefully about how their characters will act.
  • To reflect the time a character spends during "offscreen" time consuming activity (a character can't be everywhere at any time).
  • To help me manage my time and divide more fairly between more players.
Before submitting a request to affect one my plots be mindful of the above. I may ask you to restrict your actions if I believe your character is doing too much for one month.
User avatar
DM Honk
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 am

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DM Honk »

Hello everyone!

As of late I've been rather busy juggling an amount of IC actions and situations so I feel like the quality of my narration may suffer from time to time.

This is mainly an invitation to share your feedback, if you have come across my work and you feel like something should have been handled differently for whatever reason, feel free to send me a private message on the forum.

I just need to understand if in this flow of work I'm leaving someone behind or if I'm not meeting your expectations for any reason. Understanding what areas need improvement, or what areas are handled well.

Just your local friendly goose inviting you to share your opinions.

Cheers,
Honk
User avatar
DM Honk
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 am

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DM Honk »

Added the following paragraph:
=Calling for Divine Aid=
This paragraph is added to address the use of spells, mainly divine, that are cast to ask for divinations of the future and replies from deities and other beings. I had to reply to a great deal of PMs of this nature in the past and I always find myself in a bit of a tight spot with this.

I just ask you to be mindful with the use of these spells as they require more work my end than what it might appear. Answering about the future or answering to specific questions as a deity or other powerful being may require a good amount of thought. To that, there's also great potential for misunderstandings so the replies to these spells have to be considered with a great deal of care.

If you choose to use any such spells during my plots, please try to do it with this in mind. Try to aim your spells as best as you possibly can, quality over quantity. Less work for me and less confusion for you.
User avatar
DM Honk
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 am

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DM Honk »

Quick announcement:

I am going to be away for holidays between the 18th of February and the 2nd of March.

During this time I wont be scheduling events, I might sporadically answer on the forum but it's not guaranteed.

Thank you!
User avatar
DM Honk
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 am

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DM Honk »

Hello everyone,

This is just an update about myself.

Since I got back from holidays I found myself struggling getting back on track, feeling like there's so much to be caught up on and reply to.

I won't lie, it has been overwhelming, to the point that I struggled at the idea of opening the forum and see how much work there's to do.

Also the time on holiday made me realise how much time I was spending on all this and I believe I need some extra time away to think all of this over.

I will be on hiatus for some time, I do apologise to those that were expecting work from me but I really think I do need some extra time away.

As for the plot I am running, people can assume that the Fist and their allies are effectively working to manage the drug emergency, although this is a process that will take a long time to resolve.

Again, apologies.
User avatar
DM Honk
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 am

Re: DM Honk Events [Honkin' Around]

Unread post by DM Honk »

Hello again everyone.

I will be back in business starting next week, the PM situation was getting a bit overwhelming so I had to mark all as read.

If you have anything that needs my specific attention, please send that to me again specifically and I will begin addressing all of those things starting next week.

Specifically: matters around the drugs plot in Baldur's Gate / matters around the Iron Throne / matters about nobles houses of BG

Regarding Torchtower in the Tunlands: I will have to drop this line because it was originally put on the table as a way to make the world feel more alive and bring news from somewhere far, I wasn't expecting originally to see players pick it up. I am not a fan of starting plots in faraway places and I prefer keeping things in ingame maps where possible. All things Torchtower will be dropped saying that's a matter being dealt by the political players and factions of that region.

Additionally: I will not respond to any direct message on discord regarding BG and anything BG related. I have tried in the past and it's simply not feasible. Please do not take that personally, I'm trying to sort myself out to find spaces and time to dedicate to myself.

Thank you for your understanding.

HDM Honk

Return to “Dungeon Master Realms”